Film

CH Pupils:- Want some advice on a career you're interested in? Want some job contacts for work experience, qualifications required?
Old Blues:- Want to support pupils and other old blues with careers advice in your area of expertise?

Moderator: Moderators

marty
Grecian

Film

Post by marty »

Does anyone work either in the film industry or know any literary agents who represent screenwriters?

I've written a feature length film script (my magnificent octopus as Baldrick would call it). I'd like to develop it further and eventually see it made into an 80/90 minute film.

I've tried writing to literary agents but they won't even read it. I simply get told they're not looking to take on any new clients. I've sent it to the BBC and a couple of small independent film companies who are now reading it. I'm starting to feel the film industry is more how about who you know and not what you know.

Any words of help/encouragement most appreciated.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Film

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

marty wrote:Does anyone work either in the film industry or know any literary agents who represent screenwriters?

I've written a feature length film script (my magnificent octopus as Baldrick would call it). I'd like to develop it further and eventually see it made into an 80/90 minute film.

I've tried writing to literary agents but they won't even read it. I simply get told they're not looking to take on any new clients. I've sent it to the BBC and a couple of small independent film companies who are now reading it. I'm starting to feel the film industry is more how about who you know and not what you know.

Any words of help/encouragement most appreciated.

Hi Marty

My son is studying cinematography, but I'm not sure how useful he and his contacts will be to you, as we are in Australia. However, I will read your post to him when I next speak to him.

I'm sure that you are right about the who rather than what you know, but my gut instinct is that your script is rather long.

I was going to suggest that you contact colleges such as the one where my son is studying, but I'm not sure that they would be interested in such a big project.

Will let you know what Mitch thinks, and will be interested to hear what others have to say.

Good luck.

Caroline
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Thanks very much Caroline! I'm not sure what you mean when you say my script is too long - 80 minutes is about standard length for a feature film!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

marty wrote:Thanks very much Caroline! I'm not sure what you mean when you say my script is too long - 80 minutes is about standard length for a feature film!
Er, yes, I know, but most people aren't sufficiently ambitious to begin their career with a feature film :-).

Surf must be up - Mitch left a message for me early this morning, but is not answering his phone now.

Will keep you posted.

Caroline
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Er, yes, I know, but most people aren't sufficiently ambitious to begin their career with a feature film :-).
I am! I'll wait to hear from you - thanks for your help!!!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Hi Marty

Apologies for taking so long to reply. My son's email is down, and it's not easy to pin him down for a lengthy telephone conversation.

Apparently things are very different here in Oz, where (I think this is what he said) you need a letter of interest re funding before anyone will even look at a script.

He said to ensure that your work is properly scripted (using script editing software), and suggests submitting it to community TV stations, or, better still, getting a friend to film it for you. Also, not to expect any money.

He believes that it is very much the luck of the drawer, but that a definite requirement is to have screen credits, built up from having short films or small projects reach completion.

His final pearls of wisdom were, if you are following a dream than stick with it and don't get despondent. If you are expecting to make your fortune, then don't bother.

Best wishes - and please keep us posted re progress.

Caroline
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Hi Marty

Apologies for taking so long to reply. My son's email is down, and it's not easy to pin him down for a lengthy telephone conversation.

Apparently things are very different here in Oz, where (I think this is what he said) you need a letter of interest re funding before anyone will even look at a script.

He said to ensure that your work is properly scripted (using script editing software), and suggests submitting it to community TV stations, or, better still, getting a friend to film it for you. Also, not to expect any money.

He believes that it is very much the luck of the drawer, but that a definite requirement is to have screen credits, built up from having short films or small projects reach completion.

His final pearls of wisdom were, if you are following a dream than stick with it and don't get despondent. If you are expecting to make your fortune, then don't bother.

Best wishes - and please keep us posted re progress.

Caroline
Thanks, Caroline. I certainly will keep you posted.