Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by DavebytheSea »

englishangel wrote:Durham Cathedral
A wonderful "Northern" cathedral standing up to weather on the hill top with nothing between it and the North Sea.
Oh - and there's no admission charge as such for Truro Cathedral - and there's nothing between it and heaven.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My (evangelical) brother-in-law posted this on Facebook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K4fveLQ ... r_embedded
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

DavebytheSea wrote:We are a churchgoing family - and not simply that St Mylor (proudly boasting its foundation in 410) is one of the oldest and prettiest waterside churches you could imagine. Although our congregation is usually small, I was astonished at the presence of no less than four Old Blues at our Christingle a year or so ago. I know also that no less a forumite than the Great Plum himself has read a lesson there!

The last Sunday in August is our Patronal Festival when the surrounding "woods and waters fair" reverberate to the enthusiastic rendering of the tune Middleton and the words "Praise the Lord for our foundation here in Mylor's hallowed ground"! We are even hoping to introduce "Eastern Monarchs" this Christmas - certainly it is to be sung in the Exeter University Carol Service - Jonathan (ex Pe A and Gr W) is Senior Sacristan there and Catherine Barber (another Old Blue) is his assistant as well as being president of MethAng (the Methodist and Anglican Society).

So yes - we go to Church.

So, DBTS, with every respect, are you a churchgoer because it's

a) ancient, pretty and waterside

and

b) it's Blue

or c) because you have faith?

Sorry.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Deffo all three! .... and it's only a bit Blue 'cos we make it so.

..... and we say grace before meals.

.... and we have much to be thankful for.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Part of the reason that I have continued to go to church after so long away is that I encounter no cynicism there

Its just a bunch of people promising to try to be good

And I think they do try to do so for the rest of the week, not just on Sundays
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Well said DBTS !
I have just written a piece for our Church Newsletter --- delivered to some 8,000 homes in Corfe Mullen (Largest Village in Europe ) on the subject of "Why do we go to Church"
Of course we can admire the Architecture, enjoy the Singing, meet with Friends, have Tea and Biscuits after the Service.
None of this affects, in any way, our purpose in being there ---- To worship God ! --- which we enjoy FIRSTLY !

I can't think of a Smiley --- but I don't care !
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

It's amazing how a bad vicar can put perceptive people off religion for a long time

I was brought up to believe the bible was all fundamentally true

It has to be said I was at 11 years old extremely naive

But that a man of the cloth would laugh at, and encourage the whole class to laugh at a child for this sort of belief did untold damage and it took 30 years to get over my loathing of the church, particularly the vicars that this caused.

Now I am at The Ascension, Lavender hill i have found a place of worship with a good man at the helm, down to earth and decent

I wondered if Neill the Notorious' church is Salisbury Cathedral

I aim to visit that place sometime in the next year

I am trying to see (and photograph) all the Cathedrals of England before I die

And to see (and photograph) 1000 churches too

I think I've done about 300 churches (and 8 Cathedrals including 2 catholic ones) already and only started at 50 years old!

Tell us about your church, Neill, make it notorious!
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

englishangel wrote:My (evangelical) brother-in-law posted this on Facebook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K4fveLQ ... r_embedded
Fabulous thank you; brilliant spoof and everything I loathe about 'worship'!
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

I agree that evangelical christianity is ghastly but high church ceremony, though to some looking stuffy and old fashioned, does have a certain sort of solemn beauty
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

In reply ---- We have two C of E Churches, in our Village, two Methodist Churches, one Baptist Chapel and one Family Church
The Village of Corfe Mullen (11,800 Souls) is alleged to be the largest Village in Europe, and retains it's Parish Council
One of the two C of Es is a lovely little Norman Church -- St Hubert's, which is close to the Mill of Corfe Mullen (The Mill in the Gap -- O.E.) and being on the river, was thought to have caused the Plague (Miasma) so the Village moved about a mile up the hill and settled there.
This left St. Hubert's somewhat isolated, and Eventually (No Hurry ! ) in 1998, a new large church St Nicholas, was built, near to the Centre of the Village. I was on the Planning Committe which approved the Plans, --which were pushed through by a Non- practising Roman Catholic, Methodist, and a Baptist (Self --at that time ) without an Anglican in sight !!
We were of different Parties, but believed the new Church was important ! S0------
The Family Church was founded by a Couple who believed, at the time, that it would be the centre of the Village --- Ho Ho !
it was built about a Mile from the , then, Centre --- it now IS ! This couple wanted to be buried above ground -- but their Tomb was cnstantly broken into, looking for jewellry. At the last restoration of the Baptist Chapel they were placed in a chamber, --above ground-- below the Church Office, sealed, but with a trap-door in the floor !
The Norman Church is a favourite for Weddings, because of the setting, which the Modern, lacks -- big car park Rectory, Out=buildings etc --- when I joined it -- I had to discover what a "Narthex" was --- !

When you go to Salisbury, look at the grey marble columns on the LEFT side of the West Door -- to see a pink, running PIG, obviously arranged there by a 13thC. Mason, with a sense of humour ! and stand close to the marble columns under the Tower and look up --- they are BENT under the weight of the Spire, which was added. I believe that Wren's iron "Waistcoat" round the cracking Tower and Spire, has now gone !

----- Well you did ask ! Print out and take with you ! Salisbury is lovely -- but CHARTRES -- WOW !
bap
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by bap »

Obviously it is no longer necessary to go to church for a funeral. I have attended two humanist funerals, and they are as moving as any I've been to in a church. On was held in a crematorium, the other in a humanist "facility" opposite HMS Mercury just off the A3M in Hampshire. In the latter, the deceased was buried in a man-sized wicker basket which the sun shone through as his sons pushed him on a beere [spelling?] to a wooded glade where he was interrred. Beautiful - even the zealots who were present were moved.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

A bier, I believe?

A wooded glade! That sounds lovely and... restful!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

This is where I hope to be buried. I don't know if it will be when the bluebells are out though.

http://woodlandburialparks.wordpress.co ... rial-park/
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

When my Father bought the Old Vicarage in Long Load Somerset, he was informed that he would have to keep the Beer in the Stables --- Being a Teetotaller, he was somewhat surprised, until he , also, realised he had made a mental mis-spelling !
In a Village, with a Church and Churchyard, there was no need for Hearses, and the Village walked behind the Bier (Dusted down for the occasion) to the Church for the Funeral and Interment.
It only happened three times in my time there --- but I thought it rather nice ! :)
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Checking the papers this morning, I'm confused.

I'm looking at the unhappy face of Dr Rowan Williams - that's the bits of his face one can see.

He's been taken by surprise at the proposal that up to a thousand Anglican priests who, implacably opposing women priests/bishops and homosexuality ("Forward in Faith") are invited into a formalised membership of the R C Church?

I've been reading the articles, and it seems like the Forward in Faithers will be a bit like an ecclesiastical Lib-Dem Party. Or, as in the business world, a sudden takeover/merger.

What liturgy? What about those who are Anglo Catholic anyway? I must look at it all again. I'd be interested in any Blue opinions. MaryB, where are you?