Old Blue support is vital

CH Pupils:- Want some advice on a career you're interested in? Want some job contacts for work experience, qualifications required?
Old Blues:- Want to support pupils and other old blues with careers advice in your area of expertise?

Moderator: Moderators

Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

what kind of stuff?

I may just want to get into the travel industry and may just be graduating soonish....
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

well ive been out of uni for a year now and have got ajob that required my degree-shock horror! I would be happy to give advice or anything

Also i think work experince should be addressed but we do have long enough holidays particularly summer to maybe go find our own, i did and i worked every school holiday i had
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hannoir wrote:what kind of stuff?

I may just want to get into the travel industry and may just be graduating soonish....
I'm not sure - I will have to find out...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Great Plum wrote:
Hannoir wrote:what kind of stuff?

I'm not sure - I will have to find out...
please do...I'd love to consider the travel industry as a career choice.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

OK, time for an update here, I think.

As a member of the CHA Advisory Board, one of my allotted tasks is to look at the whole issue of the careers network, and how it can be made to work more efficiently to everyone's benefit.

As things stand at the moment, there exists a network of potental 'advisors' who have declared themselves willing to offer help and advice over a very broad range of potental careers. This was put together with the help of the meticulous work of Neville Osmond and the CHA office.

However, despite various 'peaks' from time to time, the usage statistics have been disappointingly low, and the whole thing needs to be updated and reinvigorated.

Several issues need to be addressed before this can happen.

Firstly, and most importantly, the database itself. There are various elements of this which currently seem to exist separately, and these need to be brought together and made readily available to those people (i.e. the CHA office) who need access to them on a day-to-day basis. This is part of ongoing work at C.H., and is subject to the usual constraints of time and money. I'm hoping that this will happen sooner rather than later, though.

Secondly, it will be necessary to contact ALL potential advisors to ensure that they are still able and willing to assist.

We will then need to look at those areas where there are no advisors, and, with the help of the office, approach individual Old Blues in the various sectors to see if they would be willing to help.

I would envisage expanding this to include Old Blues living overseas, who may be offer help to those thinking of travelling to and / or working in a particular country, offering essential advice on laws / customs / local business practice etc.

The final piece of the jigsaw will be to try to link all this to the school's own careers advice service, which I would imagine will require a fair amount of discussion in itself, as the CHA office will need to operate as the link between the CH and Old Blue communities.

So, this will all take a while to put in place, but the aim is to establish a service which is permanent, wide-ranging and efficient in its operation.

In the meantime, if anyone can offer (or indeed is looking for) any help or advice please use the contact forms which can be found on the CHA site :

http://www.chassociation.org/contacts/index.php

This information won't go into limbo, and the office will endeavour to put people in touch with each other where appropriate.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Sergiu Panaite
3rd Former

Post by Sergiu Panaite »

While all the ideas here are great, I would be tempted to say that a private community site geared towards this would be a great asset too.

I don't have any solid ideas as to what that might be yet - a sub-forum with categories for different work areas would be a simple and quick implementation, a better one would be something like Monster, or maybe even a LinkedIn-style approach (if those don't mean much, no worries - I'll happily work a rough idea if the response is positive). Needless to say there would be associated costs, but I'd imagine the OB community would happily support this if it was good enough.

At the same time, it would really have to be "advertised" to Grecians and Old Blues because, in the end, the idea would be worthless without a community.

So... is anyone up for a long-ish term project? Do people here think it would benefit CH enough to justify it?
Serg
LaB '97-'98, MaA '98-'99, MaB '99-'01, GrE '01-'02 - confused?