Baby Food

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Baby Food

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

My 11 month old son quickly becomes bored with the different types of mush that we offer him and does not like the shop bought gloop. Does anyone have any recipe suggestions?
anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Baby Food

Post by anniexf »

Tim, presumably your son has several teeth by now, so why not try him with pieces of fresh fruit? Banana, melon, apple etc., cut to fist-size, might interest him. I don't have any recipes as such, but other suggestions, from experience : soft-boiled egg with soldiers to dip in, cooked & boned fish, mashed potato ( you could add a little grated cheese for added enticement!), pieces of tomato, cucumber etc. I imagine he enjoys eating with his fingers as well as wielding his own spoon, so anything that encourages his growing feelings of independence might keep his attention!
I hope this helps, & I'm sure other mums, dads, grans & grandads here will have more suggestions. Come on folks! :)
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I have no personal experience of very young babies, but greatgrand nephew eats anything red, so diced tomato and sweet red pepper went down well, and he enjoyed finely chopped cold meat. admittedly he has now reached 13 months, but had a rough start, as he was 2 weeks premature and had great difficulty feeding for the first 2-3 weeks, as all he wanted to do was sleep. He now appears to be flourishing.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Home made smoothies ?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

He should be almost ready to eat the same as you, but chopped more finely. As everyone else says, finger food is best at this age.

This looks like a good site.

http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Bread - crusts are good for teething and bread is easy to hold and stuff into the mouth. We found that baguettes and similar were the best; there is a view that very young chidren shouldn't be given bread but it doesn't seem to do French kids any harm! Whilst chunks or slices without anything on seem to go down fine, if you do put a spread on children shouldn't be given honey below about 12 months.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

loringa wrote:Bread - crusts are good for teething and bread is easy to hold and stuff into the mouth. We found that baguettes and similar were the best; there is a view that very young chidren shouldn't be given bread but it doesn't seem to do French kids any harm! Whilst chunks or slices without anything on seem to go down fine, if you do put a spread on children shouldn't be given honey below about 12 months.
A (UK qualified) doctor neighbour has reservations about baguettes (and flutes which are a thicker version) because the very crispy crusts can cause gum problems. I would have thought UK style bread might get over that, or soak it in milk first
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Now that my daughter Kirri has returned to work part-time, I am entrusted with grand-daughter Millie when her mother is working a full day shift. Millie has just had her first birthday, but still has only two teeth; however she will tackle anything that she can hold in her fist. If she can't actually chew it she will suck out all the goodness before spitting out the rest. Favourites include Babybel cheese cut into sticks, cucumber, tomato, pepper, whatever veg we are eating (although raw carrot is too tough, it is fine when lightly cooked). Fruit is a great favourite - most berries, banana, watermelon. Bread or toast cut into fist-size pieces, spread with cheese spread, paste or especially Marmite. When she was only a few weeks old I tried her with a taste of Marmite on my finger, thinking that she would pull a face and spit it out; she wolfed it down and demanded more, so to her mother's horror (all that salt!) I let her suck on a Twiglet - another Marmite addict was born! Millie is just progressing from baby cereals to Weetabix, now that she is allowed 'real' milk and will steal the occasional fistful of Cheerios from Grandma (not favoured by Mummy because they are sweetened); I have been firmly warned off allowing her to develop a taste for chocolate cereals, so I had to finish off the Coco Pops in the cupboard myself to protect Millie! (Chocolate Weetabix has just appeared in the supermarket and is less sweetened than many others, but I am not allowed to tempt Millie with it!) I shall just be heartily glad when she no longer has all those little jars of food which all seem to taste the same and are heavily laced with tomato and or sweet potato and leave nasty stains on bibs! There are also a whole range of 'finger food' treats by Organix - carrot sticks, gingerbread men etc. Anyway we mmust be doing something right, because Millie is clearly happy and healthy and sociable, and just walking; she has been cruising round the furniture for months, but was apparently waiting for a wider audience to perform solo - two days before her birthday she had a joint party with a friend, and in front of a huge crowd of grandparents, mainly not her own, decided to walk straight across the patio, regardless of the uneven surface, and refused to sit down for most of the afternoon. This child is quite definitely a Grogan - any of you who know Maria and Kirri will know exactly what I mean, definitely an extrovert, unlike Grandma.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

My Costa Rican wife says that she gave our children everything but done in the liquidizer. Apparently our youngest loved spinach and potatoes.
My son started giving his son carrots as soon as he could gnaw, my to my wife´s dismay.
Personally I reckon you should have all the tropical fruits to keep him happy and dirty. Papaya, mangoes, bananas, sandia, melon etc.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

John - when did you last change a nappy? Yes, fruit is great, but in moderation if you don't want to be faced with nasty pongy greenish excrement!! We had to cut back on Millie's fruit for a few days - not really sure whether it was the fruit causing it or whether she is finally getting more teeth, but omitting fruit seemed to do the trick. (By the way, can anyone explain why teething should affect the contents of a baby's nappy?) However, in principle I do agree that fruit is great, but the tropical varieties are probably better eaten in the bath or the garden, so that the child can be easily hosed down afterwards!!

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

A PS. Dried fruits (raisins, cranberries etc) and sweetcorn tend to arrive in the nappy undigested. Why does that not also happen with peas?

Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Thanks for all the feedback. Some suggested items not available here in Manaus. He does get chunks of apple and banana and other messy foods. The main problem is that he doesn't seem to like savoury/meaty based foods. His mother is a bit feeble in that when he complains she just gives him her milk, whereas I would like him to go hungry for a little longer to give him more incentive!
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

sejintenej wrote:
loringa wrote:Bread - crusts are good for teething and bread is easy to hold and stuff into the mouth. We found that baguettes and similar were the best; there is a view that very young chidren shouldn't be given bread but it doesn't seem to do French kids any harm! Whilst chunks or slices without anything on seem to go down fine, if you do put a spread on children shouldn't be given honey below about 12 months.
A (UK qualified) doctor neighbour has reservations about baguettes (and flutes which are a thicker version) because the very crispy crusts can cause gum problems. I would have thought UK style bread might get over that, or soak it in milk first

My grandchildren had those little Italian breadsticks - grissini - to bite on & suck when they were Tim's son's age; not as scratchy as real bread crusts, nice & light too, easy to digest. You can buy them here in little boxes in supermarkets but I'm not sure if they'd be available in Brazil. Can't think why not though.
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

anniexf wrote: My grandchildren had those little Italian breadsticks - grissini - to bite on & suck when they were Tim's son's age; not as scratchy as real bread crusts, nice & light too, easy to digest. You can buy them here in little boxes in supermarkets but I'm not sure if they'd be available in Brazil. Can't think why not though.
I expect you can find such things in "civilised" cities in the South, but Manaus is still in the Stone Age.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Tim, how about chicken? It's quite bland, & can be pulverised in a blender after cooking. It might appeal, especially if served with a few peas or baked beans.