Careers from a history degree

CH Pupils:- Want some advice on a career you're interested in? Want some job contacts for work experience, qualifications required?
Old Blues:- Want to support pupils and other old blues with careers advice in your area of expertise?

Moderator: Moderators

Lizzie
2nd Former

Careers from a history degree

Post by Lizzie »

I'm going to do ancient history at uni; what jobs do people usually go into after such a degree? I don't have anything particular in mind - perhaps politics? - but it would be good to have some advice from those who have done it before me! Lizzie (deps, LHA) :)
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Re: Careers from a history degree

Post by cstegerlewis »

Whatever you like, most important thing is you enjoy it and learn from the 'process of learning'

My other half did History, and ended up as a Treasury Manager in an Oil Company, before 'retiring' to have a family at 31 (I do hope she will find gainful employment sometime :shock: )
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

cstegerlewis wrote:Whatever you like, most important thing is you enjoy it and learn from the 'process of learning'

My other half did History, and ended up as a Treasury Manager in an Oil Company, before 'retiring' to have a family at 31 (I do hope she will find gainful employment sometime :shock: )
Sounds like she has - At the age of 31 !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Nice reply JR
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Lizzie wrote:I'm going to do ancient history at uni; what jobs do people usually go into after such a degree? I don't have anything particular in mind - perhaps politics? - but it would be good to have some advice from those who have done it before me! Lizzie (deps, LHA) :)
I agree with the sentiment of doing something that you'll enjoy, BUT only if that's your main aim in studying.
You're unlikely to be good at something you don't enjoy (especially at Uni, as there's too many other distractions!), but as you're likely to build up a lot of debt through Uni it's important you know what's at the end of it - how refreshing to see someone really asking those questions, and thinking about it properly!

I can't help re. History specifically, but it's definitely worth persuing trying to find out the typical careers people do/can go into.
You could try asking Wendy (CHA Administrator) in the CHA Office/Counting House to see if she can search the Careers Database for anyone who did History at Uni who's on there - she may be able to point you in the right direction.

The other way to look at it - what do you really want to do after Uni, and can you get to do it with a good History degree? i.e. if you wanted to work in IT then a degree in "Pop Studies" just doesn't cut it!

Unfortunately the old "a degree is a passport to any job" just isn't true any more.....
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.