Where have all the ladies gone?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Where have all the ladies gone?

Post by Ajarn Philip »

After a long and painful absence tending my dogs, my fruit farm and my bank balance, I return to find that the ladies seem to have disappeared! The forum seems to have become a Gentlemen's Club - you can almost smell the leather and cigars.

Back a week and nary a female post.

Have they all found meaningful life elsewhere? :shock:
Have they joined a feminist commune in Devon?
Been abducted by ethereal forces and now existing between dimensions? (Give us a sign!)
Been deprived of Internet rights by their starving families?

I need to know, but let me make it clear that I'll not part with a single penny without proof of life.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Where have all the ladies gone?

Post by Mid A 15 »

I believe they now have their own "by invitation only" Facebook Group.

Frances Grogan and Angela Woodford still make welcome visits from time to time.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Yes - I could take umbrage at Phil's comments, but I won't because it is so good to see him back on here! Feminist commune in Devon - mmmm that might be interesting! Meaningful life elsewhere - just tell me where and I shall make a beeline for it! In fact I think I shall plump for the existence between dimensions - I am very aware just now that my allotted span of 'threescore and ten' will expire in a few weeks, so I am looking towards starting all over again - never mind 'life begins at 40', in reality it begins at 70. I am consciously pampering myself, doing a wardrobe revamp, paying more attention to the skincare, wearing makeup for a change, reverting to contact lenses (discovered in the process that I have early stages of cataracts), equipping myself with hearing aids, and trying hard to be more active (in a gentle way, of course!). I shall still resist the urge to get involved with Facebook, but I definitely intend to get my technical knowledge more up-to-date. My 6-year-old grandson has just received a mobile phone for his birthday from his other grandmother, and I rather suspect that he will get the hang of it before I do - I still don't have one that works! Any other suggestions for rejuvenation will be gratefully received - although I think I shall forego the leather and cigars.

Does anyone else remember the song that has been buzzing around my head recently? - Sophie Tucker singing 'Life begins at 40, and I'm beginning all over again' - revamped later by Tessie O'Shea. That reminds me, another thing on the list is to lose a lot of weight - one stone down so far and struggling not to put it back on again!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:I believe they now have their own "by invitation only" Facebook Group.

Frances Grogan and Angela Woodford still make welcome visits from time to time.

I must have a word with the 'Sex-Discrimination' board !!

:twisted:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

[quote="Fjgrogan"]Yes - I could take umbrage at Phil's comments, but I won't because it is so good to see him back on here! Feminist commune in Devon - mmmm that might be interesting! Meaningful life elsewhere - just tell me where and I shall make a beeline for it! In fact I think I shall plump for the existence between dimensions - I am very aware just now that my allotted span of 'threescore and ten' will expire in a few weeks, so I am looking towards starting all over again - never mind 'life begins at 40', in reality it begins at 70.

I have started thinking ( and telling) my age on the french system. Thus I am now just sixtynineteen. It sounds much better. Also I will never reach seventy.
Col A 1946-1953
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

You'll just get to four twenties, not sure that is any better!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Just keep going. Britain and the world needs us Oldies !
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Fjgrogan wrote:You'll just get to four twenties, not sure that is any better!
I think I will describe myself as sixty twenty. Or I could just be in my twenties: I do not think I could get away with it.
Col A 1946-1953
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Just seen the film, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and am planning a visit to India.

Is that why DBTS went?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

I use hexadecimal with my age, so I am just 48. My mother had an alternate system: she was 30 and a bit, until the bit was larger, then became 40 and a bit. She was working on 50 and a bit when she died.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote:Just seen the film, and am planning a visit to India.

Is that why DBTS went?
Recently out is The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel which is a sequel. A bit difficult to follow in places but as good as the original
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Fjgrogan wrote: I am very aware just now that my allotted span of 'threescore and ten' will expire in a few weeks, so I am looking towards starting all over again - never mind 'life begins at 40', in reality it begins at 70. I am consciously pampering myself, doing a wardrobe revamp, paying more attention to the skincare, wearing makeup for a change, reverting to contact lenses (discovered in the process that I have early stages of cataracts), equipping myself with hearing aids, and trying hard to be more active (in a gentle way, of course!).
Any other suggestions for rejuvenation will be gratefully received - although I think I shall forego the leather and cigars.
!
but
As a self confessed dinosaur (ie older than you and having outlived my parents by 33%) I suggest you avoid microskirts (you won't be quick enough to hold them down in a gale) and belly displaying tee shirts. As for "the other" (no! not that) how about 20 minutes exercise every day, the U3A and something educational on the internet - there are a lot of major US University (like Harvard, MIT etc) lectures and courses free - I'm struggling with one!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

sejintenej wrote:

Is that why DBTS went?
Recently out is The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel which is a sequel. A bit difficult to follow in places but as good as the original
It was the sequel that we saw, not having seen the first.

Seems to have to to Valencia very quickly, but then, the cinema that I go to is original language. Maybe they are still trying to translate it.

We saw Pride there a few weeks ago, which was also very good.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:
sejintenej wrote:

Is that why DBTS went?
It was the sequel that we saw, not having seen the first.

Seems to have to to Valencia very quickly, but then, the cinema that I go to is original language. Maybe they are still trying to translate it.

We saw Pride there a few weeks ago, which was also very good.

Gay Pride, John ????

:oops:
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I've noticed the absence of the ladies too. It's very sad. I'm a great fan of the American professor of gender studies and best-selling author Camille Paglia who is a feisty, bisexual, Italian-American with a very big mouth who believes that women should be getting down and dirty in the arena with men and going toe to toe (or mouth to mouth) with them. You won't agree with everything she says (I don't) but she's never less than thought provoking and challenging. I haven't read much of her stuff lately but her nineties book "Vamps and Tramps" is a favourite of mine. Politically correct she is not and her theme is constantly that human nature remains the same down the ages (evidenced by the ancient Greek myths) and that modern day feminism, by retreating into totalitarian, utopian, man-accusing comfort zones, is leaving today's young women ill-prepared for the hurly-burly of life. We need to educate society, she says, rather than taking to the barricades.
By the way, UK Uncut has recently spawned Sisters Uncut who protest against things like the closure of women's refuges under Osborne's cuts (actually I mean our cuts - young Gideon doesn't have to pay them). They recently annoyed a lot of people by blocking the street in Kensington where the Daily Mail is situated and burning copies of that odious rag in the road. The rest of us offered our support since they'd been verbally abused and had one threat of violence but they said, no, don't worry, we'll sail our ship alone. Respect, ladies. But in the end the real fight is the 99% against the 1%.