Lovely grey day

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Lovely grey day

Post by Katharine »

Just to say something completely different, we've had a lovely grey day today! We've been in low cloud/mist all day, people have been smiling at each other!

At the beginning of the month, Porthmadog was the hottest place in the country, but now we haven't got the same weather as most of England, and we're very grateful!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
rockfreak
Grecian

Re: Lovely grey day

Post by rockfreak »

I've got problems inside the house as well. When I reached 65 the state was insistent that I should be fully insulated so along came a bloke to insulate my loft (above the bedroom) for free. In came roll after roll of yellowy stuff and when he'd finished it was so deep that it was way above the joists and I was having to get around on crawl boards. "There you are," he said, "you'll be so warm you won't even need to light a candle up here in winter." Maybe, but now it's summer and I'm dying of heat at night and I hardly dare to stick my head into the loft in case a race of poisonous spiders have been breeding up there. Also, the yellow insulating stuff can hardly be tolerated without a face mask. I guess you'd end up suffering from something like asbestosis if you were up there for any length of time. So I'm thinking of getting a builder to come and cart some away and maybe reduce it by at least half. Environmental standards be damned.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Very warm and humid here in Leafy Surrey as well. Far too close for comfort.

Rotating fan on in the bedroom during the night to give some breeze.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

Here in Connecticut we are in the second week of 85-95 degree days, over 10 inches of rain and a minor tornado. Heading to Vancouver Island for a couple of weeks to cool off though probably not dry off.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:33 pm Very warm and humid here in Leafy Surrey as well. Far too close for comfort.

Then keep your curtains shut in the daytime and also windows unless you can get a nice gale through the house.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I think it is easy for those of us who have lived in hot countries to remember about closed curtains, but I get some very queer looks when I try to encourage others to do it.

We had a lovely colonial bungalow in Kuching, the wooden shingle roof came down well below the top of the walls, giving a shaded walkway round the house. It was a house built for the climate, mind you our North Walian stone walled house is not bad. The walls are about three feet thick, they keep the heat in in winter and out in summer!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:02 am
J.R. wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:33 pm Very warm and humid here in Leafy Surrey as well. Far too close for comfort.

Then keep your curtains shut in the daytime and also windows unless you can get a nice gale through the house.
Large patio doors and two large ceiling fans in the living room helps a lot.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Near bedtime and I've got all windows and doors thrown open and I'm still warm. Gravesend frequently gets hottest temperature in Summer. Still, never mind, I'm just an hour or two away from getting my 75th birthday greeting from JR which I've no doubt will be noted with enthusiasm by Avon.