Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:This pseudo Neill is amusing but in all seriousness I hope the real Neill is ok as he does not appear to have been on for a while.

He is one and the same. Unfortunately he has had a problem with his original log-in.

Julian, being Julian has his doubts as to his authenticity. Once an OB, always an OB !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

:offtopic:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Church attendance yesterday!

I was so thrilled when a nice woman came and sat down beside me and said that she'd heard I'd like to join the Choir!

(HOGOFs switch off here - I've already got much too excited on FB. Yes, Alan, you're a friend to HOGOFs!!!)

I'm really delighted. And... there was a little debate - don't know if any other OB singing people have knowledge here - but I was surprised that I was giving "Immortal, Invisible" the full soprano treatment. I've always sung alto. Does a woman's voice become hormonally higher with age, as Barbara suggested? Or otherwise? I had thought I were, er, um, brimming with testosterone by now.

"In Light Inaccessible, hid from our eyes". That's lovely. :D

Choir practice Thursday, 1930hrs. In the Vestry.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Angela - I am so pleased that you back in church and in the choir. I too returned to church yesterday after playing hookey for too long (it's a long story, but basically I had fallen out with the previous vicar who has now safely moved on elsewhere!). I don't know about the voice changing with age - I remember my grandmother as a baritone. Sadly I have found that what little voice I ever had has completely disappeared - I cannot hold a tune at all, which is most frustrating when I was actually wanting to belt out a few hymns. Granted I am currently recovering from a stinking cold, but it was happening even before then - I had noticed when I tried to sing along with Songs of Praise!

To go back to my grandmother - completely off topic, I know - she used to bounce me on her knee and sing music hall songs. It is delightful now when I sing the same songs to my own grand-daughter; in fact she has now (aged 2 and a half) started asking me to sing 'The Galloping Major' and telling me that her great-great grandmother used to sing it - that's what you call oral family history - especially as they share the same name (Amelia/Millie). [I rather suspect that Alan might now produce a recording of The Galloping Major on You Tube!!]
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Singing in a choir is simply the best. I am off in a minute to rehearse Vivaldi's Gloria and Magnificat with The Sloane Square Choral Society. Anyone in London wishing to join are welcome, especially tenors who we need more of, but any new members welcome - and no audition. Prospective singers contact me at this email address. infoatrobinft.co.uk
Last edited by huntertitus on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

huntertitus wrote:Singing in a choir is simply the best. I am off in a minute to rehearse Vivaldi's Gloria and Magnificat with The Sloane Square Choral Society. Anyone in London wishing to join are welcome, especially tenors who we need more of, but any new members welcome - and no audition. Prospective singers contact me at this email address.
Robin, I believe "bots" read this site so you might want to edit that e mail address a bit. Write "at" for instance so that humans can understand and "bots" cannot.

I've removed the address from the quote!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

huntertitus wrote:Singing in a choir is simply the best. I am off in a minute to rehearse Vivaldi's Gloria and Magnificat with The Sloane Square Choral Society. Anyone in London wishing to join are welcome, especially tenors who we need more of, but any new members welcome - and no audition. Prospective singers contact me at this email address. info@robinft.co.uk

Fully agree, just off to reherse Haydn's Nelson Mass with Riding Mill Choral Society. But I guess that the Tyne Valley might be a bit too far north for members of the forum.
NTN
3rd Former

Post by NTN »

I regret to say, that we no longer have a choir ---
The Rector (Pamela) decided to appoint a "Director of Music", over the head of the Organist and Choirmaster, who had held the post for some 24 years, and who taught Music.
He resigned (I don't blame him !) and so did the entire Choir, en masse !!!

I had been invited to join, because I can "Read" and because I impressed him by confessing that I had sung in the Choir of Salisbury Cathederal ------
During the War, they were short of Male Voices, and because I was at CH, under Dr Lang, I was able to "Stand in" on occasions, during School Holidays --- !!! (But it looks good on your CV !)
I now support the Congrigation --- Loudly !
Four of us are planning the Bach Chorale "O Sacred head sore wounded" for Good Friday.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

......... and I thought my family tree was complicated!! As you say, Alan, neither are really relevant because Jesus was not the son of Joseph anyway. And where does this put Henry V11, who seemed to be inadvertantly following the law of Deuteronomy when he married his dead brother's wife/betrothed, and then thought he could use it as an excuse to dump Katharine of Aragon in favour of Anne Boleyn. Was he really entitled to call himself Defender of the Faith when he apparently didn't know his Deuteronomic law?!

Yes, it had me in fits of laughter too!

NTN
3rd Former

Post by NTN »

It is a fact that Haile Selassie, Emperor of Abysinnia until deposed by Mussolini,
was able to trace his lineage back to Solomon and the Queen of Sheba -----
This was investigated and agreed by the Scholars.

It makes most, if not all, of the current Royal Families of the world, rather "Johnny-- come-- latelys " :lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NTN wrote:It is a fact that Haile Selassie, Emperor of Abysinnia until deposed by Mussolini,
was able to trace his lineage back to Solomon and the Queen of Sheba -----
This was investigated and agreed by the Scholars.

It makes most, if not all, of the current Royal Families of the world, rather "Johnny-- come-- latelys " :lol:
FWIW the Lord Lovat of Clan Fraser is said to be able to trace his family tree back to the Danish Vikings via Normandy (the family arrived with William the Conqueror)
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

:offtopic:
Fjgrogan wrote:To go back to my grandmother - completely off topic, I know - she used to bounce me on her knee and sing music hall songs. It is delightful now when I sing the same songs to my own grand-daughter; in fact she has now (aged 2 and a half) started asking me to sing 'The Galloping Major' and telling me that her great-great grandmother used to sing it - that's what you call oral family history - especially as they share the same name (Amelia/Millie). [I rather suspect that Alan might now produce a recording of The Galloping Major on You Tube!!]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWeBZTf ... re=related

I'm sure Millie Jr doesn't mind your singing... Alexander Minimus told me today that he doesn't like "the music you make with my mouth" - thanks, son!

:backtotopic:
Fjgrogan wrote:......... and I thought my family tree was complicated!! As you say, Alan, neither are really relevant because Jesus was not the son of Joseph anyway. And where does this put Henry V11, who seemed to be inadvertantly following the law of Deuteronomy when he married his dead brother's wife/betrothed, and then thought he could use it as an excuse to dump Katharine of Aragon in favour of Anne Boleyn. Was he really entitled to call himself Defender of the Faith when he apparently didn't know his Deuteronomic law?!

Yes, it had me in fits of laughter too!
I think you meant Henry VIIIth...
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Whoops! I did of course mean Henry VIII - full marks for observation, but what on earth are you doing online at 1.50 am your time, Maria?!!

NTN
3rd Former

Post by NTN »

Tracing our ancestry can be a bit difficult, when the Irish records (Parish) are concerned.
We are an Irish family, and have been for some 150 years.
If you think about it --- only an Irishman could be called "Evans" -- and be Irish.
I think we must have drifted over in a coracle, and been unable to beat back !!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NTN wrote:Tracing our ancestry can be a bit difficult, when the Irish records (Parish) are concerned.
We are an Irish family, and have been for some 150 years.
If you think about it --- only an Irishman could be called "Evans" -- and be Irish.
I think we must have drifted over in a coracle, and been unable to beat back !!
Trust a Welshman to get it wrong :wink: . You need to beat against the prevailing wind to get to Ireland and run to get back!

Yes, Irish ancestry is a bit hard but on my mother's side we have it back to the early 1600's in Ireland and back pre 1066 on another matriarchial line. Still having problems with my father - we have his death certificate and his mother's name and no more.