Posts concerning Reading Matter - 11 March

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoe057
2nd Former

Posts concerning Reading Matter - 11 March

Post by Zoe057 »

Hi there
Stumbled upon some feedback on my first book, 'I didn't say I was Perfect...'. How refreshing to receive the first 'thumbs down' review, even though the comment about it being 'strangely compulsive' proved to me that I should still keep trying to improve upon my writing style - up until now there's only been reports of an enjoyable light read so I will bear that in mind as I plough through with the second, a follow-up, which is far more fictional and hopefully will be of tighter construction, and better written than the first. I certainly won't be giving up my day job .......it took 8 years to write the first and I must stress it was never intended to be a work of great importance - just a means of publishing some memories for family and friends to enjoy (including friends that I had long lost touch with but never forgotten) - a bit of light-hearted entertainment and whilst I know it will never make the Booker Prize, I enjoyed the experience of writing it, which I believe is what it's all about. I make absolutely no apologies for the content - I think most Authors will write from their own experiences at some point. I had nobody to proof it apart from my dear mother, and I was rushing to get it finished in time for my Mum's 60th, and so that Dad could read it before he became unable to, due to mild Alzheimers. Without writing classes, an editor, and creating it on top of a demanding full time job, the satisfaction of finishing something for the first time ever was sublime. But don't worry - I won't be in a rush to unleash the second on the general public! Genuine thanks for the reality check. Zoe Higginson
Zoë Higginson (Brickel), House One 1983-1985, Col A 1985-1990
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.... - Nietzsche
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Posts concerning Reading Matter - 11 March

Post by Mid A 15 »

Well done on having the courage and ability to write a book.

You should home in on the 'compulsive reading' comment rather than minor criticisms of spelling, grammar etc particularly as you have clearly explained your reasons for publishing urgently.

Publish and be damned!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Zoe057
2nd Former

Post by Zoe057 »

Hi there, many thanks for the encouragement (just firing the laptop up again whilst sitting in the garden, can't stand to be indoorsm......!) You are absolutely right - if compelled to write, it's absolutely necessary to be able to take any negative criticism on the chin and learn from it whilst extracting any positive glimmer of hope and developing that. Yesterday I allowed myself 5 minutes of self-doubt as to whether I had been totally deluded and was completely wasting my time (and that everyone who had commented to date had been trying not to hurt my feelings!) How the love of writing is a double-edged sword. It is still very fortunate that I love my paid employment as I don't think I will retiring on the proceeds of that particular project for some time yet......
The only other consideration is, will I need to wear my stab-proof vest at the 20 years on reunion......? (prior warning required so that I can pack my suitcase accordingly) x
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Well done Zoe!

I should love to read your book. You mention a stab-proof vest - are there references to the post-DR Hertford? I always imagine this to be partly a new freedom and partly a pre-move stasis.

Tell!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Zoe, I haven't read your book but, as an occasional writer myself and having suffered the dreaded rejection slips, I can say with confidence that it's well worth ploughing on. There will always be snipers, but as you say the point is to take the positives and work on them. Any negatives can either be dismissed as malice or used to advantage. There will always, too, be people whose encouragement is worth a million snide remarks. Write on!!!
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Well my facebook spies suggested that maybe some libellous content was included :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good on you for getting your book out there - are you still in Oxfordshire?
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
Zoe057
2nd Former

Post by Zoe057 »

Hello 'Baloo'
OK, so I'm rumbled on that one! That's where fiction kicks in though, because whilst you suffered terribly with the heat of the costume under the theatre lights, spending the entire run with your T-shirt absolutely drenched, I can confirm that you smelt absolutely fine! (I'm not sure I would have done in the same circs)
Thanks to the others who replied this week, I will get around to replying but just off to work.
C - Will confirm location on private Email as this appears in Google searches, if that's OK. Hope everyone enjoys the sunshine! :D 8)
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

You know that is the bit (the smell) that others sent me notes about - thought I might be offended, so tahnks for clearing that up.

Email addy on the profile button - you going to the 20 year reunion?
Craig Steger-Lewis
1982-1989
Zoe057
2nd Former

Post by Zoe057 »

Yes, am going and looking forward to seeing the others who have confirmed their attendance. Hopefully there will be more? It's been too long.
Clare and I already have our midnight feast planned.....! :wine:

Might put your mind at rest (re: Baloo getting a bit hot and bothered), if you have access to a copy or can get a 'spy' to look for you, there is a little disclaimer on p.2 of the book to explain further the spirit in which it was written.....don't forget it's meant to be a fairy story. I am sorry for any hurt feelings though - I would never want to upset someone who looked after me through many a teenage trauma! PS I can't listen to the Smiths or Depeche Mode now, far too mournful! :cry:
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Hi Zoe

Congrats on getting the book out. I don't think the comments was hugely critical, 'compelling read' far outweighs the other comments.

Can't believe it's been 21 years since Craig and I left, hope all has been well with you since then.

Adam
Barnes B / Mid A
Zoe057
2nd Former

Post by Zoe057 »

Hi Adam

Lovely to hear from you. I have never been better. And you?

Thanks for the comment about the book. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, and believe me when I look back on it there are things I would change now, but it's all about developing a style and just getting on and doing it. The next one will hopefully appeal to a wider audience as it will have a better plot (still working out the last few twists) and be lighter and funnier. It's funny how you can be a really thick skinned person at work but when a project is personal you have to learn to face the critics and that's fine.

Just been nattering to Clare on the phone this afternoon and hear that you can't make the reunion. What a shame! We talked non-stop for over an hour, frequently interrupting each other and laughing our heads off, it was fantastic (sorry about crackly phone, Clare - the new ones are on charge!).

Hopefully we can catch up further on the Email etc. I don't think I've figured out how to do a private message on here yet. Can you ask Craig if he received my last which was in reply to his question, as I didn't want to post on open forum? It was a bit hit and miss as to whether I might have sent it into the ether!

It sounds as if more have put their names down for Sat (Lisa, Alice, Cath, Emily, Esther etc????), which is great. I think we'll all be hoarse by the end of it. Clare and I were discussing whether to sort something out for the evening too if anyone is free to stay on.

Clare will give you my normal Email address via Facebook. Drop me a line and in the meantime take care!

With love, Zoe :D
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Sorry for not responding earlier.

I can't make the reunion now - just too many things this month and somthing had to give, but maybe plan something later? I didn't get your PM (usually forums don't let you send them til you have posted at least 5 messages but email addy is csteglewis@aol.com.

Adam thanks for the note on FB (I have looked at it twice now this week - nearly an addict!) I am fine, though as usual working for a living is a pain in the bum, but someone has to do it....
Craig Steger-Lewis
1982-1989