Careers with the Airlines

CH Pupils:- Want some advice on a career you're interested in? Want some job contacts for work experience, qualifications required?
Old Blues:- Want to support pupils and other old blues with careers advice in your area of expertise?

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Wheeler
2nd Former

Careers with the Airlines

Post by Ian Wheeler »

I've been a pilot with bmi (British Midland) for over 16 years now and would be very happy to talk to anyone interested in this great career whether as a pilot or a hostie (I'm married to one!)

Ian Wheeler
CH 80-87
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Hi Baggy, Simon Light is trying to track you down - try 'search' on your name and you will probably find the thread
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
Ian Wheeler
2nd Former

Post by Ian Wheeler »

Thanks Craig, we've recently made contact. How are things with you?
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Good, working as a Programme Manager in the Aerospace Industry - what do you fly, I might make the Generators :D

Settled with 2 children in Hertfordshire, need to get away from computers more often :!:
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
mattyjadams
2nd Former

Post by mattyjadams »

Ian.
I have sent you a PM.
Chay_z11
2nd Former

Re: Careers with the Airlines

Post by Chay_z11 »

Hi,

Over the past couple of years I have had an increasing interest in aviation, and have developed a desire to become a pilot, though I don't want to go through the armed forces. I was wondering if you could help me out in any way, for example, places/cost for training (for any of the licences (PPL, ATPL, etc), what to study (subjects from sixth form onwards) and/or what to do after school (university, extra training, where to go). I've done a fair amount of research and have read about this sort of thing, I was just looking around on here and thought some first hand feedback would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.
Chayton Kent
Peele A 50
2006-2011
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hi Chayton,

there is a guy who was on my year, Paul Stevenson, who is now a pilot for BA - I'll see if I can get him to post on here!

Matt
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

There is a forum member ex Col A in my time who was a loadmaster in Montreal a year or two back; he has to be close to 63 and may be retired by now.;
Chay_z11
2nd Former

Post by Chay_z11 »

Ian Wheeler wrote:I've been a pilot with bmi (British Midland) for over 16 years now and would be very happy to talk to anyone interested in this great career whether as a pilot or a hostie (I'm married to one!)

Ian Wheeler
CH 80-87
hi, just wondering if anyone who read my previous post can help me at all? i'm also looking for any information on full or part sponsorships i could get hold of or apply for in the south east (south of london). Thanks,
Chayton Kent
Peele A 50
2006-2011