SPIDERS!!!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

SPIDERS!!!

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

I am writing an article about spiders...

If anyone has any anecdotes, myths they know of, old wives tales, interesting facts, pictures... I'd be interested to see them.

:supz:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: SPIDERS!!!

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I love spiders.
When I was stationed in Khartoum in Blue Nile Barracks, I used to sleep under a Ceiling fan, with a wet towel over my naked body --- nice and cool !
One night, I heard a shuffling noise, and so I shone a torch and was confronted by a GINORMOUS SPIDER in my room.
I carefully tucked up the towel and left Her (Probably) for the night.
Next Morning, at Breakfast, I related the events of the night and another Officer said "I'll give you a Fiver (Sudanese) to swap rooms !
I replied "If it's worth a Fiver to you, then it's worth a Fiver to me ! Whats the advantage ?"
I was told that is a "Scorpion Spider" ( ? correct Entomological name ) and with "Jezebel" in my room, there would be no Scorpions or Geckos, in my boots --- or falling on my face, in the middle of the night.
We came to a mutually beneficial arrangement -- Jezebel lived under the Wardrobe during the Day,. and was shown to Visitors with a torch, -- she had the run of the place at Night !

I was stung on the Stomach, by a Scorpion (That's another Story ) and when asked what colour it was I replied "FLAT ! !"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I too like spiders.

Where I used to work, there was a pet-shop next door. I often used to pop in, being an animal lover and chat to the owner and let his own bird-eater walk up and down my arms.

Contrary to popular belief, spiders and humans can get on very well with each other. Somewhat like snakes.

Incidently, No 1 Son-In-Law is absolutely terrified of spiders. If confronted, he'll go completely white to the point of fainting. And he's a guy that rides a 160 mph super-bike !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

J.R. wrote:I too like spiders.

Contrary to popular belief, spiders and humans can get on very well with each other. Somewhat like snakes.

!

Hmmmm, think that should read SOME humans and SOME snakes.

I do not forgive the brown snake that bit one of our cats. It made her (and my bank balance) very ill.

I do not forgive the brown snake that bit a friend's dog and killed it.

I do not forgive the dead brown snake that I found on the sofa. Even though it was dead it was still dangerous. Just like (to bring this back on topic) huntsman spiders. The myth is that they are not dangerous. They bl**dy are! May not be toxic, but can cause a heart attack just by being seen.

xxxx
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Generally speaking, snakes and spiders only 'bite' when 'attacked'.

Jan's brother was bitten by an adder when he was ten, but then again, he did try to pick it up !!!!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

J.R. wrote:Generally speaking, snakes and spiders only 'bite' when 'attacked'.
I don't care. I still don't like them.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I'm with you, Caroline. If it has more than 4 legs or fewer than 2 I take to the hills.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

And here's a bit of possibly NOT so useless information.

The only spider, resident on these Isles that can actually bite through human skin, is the English/British Bog/Marsh spider.

Quite large and generally only found in the wetlands of South East England. Apparently, quite docile and the bite is similar to a bee-sting.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Midget ---- I suppose Long John Silver would send you to the hills -----
This, surely (Shirley), is blatent discrimination against disabled persons ! :lol:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote: They bl**dy are! May not be toxic, but can cause a heart attack just by being seen.
I'm terrified of spiders and people always say 'it won't hurt you' to which I reply, 'no, it might not hurt me but the heart attack it gives me will hurt!'
midget wrote:I'm with you, Caroline. If it has more than 4 legs or fewer than 2 I take to the hills.
Yep, I'm with you on that! I'm frightened of ALL insects, especially those flippin' daddy-long-legs things that divebomb my head in the summer! And moths, in fact, everything with wings and/or smaller than a cat!
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

In places like Australia, which probably has a greater proportion of venomous animals to human population than most countries, it pays to be wary!

Certainly in Brazil the general attitude is to squash it first and find out what it is (or was) afterwards!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

In South Africa, ALL bugs, of whatever size or species, are known as a GOGA
This is pronounced HOCHA, and is universal, which can explain the innocent squashed item !
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

dislike of anything creepy or carwley!!! However I did the other day bravely and without a shriek capture a bee under a glass and paper and put it back outside-I was VERY proud of myself!
Like lonelymom hate moths and bees/wasps-they are often no where near but i can hear the buzz!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

We have a book called "Killing defence at bridge". I can confirm that it works on spiders, if dropped from a height of about 3 feet.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

MKM wrote:We have a book called "Killing defence at bridge". I can confirm that it works on spiders, if dropped from a height of about 3 feet.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant! Must get that book :lol:
lonelymom :rolleyes: