I AM STILL AROUND.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

I AM STILL AROUND.

Post by J.R. »

I've actually managed to get on here today, (Saturday). 'Er Indoors, (Jan), and I are suffering major refurb and decorating to our Housing Association house living/dining room.

The decorator is absolutely fantastic, but to make his life a lot easier, we are only accessing full computer at weekends. This should cease in two weeks, so please bare with me.

It was nice to see some new members contributing on her with some very interesting posts.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Re: I AM STILL AROUND.

Post by LongGone »

J.R. wrote:This should cease in two weeks, so please bare with me.
s.
JR, thanks for the offer, but I think I will keep my clothes on.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

spoilsport.

I wondered who'd spot that !
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

J.R. wrote:It was nice to see some new members contributing on her with some very interesting posts.
Would that be Jan, or do you have a female decorator?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Katharine wrote:
J.R. wrote:It was nice to see some new members contributing on her with some very interesting posts.
Would that be Jan, or do you have a female decorator?

A fully qualified male Housing Association decorator. A former Welsh Guardsman and Falklands vet. (Yes - I HAVE seen the photos.)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Again, my apologies for at least four days abscence from this site.

The redec/refurb is taking far longer than expected.

I hope things will be back to normal by next Wednesday,Thursday !!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

AT LAST !

All finished, BUT................ Now I've got to wait for 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' to decide where all the pictures and shelves are going to be located.

However, I should be able to get on her more often, (he said very hopefully !!)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Nearly there !!

Total re-dec now complete and all the new furniture arrived at 08:40 hours this morning.

Just a matter of deciding what to do next re curtains etc. (Not my department, thank goodness !)
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

JR - we have managed to live almost without curtains for several years. With the lump sum which my husband received on his retirement we had the whole house double glazed, doors and windows, and siezed the opportunity to have the window panes as large as possible to let in the maximum amount of light. Sadly it didn't occur to us until too late that this meant our windows were no longer a standard size and it was therefore difficult to find curtains to fit unless we had them made to measure. Also we have a semi-circular bay at the front, upstairs and down, which was unsuitable for the intended eyelet type of curtain rails and we really didn't want to have to drill into the new PVC frames. So we procrastinated. Then we delayed further because we could not decide on what colours we wanted for decorating, so eventually we settled for boring neutrals which have now been sitting in their original wrappings for several months. Don't make the same mistake. While you are on a roll, keep going until the job is properly finished!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

We've recently had large triple glazed patio doors fitted, and hey presto, the curtains that Jan ordered, (without my knowledge), have just arrived with a roller blind for the small lounge end window.

Just a matter now of getting them put up. As we have been living a life of hell for the past month and got used to it, I ain't going to rush !!

I got around to re-wiring the stereo surround sound speakers yesterday evening, so we sat and watchd "12 Years a Slave". courtesy of youngest daughter. It took me some time to get into it, but I became enthralled. Not normally my sort of film, but I can thoroughly recommend it.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

'diffderent' windows.

Post by sejintenej »

Frances: FWIW we had the same problem here - very very high ceilings and french door/fanlight combinations.

Wandering round the fashion shops for a while we came across display curtains which suited and "bought them" at rock bottom prices for delivery when the shop changed from winter to summer displays a month later.
The lining is the same material as the facing side but we did need to cut a bit off the bottoms so now we have matching cushion covers. I think they came from Laura Ashley but if not it was a shop of that ilk