New Licensing laws - good or bad?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

As a general principle I don't like too much government interference.

As sejintenej says you have always been able to get a drink if you know where to go.

I think pubs and clubs will decide on the clientelle they wish to attract and open and shut accordingly so I don't see things being very different.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

our student union still closes at 2, but the Graduate bar next door now opens 'til 4 :)
only trouble is its capacity is only about a tenth of the union bar, could get messy...i'l tell you 2moro if it did :wink:
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Does all this talk of Uni bars explain Emma-Jane's absence ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:Does all this talk of Uni bars explain Emma-Jane's absence ??
Perhaps she forgot to pay her electricity bill.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

only stayed out 'til 3 in the end, somehow ended up in a rubbish club watchin Peter Andre :? plan went a bit wrong!

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

ben ashton wrote:only stayed out 'til 3 in the end, somehow ended up in a rubbish club watchin Peter Andre :? plan went a bit wrong!
Your pos ttime was 9.24 am so well done you.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: New Licensing laws - good or bad?

Post by sejintenej »

Richard Ruck wrote:
sejintenej wrote: I have an annual breakfast invitation - start drinking in a pub at 7.00am and the last time I left at 5pm, sloshed. The hosts have been known to stagger out of a West End hostellery at 4am the next day.
A pint at breakfast time can seem like an awful idea until you try it.
Agreed; I did say it was annual, but the Beaujolais day is always an exception (you have to be pissed to enjoy it).

In fact, although wine is 108 eurocents a litre (that is about 53 pence a bottle) we have consumed 2 bottles so far this month between us plus I have had not more than 3 pints bitter in that time.
Mid A 15 wrote:I think pubs and clubs will decide on the clientelle they wish to attract and open and shut accordingly so I don't see things being very different.

I suspect that the clientele they will wish to attract will be anyone prepared to buy from them. We don't seem to see too many refusing to sell before the customer gets totally rata**ed.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My son (20) was out last night and had left the pub at 1050, and tonight he didn't go out until 9.30 and was home at 11.40.

'I had 6' he said
'6 pints in 2 hours?' says I

'6 units'

He has not always been so sensible, I just hope he remains like this.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The 'unit' system is just like the 'rule' system - made to be broken, as the 'Sussex Coaster' can testify last Friday night.

I cannot think of a better way to spend a freezing cold Saturday evening after a mile stroll along the coast road, than sitting in a pub on Peacehaven cliffs, overlooking the English Channel and getting extremely mellow.

(Still hardly remember getting in the taxi with 'She Who Must Be Obeyed', and a mate to return to his humble abode !)

There IS a photo in possession taken after we got back, which will remain strictly confidential.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Serious violent crime seems to have fallen by 21% as a result of the change in licensing laws, and the booze companies aren't really noticing an upturn in income.

No surprise, really.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

down by 11% in Leicester..

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Emma Jane
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Emma Jane »

Euterpe13 wrote: ...and I have certainly never seen a young girl passed out on the pavement outside a bar, as I did recently in Liverpool...
Oh dear, you've found out how I spend my weekends. What must a girl do for a wee bit of discretion nowadays?!

Seriously though, the binge drinking is a purely British affliction. I was raised in South America for quite a while, and there we had wine with meals from a very young age. There aren't any silly over 18 laws, which is where much of the problem lies, I fear. As soon as one is told they're not allowed to do something, what do we want to do?

I must say, I drink a lot more at Uni than I did before, but I'm sure that's just because I go out so much more here. I do NOT however go out simply to get hammered. I get so frustrated when I'm asked by 14 year olds if I can go and get them 4 litres of some disgusting alcopop, which, that amount would probably leave me hungover for weeks.

Relaxing the licensing laws can only be a good thing. It means that people don't go to the bar at last orders and order 3 drinks. My local was against the late licensing, as was I, but that's only because I work there and the thought of working until the wee hours doesn't fill me with great joy!
"He's NOT the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!"
BAB 96-01 GRE 02-03
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Emma Jane wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote: ...and I have certainly never seen a young girl passed out on the pavement outside a bar, as I did recently in Liverpool...
Oh dear, you've found out how I spend my weekends. What must a girl do for a wee bit of discretion nowadays?!

Seriously though, the binge drinking is a purely British affliction. I was raised in South America for quite a while, and there we had wine with meals from a very young age. There aren't any silly over 18 laws, which is where much of the problem lies, I fear. As soon as one is told they're not allowed to do something, what do we want to do?

I must say, I drink a lot more at Uni than I did before, but I'm sure that's just because I go out so much more here. I do NOT however go out simply to get hammered. I get so frustrated when I'm asked by 14 year olds if I can go and get them 4 litres of some disgusting alcopop, which, that amount would probably leave me hungover for weeks.

Relaxing the licensing laws can only be a good thing. It means that people don't go to the bar at last orders and order 3 drinks. My local was against the late licensing, as was I, but that's only because I work there and the thought of working until the wee hours doesn't fill me with great joy!
The longer licensed premises stay open, the longer the 'WEE' hours last !
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

J.R. wrote:The longer licensed premises stay open, the longer the 'WEE' hours last !
Is this a good thing?
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

darthmaul wrote:
J.R. wrote:The longer licensed premises stay open, the longer the 'WEE' hours last !
Is this a good thing?
Depends on the size of your bladder !