The Pedant's Revolt

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: The Pedant's Revolt

Post by Katharine »

LongGone wrote:
jhopgood wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:It's that time of year for hearing about peoples' holidays!

Am I alone in feeling irritated by " Yes! We did Rome... did Naples... did Salerno on our way to Sicily!"?

It annoys me. I'd actually like to hear about some interesting places, not imagine them being briskly ticked off on a list of "done".

Oof. That's had my moment of irritation then! :twisted:
What I call "The Americans do Europe" syndrome.
My in-laws from Costa Rica did it and had to come and stay with us to recover. They had little idea where they were most of the time.

Wasn't there a book "If this is Tuesday, this must be Belgium"
One summer, as a student, I was dishwashing in Copenhagen. I was chatting to a mate at the Reception desk, when an American asked "Say, can you tell me the quickest way to Buck'nam Palace" Quick as a flash my mate replied "Left at the airport, sir" Said American left happily. Mate then explained "They're 'Europe, seven capitals in seven days', they're forever turning over two pages at once and not knowing where they are"
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064471/

Not a "Python " in sight. It's Ian McShane.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:It's that time of year for hearing about peoples' holidays!

Am I alone in feeling irritated by " Yes! We did Rome... did Naples... did Salerno on our way to Sicily!"?
It annoys me.
Sure; tell them that you don't understand mericun (or even merkin* if you want to be rude). To "do" a place was originally an American expression and has no place in the Queen's English.

* Newsgroup slang for an American; correctly it is an object which is of no use and is purely decorative - a specific type of toupee :lol: :lol: :lol:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I worked with someone who claimed to have "done"INDIA in 2 weeks.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

It is not only Americans ------
When I lived in S. Africa, peoplr intending a visit to Engand, would happily plan to "Do" London in a day and then Stratford - 0n- Avon, the next, followed by Lands End and "Yorkshire" before heading for "Scotland".

Britain looks very small, in an Atlas, and some were amazed that I lived in one village, and worked in another 3 miles away ----- "Where do they put all the people ? "
It was common to drive 100 miles up the Coast and back, in a day ----- for a picnic !!

The Boer Farmer's boast, was that he couldn't see the smoke from another man's chimney ! :lol:
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Oh dear; I remember Armand and Michaela; does that mean I am in my dotage?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi

No doubt Britain does look awfully small on an atlas page, but Germany isn't so much bigger, and I used to struggle with my German friends, who had no concept of Yorkshire.

Only London and Scotland.

I used to tell them I was about halfway between these two, and they went away happy!

Liz
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

People having no concept of Torkshire ?????

It's a good job TBA can't acess this Forum. :axe:

I have always said that Yorkshire is very Patriotic ------
On 3rd September 1939, when Britain declared War ----

Yorkshire came in ON THE SAME DAY !
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

sejintenej wrote:

It annoys me.
Sure; tell them that you don't understand mericun (or even merkin* if you want to be rude). To "do" a place was originally an American expression and has no place in the Queen's English.

* Newsgroup slang for an American; correctly it is an object which is of no use and is purely decorative - a specific type of toupee :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's a jolly good thing then that we are all so perfect is it not? Oh how the world benefits each year from those millions of beautifully behaved British tourists taking their fill of the local culture, treating other countries with respect, enjoying their cuisine and imbibing responsibly whilst speaking fluently the language of the host nation. Is it from this lofty position that we can collectively look down upon the boorish and crass Americans who may not always know where they at but at least seem to like being there!

I have long noticed a distinct anti-American flavour (flavor?) to some of the posts on this forum and I really don't understand it. On the whole I have liked and got on well with the Americans with whom I have lived and worked. I suspect that there are relatively few places around the world where the average Brit is more welcome that his American counterpart.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Not from me I hope, I loved our 4 years there in the North-East.. Not sure I would have enjoyed the Mid-West so much.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I would merely give two examples of things which encourage an anti-American flavor (!) to some current thinking ----
During the BP (Wrongly described as BRITISH Petroleum) crisis, one Senator said that "You can never trust anyone with an English Accent"
Since I believe that I fall into that category, I felt like challenging him to an old -fashioned Duel --- 3 rounds, under Queensberry Rules, when I would have managed to alter his appearance-- if not his views. since I am 82 , he could well, on his refusal, be accused of Cowardice.
Regrettably I remembered that the Challenged has the choice of Weapons --- in the US this would possibly be Machine guns at a Mile !

Secondly --- two Senators are Infuriated, that they cannot FORCE an ex- Secretary of State of Great Britain to appear before them for questioning, also to wit, the same for a Minister of the Scottish Patliament.

Who the Hell do they think they are ???
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I would merely give two examples of things which encourage an anti-American flavor (!) to some current thinking ----
During the BP (Wrongly described as BRITISH Petroleum) crisis, one Senator said that "You can never trust anyone with an English Accent"
Since I believe that I fall into that category, I felt like challenging him to an old -fashioned Duel --- 3 rounds, under Queensberry Rules, when I would have managed to alter his appearance-- if not his views. since I am 82 , he could well, on his refusal, be accused of Cowardice.
Regrettably I remembered that the Challenged has the choice of Weapons --- in the US this would possibly be Machine guns at a Mile !

Secondly --- two Senators are Infuriated, that they cannot FORCE an ex- Secretary of State of Great Britain to appear before them for questioning, also to wit, the same for a Minister of the Scottish Patliament.

Who the Hell do they think they are ???
God?

There is a treaty under which anyone to be charged or questioned in the other country in respect of any crime WILL be extradited. You may recall that three company directors were so extradited and, because they didn't have any money to pay lawyers were semi-automatically found guilty. OTOH the USA has categorically refused to extradite for questioning two airmen who shot down a plane carrying UN and British observers; they went on to refuse to allow UK authorities to question the men in the USA.. So far as I am aware they have never extradited anyone under that agreement.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Well, our glorious leader Dave has told them (and us) that GB is the "junior partner" - and rewrote 1940 history in the process!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

There IS a Treaty, under which accused persons are extradited to the country, in which the, alleged, crime was committed.

This does NOT apply to Americam Forces --- Male or Female

They always have to be returned to the USA to stand Trial
This is presumeably to ensure a "Fairer" Trial.

NOW --- let us consider the 15 year old, who is alleged to have thrown a Grenade at a US Soldier.

He is now 23 -- having been held, without a Hearing for EIGHT YEARS in Guatanamo Bay holding camp

He is now to be tried --- by an American Court ?--- NO, not on your Nellie !

He is to be tried by a "Military Tribunal" in Guatanamo Bay, who are to admit, as evidence, a "Confession" obtained -- it is said -- under Torture and threat of Rape ! ---------- In a US Court this could be properly challenged.

SO Guatanamo Bay, seems a "More convenient" location !

As an afterthought ----- what If the IraQ Inquiry had demanded Evidence from Ex-President George W ------- :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The Yanks are very clever at getting round certain delicate matters.

Take the execution of Saddam Hussein for instance.

Captured by the Americans........

Given a medical examination by the Americans.............

Interrogated by the Americans......

Handed over to the Iraqi Government (?)........

Tried by the Iraqi Government (?).........

Hanged (hung, in actual fact) by the Iraqi Government (?)

All rather convenient, neat and tidy, don't you think ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.