Afghanistan

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Afghanistan

Post by J.R. »

I see the latest brave British soldier to die in Afghanistan came from Redhill.

Suddenly, it all gets a bit closer to home !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Afghanistan

Post by englishangel »

A lovely Christmas present to help the 'boys and girls' is the "Help for Heroes" cookbook, subtitled "What would you feed your HERO?"

There are contributions from all sorts of people from Dame Vera Lynn to Private Harry Patch.

A fascinating slice of life and a great cookbook.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

YES --!!! Get out and Buy one -- or two, Christmas approaches !

But don't get me started on the Government treatment of the dis-abled Servicemen ----- GRRRR !
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I cheered and clapped like mad at my son Henry's Passing-Out Parade this summer. I felt unbelievably proud!

However, I know that inevitably he will be going to Afghanistan. He's a soldier now.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

My neighbour is off to her son's passing out parade this week. She is immensely proud of her son, bur frightened for the future. I'll be praying for all concerned.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Of course, no Soldier believes he will die in Service --- and most don't.

When I served in Eritrea (Look it up !) fighting Shifta "Bandits", it was, I believe, the last of the "Gentlemen's Wars"
One of our Chaps got a bullet through his Binoculars--- which killed him.

The Shifta sent a "General", under a White Flag, to his Funeral, with a letter for his Parents, saying how sorry they were that he had been killed, but this was part of the nature of a Soldier's Profession, but that they respected him, and felt that it was a tradgedy,but that these things happen in Conflict.

This didn't bring their Son back but what a letter to get from the ENEMY !

I liked the Shifta !
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

midget wrote:I'll be praying for all concerned.
Thank you Maggie. That's a truly kind thought.

Henry has just finished an extremely arduous training session - seven hours sleep in a week - to earn something called a stable belt - had to have it explained to me.

When I think how hard it has always been to turf him out of his pit.....
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Of course, no Soldier believes he will die in Service --- and most don't.

When I served in Eritrea (Look it up !) fighting Shifta "Bandits", it was, I believe, the last of the "Gentlemen's Wars"
One of our Chaps got a bullet through his Binoculars--- which killed him.

The Shifta sent a "General", under a White Flag, to his Funeral, with a letter for his Parents, saying how sorry they were that he had been killed, but this was part of the nature of a Soldier's Profession, but that they respected him, and felt that it was a tradgedy,but that these things happen in Conflict.

This didn't bring their Son back but what a letter to get from the ENEMY !

I liked the Shifta !

Weren't they one of the Chimps in the old PG-Tips tele adverts ?

"Coo-eee, Mr Shifta !"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Well done, lowering the tone.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Now that the ridiculous fourth plinth experiment is finally over, what about a statue of a British soldier in desert cams, no rank or regiment, as a permanent exhibit?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I believe JR that you are PROBABLY safe at a distance of some 5000 miles --- but I wouldn't be sure ! -- :lol:
They are now fighting, with some success-- the Ethiopians !
"Battle Dress" for them, consisted of a Rifle, Ammunition, Water Bottle, Tunic and Sandals. and they knew the countryside,
this meant that they could travel at three times the speed of a British Platoon, weighed down with Bren Guns, Mortars, Packs, Boots, etc.etc. You see why I admired them !

I once pursued them, some five miles into what was then Abyssinia ---- (There are not many identifying features on an un-marked Frontier,) --- but I doubt if anyone about, would have tackled a British Platoon--- armed to the teeth --- but SLOW !!! :oops:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I have just dug out, from the Family Medal Bag (They all go in there !) the Indian Army Medai with clasps for Afghanistan 1919 and Waziristan 1919-1921, awarded to 2/lt W.A. Evans 37th Dogras (Me uncle Bill -- like !)
The King's Head (George V) is circumscribed with " GEORGIVS KAISA I HIND " and the reverse witha Fort -- un-named and backed by Mountains, with the subscription "INDIA"

The days of the "Great Game " !

Poor Uncle Bill, educated at Crewkerne and Sandhurst --Brilliant Scholar, Athlete and Horseman--- died on the N.W. Frontier at the age of 22 from APPENDICITIS -- -- which was, of course, a Death Sentence, there.
Consequently my Grandmother asked my Father, who had also passed for Sandhurst, NOT to join the Army ----
So he became the first of us --- not to be a Soldier. I think, however he saw more "Action" in the 1940 Blitz in the City, as a Policeman --- than I did as a Soldier ! (At least I could shoot back !!)
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

"The leader of a controversial Islamic group vowed to continue with plans for a march through Wootton Bassett in an online letter to families of fallen soldiers.

Anjem Choudary of Islam4UK - a branch of the extremist al-Muhajiroun movement - sparked dismay with plans to parade through the town famous for honouring service personnel killed in Afghanistan."

Today's Independent.

They've got every right to hold an Islamic march anywhere they like. It's a free country! But I feel it's ghastly to hold the march in Wootton Bassett, where the townspeople demonstrate their quiet respect for our fallen soldiers.

I hope nobody turns up.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

The problem will be ----- if they DO turn up !!!

I imagine that there will be a fair number of "Misguided" people, who will wish, also, to demonstrate their "Displeasure"

by beating the living *******/***** out of the Muslim Parade, in that particular Town..

This of course, in a free Country, will be broken up by the Police, and doubtless some of the "Misguided" will find themselves in Court, charged with Affray !

I would hope that the Magistrate would fine them 20p each --- but I doubt it !!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

As you say Neill - The Muslim extremists WANT the people of this country to re-act. It adds more fuel to their fire.

What WE should do, is line the pavements as they march, and stand quietly with our backs turned.

I'm sure they AND the worlds press would get the message.

Incidently - Did anyone see Michael Portillo's programme on TV about Guantanamo Bay last night ? Very very good.

I'm not a Tory, but I've always liked and admired Michael Portillo.