Interesting or funny links

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: Interesting or funny links

Post by jhopgood »

Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Going to Southwater Junior School would suggest he's probably the son of a member of staff.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Not necessarily, he looks quite young, and if he has been doing Karate for years he probably just goes to the closest place with a good club. There are also different branches of karate and if CH has a karate club it may not be the same type. My daughter does Tae Kwon Do and there are (at least) two types of that and our nearest club is the type she doesn't do so she has to go further afield. Even at Hertford in the Dark Ages, if someone showed an aptitude for something not taught at CH they would go somewhere else. MKM and others went to Haileybury for computer classes.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

But he is only 8, so is surely not a pupil at CH.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

ahh, I missed that bit. Foot in mouth job that.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

For those of my generation -or older.

The government has a web page for ideas to reduce public expense. The newspapers have had a field day (now't to do with Lee Enfield 303s) but here is one which almost makes sense for pensioners :?

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.go ... s-vs.-oaps

The site has any number of ideas which would be appropriate for this thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Made me giggle. Worth a look through.

http://newsarse.com/
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I have just sat through ---- although falling off the chair --- two episodes of "The Magic of Tommy Cooper"
That man was a Genius, his little one- liner interjections, --- such as (to the Gallery ) "I wish I was up there, watching this !"
All the tricks seemed to be going wrong, and then became even better than the original.
My personal favourite was him standing in a robe, in front of a screen, and producing things like step ladders from under the robe ---- he then bent down to push back the head of the man supplying the articles from behind the screen !!

He died --- as he would probably have wished --- on stage. a great loss to simple, clean Humour with a capital HUH !
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/featu ... ers-201011

Not the first place you would expect to find them.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

.......... I wonder if anyone else thought 'ballroom' when they should have thought 'sitting room'!?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fjgrogan wrote:.......... I wonder if anyone else thought 'ballroom' when they should have thought 'sitting room'!?
Cue the old 'Ballroom' joke ???? :oops:
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

That's great - now can anyone suggest how I can print it out so that it all fits on one page?

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

It is just as well that there is no image available; can you imagine how they could have mangled that?! Surely this has been translated by a computer with an ignorant programmer? It might be fun some time to sit down and try to work out what it really means ............. but, maybe not!

loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Fjgrogan wrote:It is just as well that there is no image available; can you imagine how they could have mangled that?! Surely this has been translated by a computer with an ignorant programmer? It might be fun some time to sit down and try to work out what it really means ............. but, maybe not!
Try:

An assistant archivist at the National Portrait Gallery was conducting research on the museum's founder when he made an astonishing discovery--relics from the tomb of medieval British King Richard II sitting, unbeknownst to the world, in a cigarette box.

The artifacts were uncovered by Krzysztof Adamiec, who had been going through the diaries and notebooks of National Portrait Gallery founder Sir George Scharf. Adamiec was cataloging Scharf's papers when he discovered the box, which was dated August 31, 1871 and contained wood, leather and fabric fragments from Richard's tomb, as well as sketches of his skull and bones.

According to Reuters, records showed that, on the date in question, Scharf, who died in 1895, was on hand at an opening of the royal graves at England's Westminster Abby.

Furthermore, the news agency says that a piece of leather found in the cigarette box corresponded to a sketch of a glove that was contained within the king's coffin. The wood, according to Guardian Arts Correspondent Mark Brown, is likely to have come from the coffin itself.

Adamiec told Brown that the discovery was "very surprising." He said that the container which housed the relics "just looked like a simple, empty box of cigarettes… but when I opened it up there were strips of leather and pieces of wood. It was very exciting for me--it's one of the biggest pleasures of this job to literally feel that you are touching history."

Furthermore, as Adamiec told The Telegraph, the find "reveals the hidden potential of Scharf’s papers," which include more than 200 notebooks and sketchbooks from the museum's first 38 years of existence. "Scharf meticulously recorded almost everything he saw and experienced. In reading his papers, one is able to reconstruct in minute detail 'a day in the life of a Victorian gentleman.'"

The Telegraph also reports that Scharf attended exhumations of Edward VI, Henry VII, James I and Elizabeth of York, and that his sketches of Richard II "are so faithfully drawn that archivists believe they could be used to reconstruct the king’s appearance."

Classic example of something written in one language, translated in to another by compter and then back again I suspect.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Someone dug up Edward VI, our Founder?!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966