Strikes !

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Strikes !

Post by englishangel »

Any nurse knows that if someone with a dicky heart asks for a bedpan you take the crash trolley as well.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Without going into sordid detail -----

I am required to have a scan, of my bladder.

I am informed that I must drink at keast TWO PINTS of water, beforehand. -----------

At my age (83) the question arises "How long before the scan ?" -------- :oops:

(TBA is an expert in Intensive care --- but has little experience of bedpans, since she qualified !! ) :lol:
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Without going into sordid detail -----

I am required to have a scan, of my bladder.

I am informed that I must drink at keast TWO PINTS of water, beforehand. -----------

At my age (83) the question arises "How long before the scan ?" -------- :oops:

(TBA is an expert in Intensive care --- but has little experience of bedpans, since she qualified !! ) :lol:
I have had these scans twice in the last couple of years related to the Prostate. Both then required a biopsy which came up clear.
I am sure that at your age you have a pretty good idea how long you can last. In my case it relates to the time to drive back from the village to Valencia. I calculated that time and took off about 30 minutes as they are bound to run late. Given the number of pregnant women also getting a scan at the same time, I assume it is something similar, i.e, external. and the problem comes when they put pressure in the related area. It requires a lot of control and making sure that the route to the loo is known and well clear when the process finishes.

Good Luck.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

englishangel wrote:Both my in-laws dies on the loo in their mid 50s
I'd only been on a medical ward as a student nurse for three days. My fellow student, Stella, and I had proudly attended to the pressure areas of a lovely patient, then positioned him on a commode. We drew the curtains around, gave him his buzzer, and ran to give the sluice a quick tidy in the meantime. After a little while, we peered round the edge of the curtains and saw him topple from the commode - oh, it was horrible.

He had died and could not be resuscitated. Stella and I, sick with guilt, sobbed in the ward kitchen. One of our tutors had to be summoned to make us tea and console us. "You couldn't have done any more!" etc.

I've got a lump in my throat just thinking about it again. My first death!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

There you go! and I have not 'nursed' since 1978
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:Any nurse knows that if someone with a dicky heart asks for a bedpan you take the crash trolley as well.
It is also an exceptionally good treatment for shock. I had to have treatment for a particularly nasty cut to the bone on a finger and afterwards was sent out of the immediate treatment area. I then started to feel sweaty, shaky, hot and cold, faint, dizzy ............ the whole shebang. There were no staff around, no chairs and the floor was too filthy to sit on so I went in the loo, sat down and strained hard. There was nothing to come out but the shock symptoms left me instantly as my blood pressure rose.
Unfortunately someone else wanted the loo so I was removed from the premises by security.
The cut was still oozing 9 days later when the steristrips were removed but I expected that and the nurse simply ignored the news when I warned him. The hospital? well, the principal hospital in the trust is frequently in the national press fro the wrong reasons.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

My scan is not for prostate -- yet -- but for passing blood.

This is believed to have been caused by my 2, 1/2 year old Grandson, leaping into my lap, with great enthusiasm, and landing, with incredible accuracy !

:oops: :oops: :oops:

No blood since -- so probably ok (I shall wear a "Box", in future !)