Wellington College Crowthorne

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

CHAZ
Grecian

Wellington College Crowthorne

Post by CHAZ »

Does anyone have any info good or bad on this school? I'm looking into something and thought that somebody may know someone who knows someone etc:
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Wellington College Crowthorne

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Is this THE Wellington College --- famous for the education of boys (And now perhaps Girls ?) preparing for a Career in the Services ?
If not----- I apologise to them,----- and the other :oops:
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

It may be as there is a good military link. It's in berkshire...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I knew someone who went there and then into the Royal Engineers.

It is 150 years old this year. Co-ed for 13-18 year olds. Has just moved over to the IB, I saw that on the news the other day.

http://www.wellingtoncollege.org.uk/
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

CHAZ wrote:Does anyone have any info good or bad on this school? I'm looking into something and thought that somebody may know someone who knows someone etc:
I am almost certain that this is the Wellington College to which Neill refers. If so, it is where David Newsome went after his departure from CH and is, according to various friends and colleagues, a very good school. I'll contact an old friend who went there and if he is happy will PM you with his details. He was there under Newsome and thought the world of him as HM.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

loringa wrote:
CHAZ wrote:Does anyone have any info good or bad on this school? I'm looking into something and thought that somebody may know someone who knows someone etc:
I am almost certain that this is the Wellington College to which Neill refers. If so, it is where David Newsome went after his departure from CH and is, according to various friends and colleagues, a very good school. I'll contact an old friend who went there and if he is happy will PM you with his details. He was there under Newsome and thought the world of him as HM.

Thanks. I remember Newsome going there in 1979 and also the Revd John Robson. I may be wrong but also did not a teacher called Jones also go about the same time. The Jones I am referring to coached rugby First Xv and is on a photo here somehwere. perhaps the photos thread...

I'm looking for some up to date info nothing serious...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Crowthorne is in the next village to mine, (not literally mine, merely where I reside!). I know that the educational infomation is open and readily available but as a local I can tell you that it does have a great reputation and in addition is one of the few establishments near here (we're also not far from Henley and Windsor) which does NOT have a reputation locally for the bad behaviour off grounds off pupils, little in the way of drug/alcohol abuse and mis--use etc. In fact it is well known for the excellent local interaction. They also stage some amazing concerts which are open to the public and Old Wellies (I don't know, I just thought it appropriate, being an Old Blue....) and are very well thought of. The grounds and school bed in very well and are seen as a complete advantage not disadvantage. Crowthorne is residentally quite large for a village but has a couple of small parades of shops (and a fab hatshop to which my my avatar can attest) scattered throughtout the village - believe me, if anything unpleasant or untoward was going on it would be all over the local gossip rag and through the adjoining villages like wildfire!

The only drawback to it that parents may feel is that it is startling close to Broadmoor!
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A7414292)

But then it's also only 5 miles from Sandhurst!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Thanks for all this good info, Gerrie. It does look like a good place but property is really expensive in the area I see. Anyway still mulling on something and will see if I get called up.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

No question at all that property round here is diabolical; we were lucky and came here in millenium year on a company move, otherwise probably couldn't have done it. Crowthorne is set in the middle of Bracknell forest and it really is great around here (Google Earth it!) - property wise if you do get 'called up', then you could also look at Camberley and Bracknell; the road connections are very good being about 10 mins to M3 and 20 to M4, Heathrow is 30 on a good day! Rail connections are between Redhill and Reading so although the villages are pricey there are many areas in the surrounding towns that are very quiet - I guess it all depends on what and where you are coming from! If you need any assiatnce then please PM me and I will be happy to assist in any way I can! Good luck.
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Thank Gerrie. If things happen, I will indeed come bck to you on PM. Cheers!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Crowthorne is also home to a certain 'Hospital for the Criminally Insane' !!

Do they still test that hooter once a week ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

J.R. wrote:Crowthorne is also home to a certain 'Hospital for the Criminally Insane' !!
Yes, I've spent many happy hours there. On work business. Honestly.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The only drawback to it that parents may feel is that it is startling close to Broadmoor!
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A7414292)
oops J.R has woken up again.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

A lovely place. I didn't want to mention it by name.

I remember when a certain brutal murderer escaped when I was in a previous profession. All off-duty plod and army bods were all called in. (Was it Strachen - the baby-faced killer ??)

I have to say, having seen the inside, even all those years ago, it's more like a hotel than a hospital or a hospital prison.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I suppose many people spend the rest of their natural there through what has been decided is no fault of their own so they try and make it pleasant.