Water conservation....an idea which holds water?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

Tim_MaA_MidB wrote:I think you may be in the minority, when you have a 6 inch deep bath.
Ah yes but you're forgetting, um, that bloke who I forget. You know, the eureka geezer. It's only 6 inches before I get in...
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Well, I guess it does depend on size of body relative to volume of bath. I am small and have a big bath, but only have a luxury wallow about once a month. The rest of the time it is showers. Maybe I'll stick the plug in next time I shower.

Um, speaking of pee.... any truth in the rumour that peeing on your feet prevents footrot?!!
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

Tim_MaA_MidB wrote:Well, I guess it does depend on size of body relative to volume of bath. I am small and have a big bath, but only have a luxury wallow about once a month. The rest of the time it is showers. Maybe I'll stick the plug in next time I shower.

Um, speaking of pee.... any truth in the rumour that peeing on your feet prevents footrot?!!
My bath is small...

Never had footrot and never peed on my feet. Can't help you there.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:
Tim_MaA_MidB wrote:Well, I guess it does depend on size of body relative to volume of bath. I am small and have a big bath, but only have a luxury wallow about once a month. The rest of the time it is showers. Maybe I'll stick the plug in next time I shower.

My bath is small...

Never had footrot and never peed on my feet. Can't help you there.
Solution: Get rid of the toilet, wee in the bath to prevent footrot and help jelly fish stings (bung in your laundry while you're at it to get it "deep down clean") and then chuck it out the window to fertilise the garden and bingo, you've got no friends so you don't need to bathe anyway, thus saving the nation from drought and pestilence (see footrot) in one fell swoop. Do I get a prize?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

J.R. wrote:
Jude wrote:ok - enough about jelly fish please - back to water saving techniques etc.. we are on a boat in water from tomorrow, and I don;t want to have to ask DBTS to pee on me!

:oops: :oops: :roll: :shock:
OH, come on Jude ! Be Honest !

Water, water everywhere, and not a drop.....

......bobbing around on the briny; Out of sight of everyone.

We do understand, you know !
You could set yourself up with a nice little earner there. People pay a fortune for that sort of 'activity'...
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

A hippo cqn be found here for just £1.20

http://www.ecotopia.co.uk/product_info. ... ater-saver

To get a water meter just log on to your local water company and ask for one. It may take a while but you should get one. It is policy to put them in place when there is a change of ownership of a property and if it is a rental. If you are renting it may be good PR to ask your landlord although they cannot stop you, or the water company.

the water company can just put one in without any consultation.

If they do put one in keep an eye on it yourself as in the 4 months I have been a lettings manager we have had two which have leaked and the poor tenants have had ENORMOUS water bills.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Hi Everyone

Only discovered the site yesterday, and have been skim reading posts when I should be doing something quite different, so please forgive me if I write of things that others already have ........

Right, well, having lived in the driest state in the driest continent in the world for 19 years I know a bit about conserving water. Two of those 19 years were spent living on a property where we had only rainwater (collected in 3 x 5,000 gallon tanks), and since we experience a mediterranean climate (OK gals, repeat after me: warm, wet, westerly winds in winter and hot, dry sunny summers) this means that the tanks overflow for several weeks in winter and run dry (often mid hair wash) in summer.

So, water saving techniques: do not attempt to grow an english country garden: think hills of Provence and streets of Athens. OK, everything will die off in winter, so move to South Australia?

Divert your grey water (from laundry and bathroom, but not the loo: this is black water, as other sailors on the site will know) to the garden. If you are unfortunate enough to live within a Council which bans you from doing this (as ours does) you risk a fine, the cost of which may be greater than your waterbill would have been if you had acted legally.

Install a composting toilet. You may, once again, have problems getting this past Council, and it definitely helps if your house is built on a hill, with the loo at the highest point of the house.

Hmm, what else? We all have dual-flush cisterns, but half-flush doesn't have enough ooopmh to shift average offerings, so the whole water saving bit goes out the window: half-flush, wait for cistern to fill, resort to whole flush.

Who was it who flooded the bathroom by putting a brick in the cistern? You need to consider the relative sizes of the brick and cistern and size brick (part of brick) accordingly.

I'm trying to remember what my son (lives on the Gold Coast and bodyboards every day) puts onto jellyfish stings - is it vinegar for jellyfish and bicarb for wasp stings, or the other way around? I really should get this right as he was stung last year while I was visiting (through his wet suit I might add - things here really are bigger and scarier than elsewhere), but I tend to focus my fear on the sharks.

However, I digress. Apologies.

Caroline
hoob
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by hoob »

Jude wrote:Cor blimey what a lot of drivel from you all -

1. 2. 3. CLAY -4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14.15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20.
I think that covers what we do here..... am going to bed now - as I'm tired, and there is no need for using lights so less electricity!!!

:idea: :idea:
........but trust me on the sunscreen..... :shock:
Mike
Mab/MaA 1981 - 1988
Why is there so much month left at the end of my money?
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

am back from the sea, no stings from jelly fish, although we saw some. Went swimming with Basking sharks - only 35ft long! (thank goodness they are not meat eaters!!)

As for water saving - I think DBTS will agree that even though there were 3 girls and him on the boat, we didn't use a huge amount of water - none of us had showers - just used a plastic cup to wash hair and stand up wash - have to admit to having probably the longest shower ever on return last night - daughter too was in there for a LONG time! we are still finding our land legs - I've forgetten where I put them, so are still swaying a bit - everyone just thinks we are drunk! Had 2 additional days topping up tans (under factor 30 every hour!!) and belly boarding at Perranporth beach - no jelly fish there or sharks, just bloddy high waves! Had the longest lie in for yonks, but am the colour of a caramel, no burnt skin, but temps here in Glos are set for 33C - ugh! I'd rather be sailing! last night lowest temp was 26C -

Back to water saving now - although daughters shower looks like a very deep bathe! it seems we had a fair amount of rain as well as heat here as everything has taken off and is flowering like mad (especially the daisies, clover, dandylions etc in the lawn!)

JR - to answer your question - no, I would rather pee in a cup and use my own thanks - nothing against DBTS - but it's a bit hard with younger females to ask DBTS to pee on you - however, it was not needed, and we are happy bunnies!!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Glad you had a good time. Jealous as hell to read about swimming with basking sharks.

This weather is a nice warm up for Brazil.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Tim_MaA_MidB wrote:This weather is a nice warm up for Brazil.
When do you actually depart these shores? It is this month according to your name thingy. (Just curiosity, not wishing to get rid of you Tim, you understand!!!)
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Weds 5th.

But I can still get online when I'm there so I will doubtless bore you all to death with Brazilian tales :)
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Tim_MaA_MidB wrote:Weds 5th.

But I can still get online when I'm there so I will doubtless bore you all to death with Brazilian tales :)
I was offered a brazilian tail the other day - naturally, I refused it.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think that belongs on another thread. (Jude didn't mention it)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

englishangel wrote:I think that belongs on another thread. (Jude didn't mention it)
too right - we were conserving water -
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach