Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by Fjgrogan »

Well, as it happens I am just packing to go to my daughter's (not the one in Finland) for a few days and wondering what to take as bedtime reading - so I have packed the unread copy of The Koran which has been collecting dust since I found it in The Works in Leicester for £2.99 .............. The print size is alarmingly small, but either it will lure me to sleep more easily than usual or it will further my education; I shall report back!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

It will probably send you to sleep.I once read about half.
Col A 1946-1953
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Alan P5age wrote:What I especially love about this particular Upanishad is that it evokes a sense of divine mystery and humility. God is beyond all human expression and can only be glimpsed through these veils of paradox.
Thank you Alan. As usual, coming from you, most thought provoking.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Alan P5age wrote:And on the topic of controversial bishops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFhyK3-g ... re=related

More power to his elbow is my opinion. Though I guess I may be in a minority.
Pobably not in this day and age. The problem with religion and sex is the Catholics attitude to 'child-abuse'.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Alan, I read the link in despair; it's absolutely sickening.

I could have cried.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

My point was simply that it sounds better. But I first heard it while driving my new wife across the USA coast to coast in a 1970's V8 muscle car
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Polygamy seems to be acceptable too!

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I was given a list of all the awkward questions that could be asked if one literally obeyed the writings in the bible. Most were from Leviticus, I think, but slavery, polygamy, were included.
Must find it and see how much I can put into practice.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

So I can devote this year to slavery and polygamy, but whatever happens I must definitely not get a tattoo or wear clothing made with mixed fibres. I don't recall ever reading anything about it being forbidden for two women to 'lie together', but I am prepared to be corrected, if anyone can quote chapter and verse!

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fjgrogan wrote:So I can devote this year to slavery and polygamy, but whatever happens I must definitely not get a tattoo or wear clothing made with mixed fibres. I don't recall ever reading anything about it being forbidden for two women to 'lie together', but I am prepared to be corrected, if anyone can quote chapter and verse!

It is alleged that Queen Victoria had her own views on this subject !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Alan P5age wrote: According to Christ "heaven and earth shall pass away before these laws cease to be binding to mankind (Matt 5: 18-19, Luke 16:17) and yet St Paul declares this be wrong and that the "Law" need not be followed by Christians. Asking how they square this with their perfect "Word" is interesting.
At the risk of running the gauntlet of all the females here, St Paul also wrote in I Timothy 2 vv 11 and 12. which bans most of the teaching profession in the UK. Also v 9 which comes close to Muslim views. (it was my son, not an OB, who brought those to my attention
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Alan P5age wrote:
Fjgrogan wrote:Polygamy seems to be acceptable too!
Indeed :lol:
Last word to Jamey. Just a shame all this was later beaten out of him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_z1HO6s ... re=related

And if anybody thinks this beautiful little soul deserves to be burning in hell, then, irrespective of bible verses you use to justify yourself, you are to be pitied.
I am sorry, but as, I believe, a good Christian,------- not only pitied -- but given a good thumping !! Bigots like that, do Christianity, no good !
From "Zealots" ---- of any Faith -- good Lord preserv us.

I did say to our Rector "I will turn the other cheek --- but you only get two shots -- and after that you are floored !"

She explained to me, with a twinkle in her eye, that it wasn't QUITE what it meant !

(Her Daughter went to CH )
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Neill - your comment 'from zealots, of any faith, Good Lord defend us' - with which indcidentally I heartily agree - reminds me of my father's description of the City of London motto Domine Dirige Nos. In Dad's words it meant 'Lord protect us, not God help us'. Personally I think it is Lord direct us, but even at my ripe old age I wouldn't dare to argue with my father who is a Freeman of the City of London, having been for many years chauffeur to a gentleman who was at one time Chief Commoner on the Court of Common Council.

Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Fjgrogan wrote:Neill - your comment 'from zealots, of any faith, Good Lord defend us' - with which indcidentally I heartily agree - reminds me of my father's description of the City of London motto Domine Dirige Nos. In Dad's words it meant 'Lord protect us, not God help us'. Personally I think it is Lord direct us, but even at my ripe old age I wouldn't dare to argue with my father who is a Freeman of the City of London, having been for many years chauffeur to a gentleman who was at one time Chief Commoner on the Court of Common Council.
Interestingly I thought it meant 'Lord Guide Us' - but then I only did latin for 1 year! I have also heard that said in my time in the City (and yes, I'm a Freeman as well!)
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73