Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:56 pm
Real Name: Chris Blewett
Location: Over (Cambridge)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by Chris Blewett » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:03 pm

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:It is my fervent belief that God puts you in the Church, in which he wants you.--------
To serve, to change things, or to to change yourself !
I'll go with that......... in fact I may well quote you!!!!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73

DavidRawlins
Button Grecian
Posts: 1034
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:50 pm
Real Name: David Charles Rawlins
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by DavidRawlins » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Fjgrogan wrote:So, is this Muslim afterlife only for men? What incentive is there for Muslim women .......... do they have to be virgins to qualify? Spending eternity as a 'reward' for murderous Muslim men hardly seems much of a reward for living a virtuous life! If that's all they have to look forward to, why bother?! Surely, since after the first time they would no longer be virgins, then presumably demand would very quickly outstrip supply?
It must be very frustrating for Muslim men. There is no evidence that they would be allowed to deflower the virgins.
Col A 1946-1953

loringa
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:01 pm
Real Name: Andrew Loring
Location: South Gloucestershire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by loringa » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Chris Blewett wrote:I'll not start the debate about High Church rituals being used in Cathedrals/churches and being like Roman Catholic churches when most cathedrals and the older churches started life within the Roman Church!!!
Indeed they did but fortunately Henry VIII had the good sense to break with with Rome which, however self-serving his reasons, was IMHO the best thing that could have happened for England. I don't necessarily feel the same about the dissolution of the monasteries but the Reformation and Dissolution were, of course, quite separate events even if the one did lead naturally, though not inevitably, on from the other. As you may surmise, I am in the Cromwell rather than the More camp and Henry at least regretted executing the former!

User avatar
huntertitus
Button Grecian
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:55 pm
Real Name: Robin
Location: Battersea, London.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by huntertitus » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:53 pm

The Horror! The Horror!

User avatar
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm
Real Name: NEILL PURDIE EVANS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:44 am

I really don't think that the Tudors were very nice people -------

With the OBVIOUS exception of our Founder !!!

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15329
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by J.R. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:46 am

DavidRawlins wrote:
Fjgrogan wrote:So, is this Muslim afterlife only for men? What incentive is there for Muslim women .......... do they have to be virgins to qualify? Spending eternity as a 'reward' for murderous Muslim men hardly seems much of a reward for living a virtuous life! If that's all they have to look forward to, why bother?! Surely, since after the first time they would no longer be virgins, then presumably demand would very quickly outstrip supply?
It must be very frustrating for Muslim men. There is no evidence that they would be allowed to deflower the virgins.

Bit of a wasted journey, then !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:56 pm
Real Name: Frances Grogan (nee Haley)
Location: Surbiton, Surrey
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by Fjgrogan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:41 pm

So, either Allah has a constant source of perpetual virgins, or all these suicide bombers are operating under false pretences. I think I shall stick with being a DIY Ecumenical Christian!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15329
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by J.R. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:12 pm

In that case, I'll stick to being a 'Don't Know' !!

At my age, I need 24 hours notice and a hot-water bottle !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3365
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by sejintenej » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:29 pm

J.R. wrote:In that case, I'll stick to being a 'Don't Know' !!

At my age, I need 24 hours notice and a hot-water bottle !
Lucky you don't need Viagra

User avatar
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm
Real Name: NEILL PURDIE EVANS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:35 pm

sejintenej wrote:
J.R. wrote:In that case, I'll stick to being a 'Don't Know' !!

At my age, I need 24 hours notice and a hot-water bottle !
Lucky you don't need Viagra
All comments censored I trust !

anniexf
Button Grecian
Posts: 1898
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:29 pm
Real Name: Ann Wilkinson 8s
Location: England
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by anniexf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Fjgrogan wrote:So, either Allah has a constant source of perpetual virgins, or all these suicide bombers are operating under false pretences.


I was told that the virginity in Paradise is renewable. A Muslim former neighbour did Hadj in his late middle age, & came home in flowing white robes and cap, and bearded. He told me eagerly that all his sins had been forgiven at Mecca. Gobsmacked, I was. (Oddly, shortly after that he became ill and lost his own house and, I believe, his other properties; it was in the Thatcher era of leaping interest rates.) But wouldn't it be nice to go on a pilgrimage where the "package" guaranteed forgiveness? If I were a bloke, I might consider converting; but there's nothing much in it for women, I'm afraid.

User avatar
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm
Real Name: NEILL PURDIE EVANS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:37 pm

"Not much in it for Women" ----for total forgiveness-- ?

This might provoke an interesting debate ---- starting with Eve, and including my first wife.

Come to think of it --- If I had been a better Husband ---------

I thought all who confess their sins and place their confidence in the Saviour ------ ?

sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3365
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by sejintenej » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:31 pm

anniexf wrote:
Fjgrogan wrote:So, either Allah has a constant source of perpetual virgins, or all these suicide bombers are operating under false pretences.


I was told that the virginity in Paradise is renewable. A Muslim former neighbour did Hadj in his late middle age, & came home in flowing white robes and cap, and bearded. He told me eagerly that all his sins had been forgiven at Mecca. Gobsmacked, I was. (Oddly, shortly after that he became ill and lost his own house and, I believe, his other properties; it was in the Thatcher era of leaping interest rates.) But wouldn't it be nice to go on a pilgrimage where the "package" guaranteed forgiveness? If I were a bloke, I might consider converting; but there's nothing much in it for women, I'm afraid.
If a Muslim has the permitted four wives is he permitted to enjoy one of these young ladies?
Do Muslim women get innocent boys?
How do we know that the virgins are not 90 years old or more?
We need to see the Fatwas about the subject

User avatar
jhopgood
Button Grecian
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:26 pm
Real Name: John Hopgood
Location: Valencia
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by jhopgood » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:43 pm

As usual, I haven't read the Koran etc, but I would hazard a guess that the Devil is in the small print.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15329
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Does anyone on this forum go to church?

Post by J.R. » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:43 pm

sejintenej wrote:
anniexf wrote:
Fjgrogan wrote:So, either Allah has a constant source of perpetual virgins, or all these suicide bombers are operating under false pretences.


I was told that the virginity in Paradise is renewable. A Muslim former neighbour did Hadj in his late middle age, & came home in flowing white robes and cap, and bearded. He told me eagerly that all his sins had been forgiven at Mecca. Gobsmacked, I was. (Oddly, shortly after that he became ill and lost his own house and, I believe, his other properties; it was in the Thatcher era of leaping interest rates.) But wouldn't it be nice to go on a pilgrimage where the "package" guaranteed forgiveness? If I were a bloke, I might consider converting; but there's nothing much in it for women, I'm afraid.
If a Muslim has the permitted four wives is he permitted to enjoy one of these young ladies?
Do Muslim women get innocent boys?
How do we know that the virgins are not 90 years old or more?
We need to see the Fatwas about the subject

I have a far better solution !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Post Reply