Animal jobs, Farrier?? (Horse shoe person!)

CH Pupils:- Want some advice on a career you're interested in? Want some job contacts for work experience, qualifications required?
Old Blues:- Want to support pupils and other old blues with careers advice in your area of expertise?

Moderator: Moderators

Rachel Eee
2nd Former

Animal jobs, Farrier?? (Horse shoe person!)

Post by Rachel Eee »

Hi
I have only last year left the dear CH and went straight to uni, finding out that it isn't my cup of tea! I am now looking for a job with animals ideally, and have recently thought up being a farrier. Please if anyone can help me out, any ideas with animals, ideally outdoor? Or any info on farriery, trying to find out about it through the internet, but not being very successful, are any of you out there 1?
Thanks
:D
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Animal jobs, Farrier?? (Horse shoe person!)

Post by Mid A 15 »

Rachel Eee wrote:Hi
I have only last year left the dear CH and went straight to uni, finding out that it isn't my cup of tea! I am now looking for a job with animals ideally, and have recently thought up being a farrier. Please if anyone can help me out, any ideas with animals, ideally outdoor? Or any info on farriery, trying to find out about it through the internet, but not being very successful, are any of you out there 1?
Thanks
:D
Don't know if this link is any use

http://www.farrier-reg.gov.uk/

You could try areas like Lambourne, Newmarket, Cheltenham etc where there are plenty of horse racing trainers and breeders.

Good luck!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Why not look at Agricultural College courses? (or is it the studying that you don`t want??!!)

Seale Hayne in Newton Abbot (now part of Uni. of Plymouth, I believe) would perhaps be somewhere to start - as you`re in Devon.

Good luck!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

My daughter's friend did a degree in Hippology/Equine Science ( I think) at Aberystwyth Uni, and is currently working on a polo farm in Australia for a year...
I can ask her for details of study course, if you are interested.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Rachel Eee
2nd Former

Post by Rachel Eee »

Hey all
Thanks for all the replies, am more thinking along the lines of apprenticeships, which is why farriery appeals to me. Any other ideas for outdoor jobs with animals, or what farriery is like?
Thanks all!!
:rolleyes:
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I`d imagine it`s hard work!!

Dog-training???
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Rachel Eee wrote:Hi
Thanks
Ever thought of becoming an Army farrier? You get full pay all through your training and the qualifications are highly regarded in civlian life after you leave. Suggest you look at:

http://www.army.mod.uk/medical/royal_ar ... /index.htm