Clocks change

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Clocks change

Post by Katharine »

Just been reminded that the clocks change tonight, an extra hour in bed!

I remember at Hertford there was a man who came in to adjust the clocks, carrying his step ladder with him. Each time at the change there would be debate as we tried to negotiate which time should be used to establish our bed time, naturally we wanted the one which meant we went up later!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Clocks change

Post by englishangel »

Don't forget to change your time on here too.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

About 35-40 years ago there was 'summertime all the year round' (headline in a paper at the time-Daily Sketch(? )long since gone!) An experiment that ran for about 4 years, in late 60's/early 70's, when we didn't put the clocks back, meaning darker mornings and of course lighter evenings in winter. I can remember getting up on those pitch black cold winter mornings at Hertford and walking across the square, in the dark to breakfast - must have been just after 8am. When we came out , about 45mins later, it was just getting light. Does anyone else remember this?
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I don't actually understand the clock changing now - it seems a pointless exercise just to confuse people. We are no longer in a wartime situation, we have every possible protection available for walkers, most children are taken to school in 4x4's (here it is DREADFUL! the number of mothers who DRIVE to the local school (ie my horrible neighbour) to pick up their child/ren some in small cars, but there are so many of these Monster cars now it makes life very difficult when I go to teach - and yes I drive 'cos I get very tired after teaching, so I either drive or hitch a lift!)..... errr back to topic - one year when I was working I left the clocks as they were, and carried on getting up when my alarm went off etc, it was amazing - I got so much more done, and there wasn't a "jet lag" feeling that I get now when they change - I managed to do this for nearly 2 months - then I had to go back to the real time as I was annoying the children (hoovering the living room- under their bedrooms at 6am wasn't good for them apparently!)

So - WHY do we have to change the clocks? In 5 months we change the darn things back again! ARGH!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

"During the Second World War, double summer time (2 hours in advance of GMT) was introduced and was used for the period when, normally ordinary summer time would have been in force. During the winter clocks were kept one hour in advance of GMT. After the war, summer time was invoked each year from 1948 to 1967. In 1968 clocks were advanced one hour ahead of GMT on 18 February and remained so until British Standard Time, during which clocks were kept in advance of GMT all year, came into force between 27 October 1968 and 31 October 1971."

The above is a paragraph lifted from below if you don't want to read it all.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/explore/astronomy- ... time-(bst)

I remember it at Hertford though I don't remember the mornings being particularly dark, but I was always still asleep anyway.

I do remember the uproar in Scotland about children going to school in the dark.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

we all went to school in the dark! in more than one way! I used to go to work in the dark, not see daylight, and come home in the dark - today with all the street lighting etc they still can't stop people doing awful things, so why the clock change? I will go and look at the paragraph Mary, but I still think we can stay on 1 time now!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Apparently, there is talk of scrapping the change.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Thank you, Englishangel for the explanation, -- which saved me doing it ---

But I cannot believe that you are old enough to remember !!!!! :oops:
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

You should worry - it won't be long now til we'll be getting up in the dark & coming home in the dark cos the sun's only up between 10am & 3pm!! It's one thing I don't like about Finnish winters... cold is bearable - just wear the right clothes, snow is lovely cos it's not that wet slushy stuff you get in the UK but dark is dark and days are short! Admittedly there are some gloriously sunny short days and when the snow's on the ground it's beautifully bright.

oh, and on topic, the clock change here, too - same time as UK - we're always 2 hours ahead of you... (those of you in UK!!)
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Am currently in Mumbai on business and there we have a 4.5 hour time difference with Europe and 5.5 with UK.
Can't quite fathom ought why India is only country in world with a half an hour extra??

Also why is <Portugal on same time zone as UK?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

CHAZ wrote:Am currently in Mumbai on business and there we have a 4.5 hour time difference with Europe and 5.5 with UK.
Can't quite fathom ought why India is only country in world with a half an hour extra??

Also why is <Portugal on same time zone as UK?
Out of curiosity and before I went for another coffee top up, I looked at the world clock on timeanddate.com
India is not alone, Try Adelaide, Darwin, Tehran, St John's, Newfoundland, Kabul, and Chatham Islands.
I would guess that Portugal does it to spite mainland Spain. The Canaries have the same time as Lisbon.
Spain and western France should probably be the same as the UK, so blame the lot in Paris.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I've an idea that Nepal has its own time, and it is on a quarter hour rather than either whole or half hours from GMT.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Well Whilst trying to change the darn clock it fell on the floor, as did the pin it was held to the wall with (new houses only have plaster board!) so it took me over an hour to sort that out - which in reality means I could have left it there!! Lets start a petition to keep the clocks the same - GMT - it's an ancient and CH connected time.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Chaz,----- Re Portugal, --- The Meridian doesn't stop at Greenwich !

I haven't looked at the map, but I assume that if you follow O degrees longditude Southward ----- ?

Everybody fumbles for an Atlas, but I expect Dave by the Sea will know !! :lol:
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Chaz,----- Re Portugal, --- The Meridian doesn't stop at Greenwich !

I haven't looked at the map, but I assume that if you follow O degrees longditude Southward ----- ?

Everybody fumbles for an Atlas, but I expect Dave by the Sea will know !! :lol:
A bridge I cross just 3 km from my house is on the 0 degrees longitude.
My village house, which DBTS knows, is 0 degrees 2.4463 minutes west, meaning I am more or less due south of Forest Hill.
Spain should have same time as UK.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)