From the sublime to the ridiculous

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: From the sublime to the ridiculous

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Neither of these is "Unique" --- think about it -----Either condition could, again, appear. this would involve the loss of "Uniqueness" which I imagine is impossible.-----otherwise in ain't unique !

Anyway -- I AM an old dinosaur -- and I don't care , and will continue with my predjudices-- so there !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm with you, Neill !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

eucsgmrc wrote: Well, very few absolutes are really so absolute that they can't be qualified. For instance:

A is the tallest man in the world since records began. He's clearly unique.

B is the tallest woman in the world since records began. She's also the only person ever to win a Nobel prize, an Olympic gold medal and the national lottery in the same year. She's clearly more unique than A.
Oh no she's not.
Oh yes she is. It takes only one man to grow very tall to displace A from his uniqueness, but B would still be unique even if another woman were to grow very tall.
My immediate reaction was to check the definition of 'unique' and it seems to be time related. The man is unique as at the moment that he is so described.
The woman is unique in two different contexts - height and separately winning those specified prizes within the allotted time period. Again, each is unique as at the moment the word 'unique' is used. It is not a lasting condition. Ergo each is an absolute absolute at the moment it is so described.

BTW I am sure that other absolutes could have been used to demonstrate the intended point - simply not this one.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Tell yer wot ---- I'm going back to sleep !! :lol:
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I just came across this page, and recommend it to those who enjoy being annoyed by split infinitives.http://www.secret-london.co.uk/BlueCoats.html
Mary
CH 1965-1972
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

"to actually now retain"...? Dreadful! :x
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

MKM wrote:I just came across this page, and recommend it to those who enjoy being annoyed by split infinitives.http://www.secret-london.co.uk/BlueCoats.html
What a pity they got CH's name wrong in the text.
Also, Sir John Cass was better known as a writer who died of a haemorrhage. In commemoration, on a day in November the staff and students of the college still wear a blood red quill pen in their buttonholes. Just one of the thousands of rarely known events in the City
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

sejintenej wrote: Just one of the thousands of rarely known events in the City
I may have asked this before but I was told that the Treasurer of CH is allowed to stand on the right hand side of the Lord Mayor.
(A privilege allowed only to the Treasurer of CH and the Monarch).
Can anyone confirm?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

It is the privelege of the Senior Grecian to present a loyal address to the newly crowned sovereign and there is another charity function in the City at which he / she is required to give an address (I'm away from home so I can't look it up)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Yes --- after 109 years at Horsham --- we are STILL a City School ! :D
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

A thread for silly, stupid or otherwise less than noteworthy facts for which there is no internet link.

A government warning said that anyone travelling in icy conditions should take a shovel, blankets or sleeping bag, extra clothing including a scarf hat and gloves. 24 hour supply of food and drink de - icer , rock salt torch spare batteries. Safety triangle tow rope , petrol can 1st aid kit - jumpleads . . .
I looked a right **** on the bus this morning !!!

From the Aude Flyer - it's been a bit cool recently
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: plus ça change

Post by sejintenej »

Times are bad. Children don't obey their parents and everyone is writing a book.

Cicero ca. 53BC

I'm sure that amongst the illuminati present that quote is not unknown, but how true!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

It's all a Matter of Taste

For those oenophiles amongst you (and don't tell the Moderators) I noticed amongst the bottles of wine in my local supermarket today some bottles of Fitou from the A*se Domaine

(there is an 'r' in there!)
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Dont tell me : - Its a cheeky little wine that you found on the bottom shelf (at the rear) ?
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

sejintenej wrote:It is the privelege of the Senior Grecian to present a loyal address to the newly crowned sovereign and there is another charity function in the City at which he / she is required to give an address (I'm away from home so I can't look it up)
Nuts to that. No problem with a loyal address for QE2 but KC III (or KG VII) wouldn't get a loyal address from me.

SG never looked like a very nice job, all things considered - too much memorising of stuff. It was much more fun smoking behind the .22 range.
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Avon wrote:
sejintenej wrote: SG never looked like a very nice job, all things considered - too much memorising of stuff. It was much more fun smoking behind the .22 range.
The Oration on Speech Day can now be read.
Col A 1946-1953