SPIDERS!!!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Re: SPIDERS!!!

Post by midget »

Joe's daughter got married in a tiny church in Ireland which was rarely used- first wedding there in 30 years. The morning of the wedding all the men in the party were sent to the church to remove a wasp's nest. There were still some of the brutes about in the afternoon, but fortunately nobody was stung. Deo gratias!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

First attempt - final score - nil!!! I always was somewhat lacking in hand-eye-brain co-ordination! I dread to think how Lonelymom will react to this one, but I bet Maria will love it!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Tried it - didn't like it :(
(and was rubbish at it!)
lonelymom :rolleyes:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Loved it

First attempt 99
Second attempt 1396.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Can't believe I've just played one game - ONCE. (Scored 45 !)

It makes you wonder how much free-time some computer programmers must actually have !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

There was a maaaasive moth in my bedroom last night :shock: Honestly, it was gigantic! :( :( I think it's mummy must have had a liaison with a bird and created the mutant moth that was dive-bombing my husband's head last night while I screamed on the stairs! But the shadow-show (that I was watching from the safety of the stairs) while he wrestled with it was hilarious!
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

lonelymom look away. Get a drink or something.
On the outside of the window in my living room I have been watching a spider for about six weeks(not all the time obviously)
as it goes about its spidery business. It has created the most phenominal web right across the window. It looks like the spider in Charlotte's web -no really it does. Like a cartoon spider.I don't know where it goes in the daytime but as dusk comes around it appears out of the dark to survey its work . It mends the holes and spins a few extra lengths of web while checking over what it will later devour.
The other day a wasp flew into the web as my younger daughter and I were inspecting the web through the window. The spider appeared from nowhere and spun the wasp around and around suffocating it with astonishing speed whilst covering it with its stuff.My son came to view this hideous but fascinating event and told me that spiders spin several different types of thread. Apparently, some of them are sticky to catch the prey and some are not sticky so that the spider can walk along them with impunity.
My elder daughter hoovers up any spiders or cobwebs at the first opportunity but I have forbidden her to touch Charlotte. I wonder how long spiders live ? I thought the wind and the rain might get her but she has survived so far and I am agog to see how long she might last.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I suppose that everyone realises, that at this time of year ALL spiders are FEMALE, except for the very young.
Most female spiders kill and eat their Mates -- immediately after copulation, --- or before, if they dont like the look of them !

I trust that this habit will continue to be confined to the Arachnoids !!! :oops:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Well, it is often said that men are only good for one thing! :lol:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

lonelymom wrote:Well, it is often said that men are only good for one thing! :lol:
opening jars!

Nope, put on a pair of rubber gloves and it's easy-peasy
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

englishangel wrote:
lonelymom wrote:Well, it is often said that men are only good for one thing! :lol:
opening jars!

Nope, put on a pair of rubber gloves and it's easy-peasy
Ok, it appears that men are now good-for-nothing! :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I have come over all peculiar.

Today's Grauniad advises us that the stag beetle is declining in population thanks to tidier gardens and larger patios. A stag beetle spends years lurking underground, then emerges.... can be up to 4" long... black and shiny with sinister waving black mandibles. I should be burying a bucket in the garden filled with wood chippings to encourage and feed the stag beetle larvae.

Can you imagine? There I'd be, quite happy in the garden, whereupon a bucketful of giant black shiny mandible-waving 4" long beetles would emerge one day, tumbling one over the other in a spontaneous terrifying eruption.

I could never bask in a bikini for sheer fear that today might be The Day!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

OMG and eeeergh, and OMG and eeeeergh! It's the stuff of nightmares! :cry:
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Years ago, a rotten tree in the garden of the house opposite my parents' home disgorged HUNDREDS of stag beetles all up in the air, over the walls and over the road, one summer evening. It was a terrifying sight (and sound - their armourplated bodies are very noisy as they walk) - and quite disconcerting for car drivers. It was a busy main road and the number of squashed bodies the next morning was quite amazing. Reminded me of one hot night when I was in Upper Dorm in 5's - so hot that we had thrown off all blankets and were just lying under our sheets. Millions and millions of black fruit flies came in through the windows (from the tulip tree outside) and massed on the ceiling - from where they fell in their thousands over our beds and onto the floor. Yuk! I wonder if it ever happened again?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966