Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3377
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown
Location: Nordkapp, Norway
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by sejintenej » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 am

jhopgood wrote: My mother, who has just turned 90, but she doesn't know it, converted to the RC church in her 60's having been a strong Anglican all her life. She was in fact following in the steps of her brother, who did it at a much earlier age.
He lived in front of an Anglican church (St Peter's, Ropley), went to church there every day, and at his funeral (held at St Peter's), both RC and Anglican priests were present. He is buried there which, since he was RC, I found curious.
Unfortunately we didn't ask my mother about her funeral arrangements before she had her stroke, but I feel she would like something similar to her brother's. Now to see if we can arrange it when the time comes.
It seems not too controversial for priests /ministers of different churches to cooperate in a funeral service - I was at one recently involving an RC priest and a Methodist (?) minister held in an RC church. ISTR there was a funeral actively including priests/ministers of different denominations on TV not too long ago. My son's funeral was in the RC cathedral (he was RC) and interment at a C of E churchyard by a C of E canon.
‘So, still happy you voted for my namesake who took away your health insurance, raised your taxes and should turn out to be a mental patient?’

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15353
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by J.R. » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:31 pm

I think the two Christian religions in this country are slowly getting closer and closer. There will always be a few 'die-hards', especially in the Catholic Church.

Henry VIII has a lot to answer for, and I say that as someone baptised and confirmed in the C of E !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

loringa
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:01 pm
Real Name: Andrew Loring
Location: South Gloucestershire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by loringa » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:42 pm

I recently attended a funeral in Salisbury Cathedral, a particularly sad event as the deceased was only in her mid 40's and only a few weeks ago had been given a good five years to live. I have to say it was one of the strangest and the most camp thingsI have ever witnessed, anywhere. Although the singing was excellent, the rite was about the least inclusive I have ever come across with all the responses sung in plainsong which I have not come across since Compline in the late 1970's! As for the rest of the service the reformation might never have happened with a funeral Communion (aka mass), incense and holy water. It really made me feel quite uncomfortable although, of course, I do have enough humility to acknowledge that this was not about me and it is what she (the deceased) had planned. Nonetheless, it was a strange experience and not entirely how I would wish my favourite building normally to be used.

User avatar
huntertitus
Button Grecian
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:55 pm
Real Name: Robin
Location: Battersea, London.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by huntertitus » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:58 am

That book was written in the Victorian era. Is it an easy read? I am interested in the subject after spending the past 5 years photographing churches, abbeys, and cathedrals - up to almost 900 now!

User avatar
huntertitus
Button Grecian
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:55 pm
Real Name: Robin
Location: Battersea, London.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by huntertitus » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Interesting. I think I will find it and read it. I have been going to a staunchly Anglo-Catholic church here in Battersea, but recently have lapsed a little. They tend to take the religious politics rather too seriously, though in some ways I do think things would have been better if Henry V111 hadn't dissolved the monasteries, if only because so much of the best architecture (and medieval art) was thus destroyed.

User avatar
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm
Real Name: NEILL PURDIE EVANS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Just to be controversial -----who me ???

I see today, that the CofE have now got round the "Problem" of same-sex couples getting "Married in church"

Something to do with the "Licensing of the buildong "

Discuss ???

User avatar
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:13 am
Real Name: Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by icomefromalanddownunder » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:00 am

Celibate? No! No! I meant to write celebrate.

sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3377
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown
Location: Nordkapp, Norway
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by sejintenej » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 am

loringa wrote:I recently attended a funeral in Salisbury Cathedral, a particularly sad event as the deceased was only in her mid 40's and only a few weeks ago had been given a good five years to live. I have to say it was one of the strangest and the most camp thingsI have ever witnessed, anywhere. Although the singing was excellent, the rite was about the least inclusive I have ever come across with all the responses sung in plainsong which I have not come across since Compline in the late 1970's! As for the rest of the service the reformation might never have happened with a funeral Communion (aka mass), incense and holy water. It really made me feel quite uncomfortable although, of course, I do have enough humility to acknowledge that this was not about me and it is what she (the deceased) had planned. Nonetheless, it was a strange experience and not entirely how I would wish my favourite building normally to be used.
The C of E has, for my lifetime, had High and Low churches. The "High Churches" go far beyond our local RC cathedral; it looks like this is what you experienced and which I for one, dislike.
Low Church was straight out of the prayer book, spoken with, optionally, a few hymns. No incense but AFAIR Holy Water is sprinkled on the coffin during the commital. The Book of Common Prayer did not include Communion in the Funeral Rites though there is scope for the bereaved to apply some variation such as this.

Some ceremonies were not carried out in Low Church - Churching, for example has, I think, now been totally discontinued though, as a server, I did attend one which was held as part of the baptism..

CH under Rev. Pullen was about normal - not as low as some but not High Church.

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15353
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by J.R. » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:32 pm

I remember several years ago attending a High Church C of E wedding. All pomp, ceremony and incense.

Oddly, the marriage only lasted a year !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Katharine
Button Grecian
Posts: 3040
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:44 pm
Real Name: Katharine Dobson
Location: Gwynedd
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by Katharine » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Alan P5age wrote:
J.R. wrote:I remember several years ago attending a High Church C of E wedding. All pomp, ceremony and incense.

Oddly, the marriage only lasted a year !
What? Even shorter than the service itself? :wink:
I know of one that did last less time than the time in the church! When the "happy couple" went to sign the register the bride said top her father "Take me home, I'm not marrying this man". Apparently as the register had not been signed, they were not legally married. When the same woman turned up at the Vicarage with a different young man a couple of years later, the Vicar said "Not in my church, in my eyes you are married before God" - he did not know where he stood legally!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:55 am
Real Name: Angela Marsh
Location: Exiled Londoner, now in Staffordshire.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by Angela Woodford » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:59 am

What an astonishing story, Katharine! I wonder what happened?

A girl can change her mind!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""

Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:56 pm
Real Name: Chris Blewett
Location: Over (Cambridge)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by Chris Blewett » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:14 am

sejintenej wrote:
loringa wrote:I recently attended a funeral in Salisbury Cathedral, a particularly sad event as the deceased was only in her mid 40's and only a few weeks ago had been given a good five years to live. I have to say it was one of the strangest and the most camp thingsI have ever witnessed, anywhere. Although the singing was excellent, the rite was about the least inclusive I have ever come across with all the responses sung in plainsong which I have not come across since Compline in the late 1970's! As for the rest of the service the reformation might never have happened with a funeral Communion (aka mass), incense and holy water. It really made me feel quite uncomfortable although, of course, I do have enough humility to acknowledge that this was not about me and it is what she (the deceased) had planned. Nonetheless, it was a strange experience and not entirely how I would wish my favourite building normally to be used.
The C of E has, for my lifetime, had High and Low churches. The "High Churches" go far beyond our local RC cathedral; it looks like this is what you experienced and which I for one, dislike.
Low Church was straight out of the prayer book, spoken with, optionally, a few hymns. No incense but AFAIR Holy Water is sprinkled on the coffin during the commital. The Book of Common Prayer did not include Communion in the Funeral Rites though there is scope for the bereaved to apply some variation such as this.

Some ceremonies were not carried out in Low Church - Churching, for example has, I think, now been totally discontinued though, as a server, I did attend one which was held as part of the baptism..

CH under Rev. Pullen was about normal - not as low as some but not High Church.


The High and Low church debate always interests me - yes there are Anglo-Catholics who are happy with 'bells and smells' and there are the 'Low' churches who are 'happy clappy'. As a member of a Religious Order that can, and does, swing from low to very high(!) I find that the 'low' helps me to challenge my religious thinking and the 'high' helps me to go where I am happiest - the contemplative side of my nature.

Neither are right nor wrong but what is important is that the person going to church finds somewhere where they are happy.

I'll not start the debate about High Church rituals being used in Cathedrals/churches and being like Roman Catholic churches when most cathedrals and the older churches started life within the Roman Church!!!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73

User avatar
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm
Real Name: NEILL PURDIE EVANS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:36 am

It is my fervent belief that God puts you in the Church, in which he wants you.--------
To serve, to change things, or to to change yourself !

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15353
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by J.R. » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:41 am

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:It is my fervent belief that God puts you in the Church, in which he wants you.--------
To serve, to change things, or to to change yourself !

An interesting thought, Neill.

So where does that place the Muslim God, who promises 20 virgins in the after-life if his subjects strike down the 'infidel' ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:56 pm
Real Name: Frances Grogan (nee Haley)
Location: Surbiton, Surrey
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by Fjgrogan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:32 pm

So, is this Muslim afterlife only for men? What incentive is there for Muslim women .......... do they have to be virgins to qualify? Spending eternity as a 'reward' for murderous Muslim men hardly seems much of a reward for living a virtuous life! If that's all they have to look forward to, why bother?! Surely, since after the first time they would no longer be virgins, then presumably demand would very quickly outstrip supply?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'

Post Reply