Baby Food

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: Baby Food

Post by jhopgood »

Fjgrogan wrote:John - when did you last change a nappy? !
In the time before there were paper nappies. We seemed to have hundreds of these linen nappies, not the towelling ones, and getting them dry in the rainy season was a work of art with the iron. Only for the so-and-so to immediately use them. We put them on 3 at a time to absorb everything and still keep him comfortable, so there was always plenty of work, especially as we had no washing machine and the "maid" only came for a few hours twice a week.

Green was only one of the colours they produced.

I´m still debating whether I am happy to be reminded of this memory.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Chicken shouldn't need "mushing" for a nearly one year old. My son loved veggie things made with chick peas and lentils etc, still does (age 25)hummus anyone? If Mama eats spicy food you can add spices to it as he will already have the taste, no salt though.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Fjgrogan wrote:re grand-daughter Millie has just had her first birthday, but still has only two teeth; however she will tackle anything that she can hold in her fist. If she can't actually chew it she will suck out all the goodness before spitting out the rest. Favourites include Babybel cheese cut into sticks, cucumber, tomato, pepper, whatever veg we are eating (although raw carrot is too tough, it is fine when lightly cooked). Fruit is a great favourite - most berries, banana, watermelon. Bread or toast cut into fist-size pieces, spread with cheese spread, paste or especially Marmite. When she was only a few weeks old I tried her with a taste of Marmite on my finger, thinking that she would pull a face and spit it out;.................
Not recommended but
just after she learned to crawl my grand-daughter found a lemon in the veg basket. Of course it went in the mouth and after that she wanted lemons, lemons and more lemons - raw of course. She has now grown out of it but they don't seem to have done her or her teeth any harm.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

englishangel wrote:Chicken shouldn't need "mushing" for a nearly one year old.
How very brisk & prescriptive, Mary - were you ever a Healthcare Professional? :lol: I should of course have inserted "if necessary"; mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa... :oops:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

When our girls were young, they had liquidised food from our menu as soon as possible.

The one thing you must watch though, is the salt content.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

anniexf wrote:
englishangel wrote:Chicken shouldn't need "mushing" for a nearly one year old.
How very brisk & prescriptive, Mary - were you ever a Healthcare Professional? :lol: I should of course have inserted "if necessary"; mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa... :oops:

:biggun: :gun:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Off topic, I know, but ....... back to the subject of nappies. When Maria was a baby (she is now approaching 42) we could never scrape up enough cash at one time to buy a stock of terry nappies, so we used disposibles, which I disliked and which ultimately cost more. When Kirri was born four and a half years later we used 'real' nappies often with disposible liners. I actually quite enjoyed the whole process of soaking them in a bucket of Napisan, then into the washing machine and out on the line - a very satisfying sight. I still have some of them in use as cleaning cloths, and for many years the Napisan jars were recycled as kitchen storage jars; they had a blue clip-on lid which exactly matched the colour of our kitchen wall. In fact there are still at least three of them in use now, dating from before the term 'recycling' was ever heard of!! Nowadays I think the most useful gift one can give a new baby is a stock of muslin squares which seem to get used for absolutely everything.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Have progressed to small cubes of potato which have been cooked in water with some chicken to make a broth. Won't eat the chicken tho'. Some similarly prepared carrot lasted in the mouth for a few minutes but was not swallowed.

There's a quote about taking small steps to make progress somewhere in my memory....
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Fjgrogan wrote:Off topic, I know, but ....... back to the subject of nappies. When Maria was a baby (she is now approaching 42) we could never scrape up enough cash at one time to buy a stock of terry nappies, so we used disposibles, which I disliked and which ultimately cost more.
Yet about two years later the manufacturers and health centres were handing out "samples" of everything by the lorryload; we used those terrycloth nappies and I don't think we ever bought a single one. I do remember that one occasion between getting samples when we actually had to go out and get some of that stinking stuff you sterilised nappies in. What a let-down.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I thought that TBA and I had, now, divested ourselves of things like Baby Food and Nappies, since Josh, the latest Grandson is approaching 2.

HOWEVER ---- Grandson Kerry at 22, arrived last night with his Inamorata, to inform us that she is Pregnant -----------
In many ways, we are delighted, as she seems to be a level = headed girl, approaching 20 BUT -- when I think of the forthcoming problems ----

AH WELL ===== that's Life -- in the literal sense !!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

NEILL, huh?

A "level-headed girl approaching 20"? How patronising can you be? Will you be a bearable in-law, more like!

"Forthcoming problems" indeed. I wish her all the abilities of diplomacy possible.

Baby food. Just mashed up whatever we were having - salt and all! They all loved a little sandwich in tiny squares, plus small pieces of fruit.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""