Current reading matter

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

In fact I am going to use it now, gotta get the vomit off my jeans somehow (not my vomit, oh the joys of being a student)!!
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Have finished HP no 6 and am now desolate, waiting for the next one. I have really enjoyed them, admittedly much to my surprise. Daughter number 1 has persuaded me to start on the Phillip Pullman trilogy, so am now one third of the way through 'The Northern Lights'. And for some light relief (!), have got Alison Weir's 'The Princes in the Tower' out of the library. The lady in the library informed me that her grandfather and his brother posed as the two princes for the famous painting by Millais.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I tried reading Philip Pullman but it didn't do anything for me.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Yes, I'm waiting for it to 'get going', but will persist with it for daughter's sake. She thought it was fantastic.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

Oh, Cath, do persist with the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. It does indeed get quite compelling a little way into the first book. I read the first one on the way to New Zealand, the second one on the way round, and had to buy the third one in the airport for the flights back! Very good indeed!

Am currently actively reading a collection of short stories, some Middle English verse romances as well as various design sites and blogs. I'm also reading—by osmosis—the next issue of The Review of the Pre-Raphaelite Society (I lay it out and you'd be amazed at what sticks in your mind!).
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

FrogBoxed wrote:Oh, Cath, do persist with the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. It does indeed get quite compelling a little way into the first book. I read the first one on the way to New Zealand, the second one on the way round, and had to buy the third one in the airport for the flights back! Very good indeed!

Am currently actively reading a collection of short stories, some Middle English verse romances as well as various design sites and blogs. I'm also reading—by osmosis—the next issue of The Review of the Pre-Raphaelite Society (I lay it out and you'd be amazed at what sticks in your mind!).
I have read it all and I did not like it any of it.

We don't all like the same stuff.

I liked 'The Curious Incident of the dog in the Night-time' my daughter didn't like it at all but we had some good discussions about it. She also got 'in' with her English mistress as they had it as a Book Cub book at school and the mistress didn't like it.

One set of tales we like in this house, written for teenagers/young adults is 'Tales of the Otori' by Lian Hearn. The first three books are 'Across the Nightingale Floor', 'Grass for his Pillow' and 'Brilliance of the Moon'.

Set in a place similar to Mediaeval Japan they trace a young warrior, Takeo, who was displaced at an early age, it turns out he has unusual powers.

These books have gripped me, militaristic son (20) and the twins. Apparently Universal have the film rights.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Has anyone or their children read any books by Maeve Friel, a Witch in Training Series?
She is a neighbour here in the village, but I have never read anything as they appear to be for the younger generation.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Currently reading Ken Follett's " Hornet Flight" at lunchtime and Bill the Bard's " Richard III" in bed .... sexy beast, definitely unappreciated by history ! ( but then I always did have a penchant for the villain of the piece...)
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Euterpe13 wrote:Currently reading Ken Follett's " Hornet Flight" at lunchtime and Bill the Bard's " Richard III" in bed .... sexy beast, definitely unappreciated by history ! ( but then I always did have a penchant for the villain of the piece...)
No villain- have you read Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey? Poor Richard was a lovely fella, but I don't think I would have argued the point with Miss Page at Hertford.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

"A short history of tractors in Ukranian" by Marina Lewycka.
Ignore the title, if you have elderly relatives it will make you laugh and it will make you cry.
Brilliant read.
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

englishangel wrote:
FrogBoxed wrote:'His Dark Materials' trilogy.
I have read it all and I did not like it any of it. We don't all like the same stuff.

I liked 'The Curious Incident of the dog in the Night-time' my daughter didn't like it at all
I liked that, too and I enjoyed 'The Life of Pi', but found I couldn't discuss it with people who hadn't finished it for fear of dropping a "spoiler" into the discussion. Very frustrating.

'Cloud Atlas' is another cracking read (if you like sci fi)!
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Thanks for that, I will look out for it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have never heard of it so I checked it on Amazon.

It is on offer with 'The Time-Traveller's wife' which I have read.

A bit difficult to follow but well worth persevering. Daughter thought so too.
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Anyone here read the five people you meet in heaven, although not normally my sort of thing I read it because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, I thought it an extremely interesting view on life after death, and I have caught myself wondering what five people I might meet in heaven.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I don't think I am going there.