Current reading matter

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

loringa
Deputy Grecian

Re: Current reading matter

Post by loringa »

I have just purchased 'Vespasian Tribune of Rome' by Rob Fabbri (CH 70s I think) as advertised in the CH Newsletter. £3.99 including postage from Amazon. Hopefully I'll find the time to read it soon as it looks to be an enjoyable read.
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

I read "3 cups of tea" recently too, and thought Greg Morenson was great raising such enormous amounts of money for the building of the schools. But I've now heard that in America he is now accused of spending the enormous amounts of money that he raised for those

I read "3 cups of tea" recently too and admired Greg Morenson and his raising of such enormous amounts of money for the schools. But I've now heard that in America he's been accused of pocketing some of the money he raised. Horrific, when you felt as a reader that you knew and understood him...
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

OOPS!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I'm enjoying (on my Kindle....) Jeanette Winterson's 'Why be happy when you can be normal' - featured on BBC Radio 4 last week. Excellent.....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I'm enjoying (on my Kindle....) Jeanette Winterson's 'Why be happy when you can be normal' - featured on BBC Radio 4 last week. Excellent.....
I'm just longing to read this! I identified so deeply with JW as I read OANTOF.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

I can completely recommend "Housekeeping" by Marilynne Robinson. Published by Faber. It is brilliant.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

by loringa » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:33 pm

I have just purchased 'Vespasian Tribune of Rome' by Rob Fabbri (CH 70s I think) as advertised in the CH Newsletter. £3.99 including postage from Amazon. Hopefully I'll find the time to read it soon as it looks to be an enjoyable read.
I've got this on my 'to read' list as well. To be honest it's not really my usual type of bedside reading, but I happen know the author's sister and she won't rest until she's persuaded all her friends to buy a copy! (I'm sure she'll be pleased to hear there's been another plug on this Forum!)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I hope that it is available on Kindle....
Kerren Simmonds
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

'What A Carve Up !'

Jonathan Coe.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

ailurophile wrote:
by loringa » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:33 pm

I've got this on my 'to read' list as well. To be honest it's not really my usual type of bedside reading, but I happen know the author's sister and she won't rest until she's persuaded all her friends to buy a copy! (I'm sure she'll be pleased to hear there's been another plug on this Forum!)
Well, I've now finished the book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is broadly historically based but Rob admits to having taken quite a lot of liberties with Vespasian's life and I'd recommend it to anyone with any sort of interest in this period or who enjoys a good adventure story. I thought it was well written and pretty well edited; I only found one discrepancy. I look forward to the sequel: Vespasian, Rome's Executioner (due next year).

In the author's note he credits 'Pinky' Palmer, Andrew Husband and Duncan Noel-Paton whilst giving CH a mention.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

My favourite books recently, which I have read on my Kindle and which I have bought in hard copy as Christmas presents for others include :
Claire Tomalin : Dickens, A Life
Jeanette Winterson: Why be Happy if you can be Normal
Edmund de Waal : The Hare with Amber Eyes
Kerren Simmonds
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

kerrensimmonds wrote:My favourite books recently, which I have read on my Kindle and which I have bought in hard copy as Christmas presents for others include :
Claire Tomalin : Dickens, A Life
Jeanette Winterson: Why be Happy if you can be Normal
Edmund de Waal : The Hare with Amber Eyes
Sounds like someone else enjoys the books on Radio 4 and then goes on to read them :)
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

:D :D :D
Now that I am 'retired', I LOVE lying in bed and listening to Radio 4.....I have learned so much already......
Kerren Simmonds
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I'd love to read that , given that 'Honest to God' was a significant influence when I was studying Theology. Please, what is the name of his autobigraphy and I will try to get it from my Amazon account....
Kerren Simmonds
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I'd love to read that , given that 'Honest to God' was a significant influence when I was studying Theology. Please, what is the name of his autobigraphy and I will try to get it from my Amazon account....

The Calling of a Cuckoo (dosen' look as if you can get it for your kindle).