The Cost of War

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: The Cost of War

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I would agree --- except for a couple of provisos ---
Germany/Turkey WW1 ---- Yes, Ferdinand was the excuse, but the Europeans were carving up Africa, and Turkey had eyes on the Balkans.
also we had an "Empire" (Economic ? ) to defend.
WW2 -- we were tied into a France/Poland Treaty of mutual defence

Regrettably (?) Soldiers just toddle off to be shot at ----- I don't remember ever having any input to the decision !! :lol:
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

jhopgood wrote:I have always been under the impression that the underlying cause of most wars is to gain economic advantage. Securing supply of a necessary commodity, oil, would fall into that category.
If the desire to protect populations from harm was the criteria, then surely places like Zimbabwe would have received belligerent help a long time ago, but then Zimbabwe is of little economic consequence to the major western powers.
I may be cynical but no-one spends billions of euros helping someone else for purely altruistic purposes. There must be an underlying reason, and the most obvious one is to ensure the oil supply.
I do take your point about Zimbabwe. I think Rwanda was the classic example of the world standing by and doing nothing. The Balkans, of course - next to nothing. My point about oil is simply that the supply from Libya didn't need securing, though it was undoubtedly the only thing that enabled the wolf to get into sheep's clothing.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

sejintenej wrote: The US invasion of Panama; economic advantage? I think not; they simply wanted to stop drug running and get Noriega.
As one who was stuck in Panama when the US invaded and got some pretty interesting video from the first minutes until I got out on a German military flight, getting Noriega was the manifest reason for the invasion. However, many believe that it was a combination of the Monroe Doctrine (viz Grenada and others), the thought that "uncontrolled" Panamanians (Noriega) could not run the Panama Canal as the US would like, and trouble in the US backyard (Central America), that persuaded Bush to send in the Marines.
(I had a grandstand view of the encirclement of the Papal Nunciatura, starting from about 20 minutes after Noriega went in. Apparently if I had got it to CNN quickly, I could have sold it for about US$50,000, but we couldn't get out of the hotel!)
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)