Remember, remember..........

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Remember, remember..........

Post by englishangel »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I don't wish to be a Spoil-sport but------- since I was in the business of explosive devices and the like, I realise the dangers, which are inherent.

I love Firework Displays, when carried ou professionally, with due consideration for Safety (And sometimes--- even then --!)
But small boys holding Roman Candles, Bangers thrown at cars or people etc. makes me sad, rather than angry.

Note the tradgedy of the Woman burned to death, because a firework was pushed through her letterbox ----- I expect the Culprit, if caught, will get a Community Service Order ---- which he (Or she) will ignore !!! :(

I think I have already told the story of the Yobs who were rounded up and put in a Patrol Car, taken 7 miles to the Police Station, where the Desk Sergeant was very very busy, with other things ---- until the last bus had gone !!!!
He then "Warned " them --- and they had to walk home !! It cured the "Problem" --- but that was in a village.
Going to be charged with murder apparently
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I don't wish to be a Spoil-sport but------- since I was in the business of explosive devices and the like, I realise the dangers, which are inherent.
I'm sure that controlled displays are more spectacular, safe, organised, etc.

But some of my happiest childhood memories are of fireworks in the back garden of our South London home.

A "friend" of my father's had a sweet shop on the road that lead towards Brixton from Streatham. Mid-October, we would make our firework visit, where the glass firework display cabinet would appear at the front of the shop, with appropriate age-restrictive notice. However, the sweet shop lady seemed to have a bit of a thing for my father (a ladies' man beyond all doubt) and I was allowed to choose a firework selection from the actual delivery boxes under the counter. The excitement! We'd have a big box of variety fireworks, then augment it with additional rockets, Catherine Wheels and anything a bit different that had just arrived. The perusal of the boxes! The comparison of the pictures on the firework! The wonderful smell of gunpowder!

There would be such anticipation in the air. All the neighbours would call over the fences to each other to confirm that every pet was in a safe place.

"Coo-ee! Mrs Curtis! Have you got your Sandy in? I'm just looking for our Tibbles.."

(Head appears over fence) "Sandy's in, Mrs Cobb. Our Sandy was terrified of them fireworks last year. I just seen your Tibbles in the alleyway!"

Milk bottles for the rockets would be lined up. Those with bonfires would be making final adjustments to the pyre, on which their Guy would be obliterated - having done "Penny for the Guy" duty for a week in Streatham High Road. I'd be allowed an introductory sparkler or two to write my name in the air. "Well away from the firework box, please!"

And then - kapow!

Lighting the blue touch paper and standing well back. "Never go back to a firework which hasn't gone off!" The beauty of a Golden Rain lighting up our garden! The splendour of the milk-bottle-launched rockets! The sneaky terror of the leaping squib! Wonderful.

How sad I felt when the very last firework was lit; but wonderful to get warm back in the house again, when my mother would produce baked potatoes and the breakfast-room fire would blaze as we struggled out of our coats and gloves. The cat (admittedly a little worried) would be reassured in its safe basket. Still - at bedtime the sky would be lit up and could be ooh'ed and ah'd at from my bedroom window.

The next morning, I would go out to retrieve the spent cardboard containers of fireworks, spread all over the garden, which was a little sad. Their thrilling pyro-lives gone in one rapturous night!

We never did get a good performance from a Catherine Wheel on the garden fence though!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Everybody's joy noted ,, Yes it is a wonderful time for the Children --- but I am still un-convinced about "Amateur Firework Displays" !!!

For JR -- I don't see how the charge can be Murder-- unles it can be proved that the offender had the INTENTION of killing the Victim --- otherwise Manslaughter ?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Everybody's joy noted ,, Yes it is a wonderful time for the Children --- but I am still un-convinced about "Amateur Firework Displays" !!!

For JR -- I don't see how the charge can be Murder-- unles it can be proved that the offender had the INTENTION of killing the Victim --- otherwise Manslaughter ?
Me actually, that was what it said in the paper.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Everybody's joy noted ,, Yes it is a wonderful time for the Children --- but I am still un-convinced about "Amateur Firework Displays" !!!
""Amateur Firework Displays""? How prim and censorious you sound, NEILL. Be convinced. We had the greatest fun - much more fun to do than to watch. We had safety talks at school on November 4th. I can still remember the safety catch-phrases - and the grown-ups supervised throughout. I don't remember any accidents.

What's more, we reproduced old-fashioned November 5ths for our children when they were little. My husband (pyromaniac!) perfected the art of a bonfire on a platform which didn't damage my garden.

Brilliant!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Maria has mentioned elsewhere that we often went to firework displays instead of having a birthday party for her. Partly this was because my husband was the Works Safety Officer at the factory where he worked and therefore was in charge of supervising the firework display. Also we couldn't afford fireworks at home, and it got me out of having to singlehandedly having to organise a party for a load of other children who would rather have been out somewhere else watching fireworks - mean or what?! In more recent years I have become aware that the first week in November is when SAD starts to kick in - I suspect that it was also the case then but I had not yet recognised that that was what it was.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Laura12
3rd Former

Post by Laura12 »

englishangel wrote:NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:
Everybody's joy noted ,, Yes it is a wonderful time for the Children --- but I am still un-convinced about "Amateur Firework Displays" !!!

Me actually, that was what it said in the paper.
It's the norm to arrest for murder and then charge with manslaughter if no evidence for murder but enough to charge manslater then to arrest for manslaughter then have re arrest for murder if it transpires there is evidence for murder.
Hope that makes sense. The most common use of that is for assaults. Arrest for ABH but charge for common assault. Easier to go down then up !
Laura12
3rd Former

Post by Laura12 »

Excuse my spelling mistake in the previous post !
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Angela -------" Prim and Censorious " ????----- ME ? :shock: (Sorry EnglishAngel ) --- I ?---- :shock:

Dammit Madam -- Jumping Jacks at twenty paces at Dawn ----- My Seconds will call on yours ! :lol:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Laura, you are able to 'edit' your posts for typos (button in top right hand corner of the post), but most don't bother unless it makes a nonsense of the post or it is on Pedants Revolt.

Blondie is the typo queen par excellence. (she also has a degree in English).
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Neill was absolutely correct - The charge of murder can only be accepted, IF it can be proved 'beyond all reasonable doubt', that the intent was to KILL.

Incidently, two grand-daughters went to the Brockham display and they told me it was even quieter than last year in terms of people attending, which surprised me somewhat.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

JR or somebody, if I set out to deliberately kill Person A, and accidentally kill Person B instead, would that still be murder or would it be manslaughter because I was not intending to kill Person B? Not of course that I am actually planning any such thing ............... (for the benefit of the pedants - sorry about the split infinitive!)
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Probably manslaughter, IF you can prove it.

Remeber though, manslaughter CAN also carry a life-sentence, (even though a life sentence these days is nothing but a joke !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

No fireworks in Barbados, we went to Leeds castle last year, fantastic evening out, i have to admit i am sad i missed it
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Even so, Amy, SURELY a honyemoon in Barbados would win hands down against a firework display at Leeds Castle? (Or I would hope so....)
You can always go to Leeds Castle next year, by which time you will be a revered old married lady.....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966