Strictly......

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Strictly......

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Well ---- so Anne W. has, again, survived, due to the "Public Vote" !

We now appear to be in the "John Segeant" situation, where even he, realised that things were getting ridiculous, and resigned.

Anne W. has been entertaining, and has acted as a foil to some of the more prissy contestants --- but the brutal fact remains, that she cannot dance to the standard required of the Competition. Anton du Beck (Is that his REAL name ???) has descended to choreographing an "Amusing Interlude", which was, as I say, entertaining, to begin with. (With which to begin -- Eng Ang ?) but in my opinion, is now, literally',-- beyond a joke !

I am prepared to put up with Bruce Forsythe's feeble jokes, and his constant repitition of his creaking "Catch Phrases" because I enjoy watching good Choreography and Dancers who are exhibiting well executed tecnique.

Sometimes the dreaded Craig is right !!!

What say you ?
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Well ---- so Anne W. has, again, survived, due to the "Public Vote" !

We now appear to be in the "John Segeant" situation, where even he, realised that things were getting ridiculous, and resigned.

Anne W. has been entertaining, and has acted as a foil to some of the more prissy contestants --- but the brutal fact remains, that she cannot dance to the standard required of the Competition. Anton du Beck (Is that his REAL name ???) has descended to choreographing an "Amusing Interlude", which was, as I say, entertaining, to begin with. (With which to begin -- Eng Ang ?) but in my opinion, is now, literally',-- beyond a joke !

I am prepared to put up with Bruce Forsythe's feeble jokes, and his constant repitition of his creaking "Catch Phrases" because I enjoy watching good Choreography and Dancers who are exhibiting well executed tecnique.

What say you ?
I'd say that, for someone who is (rightly) fussy about his two "ll"s, it would be nice if you could get other people's names right too :lol:. Out of all the people you mentioned, I think you got Craig correct.

Anton du Beke's real name is Tony Beak - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_du_beke
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I still remember the teen-agers definition to 'Come Dancing' !!

Hmmmm !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Jo wrote:Anton du Beke's real name is Tony Beak - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_du_beke
Oh Jo! What bliss! Tony Beak! I love it. Didn't the little Peggy Hooker become Margot Fonteyn? I must attempt this -

Your friend

Angélique du Bois Gué
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

If the aforementioned people, whose names I have mis-spelled, were personal friends of mine --- I should be more careful about the way to spell their names.

Since they are not, I fear I shall lose no sleep over my misdemeanor ! My view of the present situation remains the same --- and so does my question

"What say you ?" ----- not about my spelling --- but the Competition.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Well ---- so Anne W. has, again, survived, due to the "Public Vote" !

What say you ?
Whilst 'Strictly' is more my wife's cup of tea than mine, I find the whole Ann Widdecombe thing really quite entertaining. It doesn't matter to me that she can't dance; quite frankly if I wanted to watch professional dancing I'd watch professional dancers! This is entertainment of a different sort and surely it's meant to be 'amateur.' Let the 'joke' continue (although I'd rather be watching Doctor Who).
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

J.R. wrote:I still remember the teen-agers definition to 'Come Dancing' !!
Dancing - a naval encounter without loss of seamen.
Col A 1946-1953
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:If the aforementioned people, whose names I have mis-spelled, were personal friends of mine --- I should be more careful about the way to spell their names.Since they are not, I fear I shall lose no sleep over my misdemeanor !
That's a strange opinion. I fear that if we all misspelled the names of those who are not our personal friends... Imagine! It would be careless, inconsiderate, unprofessional and confusing.

But you're just trolling, Neel, are you not? :?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

To be fair, possibly so the cyclist could use it in evidence?
I'd love to have thought so but she hadn't got out of the car and just had the phone sticking out of the window, but what nice people you all are! :D
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And to come back to Ann Widdecombe. Did anyone see 'Have I Got News For You?'. The picture was the last item on the show, featured as 'the latest peanut catcher'. Thank you, BBC.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

kerrensimmonds wrote:And to come back to Ann Widdecombe. Did anyone see 'Have I Got News For You?'. The picture was the last item on the show, featured as 'the latest peanut catcher'. Thank you, BBC.

PRICELESS. I guessed it was going to be that photo before it even came up on the screen !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I have enjoyed Strictly for a number of years (I can't watch that bad kareoke show on the other side) but it must be time for Anne to go... the standard of dancing this year is fantastic and it saddens me to see her stomping round the floor with poor old Anton (when will they give him someone who can dance?) being forced to become some sort of circus act...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Great Plum wrote:I have enjoyed Strictly for a number of years (I can't watch that bad kareoke show on the other side) but it must be time for Anne to go... the standard of dancing this year is fantastic and it saddens me to see her stomping round the floor with poor old Anton (when will they give him someone who can dance?) being forced to become some sort of circus act...
Forced nothing!! She's being extremely well paid for it and she's the sort of character who wouldn't agree to do anything she didn't want to. Likewise, poor old Anton has become much more famous being the charming but long-suffering partner of ladies of a certain age than he would have done just dancing well with younger women. I'm sure the size of his fee helps him overcome his disappointment at never winning. :mrgreen:

Like a lot of TV over the years, Strictly has become a parody of itself. It's not about dancing, otherwise they'd just put Come Dancing back on again. It's about entertainment. Allegedly :roll:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I watched it again tonight ------- "Brucie's" bad jokes are almost as bad as the Widdicombe dancing -------

But at least he demonstrated that he CAN still dance !
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

I have just watched Strictly Come Dancing - oh the guilt!

The guilt, because as a small girl I was forbidden to press my nose against the windows of the glitzy Streatham Locarno. Satan and his cohorts lingered with puffs of sulphur over the plushy red carpets of the foyer. The Evil One breathed seduction beneath the evil glitter of the ballroom lighting, which I could just see glimmering with a tempting allure. The Lord Jesus would weep - that I might be tempted to gaze into such a den of iniquity!

Such conditioning has never entirely gone away. Oh dear.

But I was rather curious to see Ann Widdecombe dance, whom I once encountered electioneering in our Kent Village High Street. Joining a small group around that fierce woman, her sidekicks and a selection of blue Conservative balloons, I felt inspired to challenge her about the sale of local council housing. "Surely" I spoke up "that housing is for those who can't possibly buy a house of their own, etc. etc." Miss Widdecombe spun towards me with a great bellow of derisive laughter. "This gel thinks we shouldn't let people buy their own home! Well! that's what Mr X (her rival) says! Haw! Haw! Haw! Is this because he's better looking than I am? Is it? Is it?" There was much syncophantic laughter. The sidekicks presented my three little children with blue balloons and, shamefacedly, we slunk home.

But to see her tonight! The dressers and stylists had transformed Miss Widdecombe. I thought that upswept platignum chignon looked terrific and I was greatly impressed by her new glamour. Admittedly, being dragged around the floor in circles by an arm and a leg wasn't exactly lovely dancing, but entertainment it certainly is, and I admire her for training and performing in such a challenging milieu. What determination, sporting spirit and stamina!

And the Lord will always forgive! :wink: