Football World Cup

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Football World Cup

Post by michael scuffil »

I watched the final of the World Cup (or most of it) last night. Best game of footie I've seen for about 20 years at least. Certainly better than any game in the men's version last year. In fact the whole series eclipsed the men's version by miles.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Football World Cup

Post by J.R. »

I also have been following it with interest, especially with my connections to the Dorking Ladies side.

Unfortunately, there is still an element in the mens football world against girls/women playing the hallowed game. I must admit though, Dorking FC 1st team have a very good relationship with our Ladies.

Yesterday morning, the girls had their first full training session of the season at our ground and in the afternoon, helped our Club Bar Manager decorate the walls of the club house.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

michael scuffil wrote:I watched the final of the World Cup (or most of it) last night. Best game of footie I've seen for about 20 years at least. Certainly better than any game in the men's version last year. In fact the whole series eclipsed the men's version by miles.
Agreed it was most enjoyable.

The women are technically decent players with a welcome lack of the histrionics which so often blight the male game.

If Wayne Rooney had scored from a corner in the fashion of that Japanese girl the commentators would still be having orgasms now!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Most strikingly, they played as a team and not as a bunch of prima donnas thinking "I'm famous anyway, why bother (unless it makes me look good)?"
Th.B. 27 1955-63
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

In another Post, I praised the England Ladies Rugby team, who for the same resons could teach the men a lot.

In particular, the Right Wing !!! --- Terrifying !