Sponsored Education

CH Pupils:- Want some advice on a career you're interested in? Want some job contacts for work experience, qualifications required?
Old Blues:- Want to support pupils and other old blues with careers advice in your area of expertise?

Moderator: Moderators

darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Sponsored Education

Post by darthmaul »

By April 2006, I will have had to have made a choice. I have been offered a place at the University of Durham to begin in October 2006 on a Geography course. This is somewhere I'd love to go for all sorts of reasons - the collegiate system, friends who are going there and the fact that it is 1/2 hr away from my home in Stockton-on-Tees.

However, I am also applying for a job with the Environment Agency to begin in September. This job is more than that however....

" For students who dream of putting their engineering enthusiasm to environmentally friendly ends, we’re offering the chance to join the Environment Agency’s two-year foundation degree programme. Designed specifically to strengthen our capabilities in Managing Flood Risk, the work you do combines university study with exciting, hands-on work in your local area to make a real difference to millions of people across England and Wales. And as well as gaining a well-regarded qualification, highly sought-after experience and even the chance to join our world-renowned Flood Risk Management team, you’ll personally pocket £11,000 per year. "

They work in conjunction with the Uni of West of England and it seems very good. It can lead to a Civil Engineering Degree after a further two years, either with them or presumably at another uni.

Friends, colleges, 'the uni experience' vs. no cost education, a good job

It's a bit of a dilemma...

What are peoples thoughts on any of this (or anything related)?
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

I have two sons, one at Uni, one finished 18 months ago.
It is very expensive, despite what the government are trying to tell everyone. My boys have built up student loans in excess of £9000, this is on fees of £1,100 per year and despite financial support from parents. Your environment agency job would in fact have payed you £33000 over the same period.
If this was all, the choice would be easy. Foundation degrees are relatively new and like all new educational qualifications, it is not what the government say the qualification is worth, it is what an employer thinks its value to be that is important (i.e NVQ's are not the universally accepted qualification that the government would like it to be).
An engineering degree from Durham will carry a high value with future employers for the rest of your life, this may not be true of the alternative.
The best advice is to make full use of any Careers advice you can get. If you are not happy with advice at school, you are still entitled to advice from the local careers office, either at Horsham or Stockton.
Good luck whichever choice you make.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Have you had a look at http://www.Ice.org.uk the web site for the Insitute of Civil Engineers?
They give a flow chart which shows the route to Chartered Engineer status. If that is what you are looking for the shortest route will be via an M.Eng or B.Eng at Durham (Durham allow B.Eng students who are on course for a 2:1 after the second year exams to move straight on to the M.Eng programme.).
The flow chart suggests that it would take some time to graduate from a foundation degree to Chartered status.

The actual page is http://www.ice.org.uk/education/studyin ... eering.asp
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

Thank you for that - I hadn't seen anything like that before.

If I choose to go to Durham this year, I will be reading Geography and would probably not consider Engineering again. A full degree could be worth more to employers.

The course with the Environment Agency is perhaps rather specific and limiting, but not if I get Chartered Engineer Status with them - which might take a further two years only.

It's a funny one this...
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)