Saluting

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

East Gun Copse
2nd Former

Saluting

Post by East Gun Copse »

I seem to remember (how many comments start that way) that in the fifties it was required that if we met a master when out in Horsham or elsewhere we should salute him. The same went for lady teachers as they were honary men and we always called them sir. The idea was that because we had no cap to raise this was a way of acknowledging them. It was generally considered an embarassment to both pupil & teacher and I wondered how long it lasted. :?:

It was however different when in corp uniform. I once omitted to salute Bill Kirby while I was in uniform but he was not. When I pleaded that he was not in uniform he told me in no uncertain terms that I should salute him even if he was in the bath. Ever after that I could not get that image of him in the bath out of my mind. :!:
Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: Saluting

Post by Vonny »

East Gun Copse wrote:The same went for lady teachers as they were honary men and we always called them sir.
:shock: Honary men?! :shock: :shock:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I thought you saluted the monarch's commission not the person. And also if not wearing your own cap/badge you do not salute.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
efsis
3rd Former

Post by efsis »

The only times I went into Horsham was to buy Rizlas and Old Holborn..the last person I wanted to see was a teacher. as for saluting them by the time you got your hand out of your britches and unwound your shirt and then pulled same hand through your coat the teacher was long gone.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

The only saluting we ever did was in the C.C.F.

This is where we learned that sailors do it differently.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:The only saluting we ever did was in the C.C.F.

Here we go again !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

J.R. wrote:

Here we go again !!
Like I said, doesn't matter what the initial thread-line is on this Forum, we eventually end up at schoolboy smut.... and Idon't think it's so much british humour as endemic public school...
My daughter also has a filthy mind, bless her !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Euterpe13 wrote:
J.R. wrote:

Here we go again !!
Like I said, doesn't matter what the initial thread-line is on this Forum, we eventually end up at schoolboy smut.... and Idon't think it's so much british humour as endemic public school...
You've brought her up correctly, then! :lol:

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:
J.R. wrote: Here we go again !!
You've brought her up correctly, then! :lol:
yes, although the poor dear was sadly handicapped by going to KES rather than CH - but I made up for the lack during the holidays...

She even managed to break a bloke's nose in a club in the Pool one night ... could she perhaps be an Honorary OB ??'
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Euterpe13 wrote: ... could she perhaps be an Honorary OB ??'
Naughty!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote: ... could she perhaps be an Honorary OB ??'
Naughty!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
see that you are well-awake over there :lol:
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
JBH
2nd Former

Post by JBH »

My mother 'Ma Massen' loved being called Sir. I can't remember her being saluted in the school grounds, perhaps this was only outside the "ring fence".
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re:

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:I thought you saluted the monarch's commission not the person. And also if not wearing your own cap/badge you do not salute.
You posted this a very long time ago but you are referring to decades ago when, in mufti, males always wore some form of headcovering outdoors. When meeting or passing females, especially those over I guess 21, you always raised your hat. In some cases, a beret for example, it was sufficient to raise one side an inch. I suppose the CH boy's salute to an adult was a modernisation of that.

Of course in them thar days males never wore headcoverings indoors unless religion demanded it; OK for bishops and cardinals and those of the Jewish faith. Not sure about the armed forces - I don't think they wore hats indoors unless they are American

*Of course in these days politeness, good manners and breeding is considered offensive.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

JBH wrote:My mother 'Ma Massen' loved being called Sir. I can't remember her being saluted in the school grounds, perhaps this was only outside the "ring fence".
Hello Juliet. I once had breakfast with you (or to put it more discreetly, your parents, and you were there too) and you put me in a quandary by taking about 5 cornflakes, and making me wonder if it was polite for me to take more.

I don't remember ever saluting your mother or any other member of staff, and I certainly didn't call her 'sir' (although she never taught me). But I didn't call Nell Todd, Rhona Hurst or Olive Peto 'sir' either. I always thought this was a myth.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

michael scuffil wrote:
JBH wrote: I don't remember ever saluting your mother or any other member of staff, and I certainly didn't call her 'sir' (although she never taught me). But I didn't call Nell Todd, Rhona Hurst or Olive Peto 'sir' either. I always thought this was a myth.
I certainly would have had a problem in referring to a female as "Sir" and would probably have failed utterly; madam or ma'am would have been it. Indeed I woult have (and do still) consider it an improper instruction; imagine a host / horde / whatever plural of OBs greeting some unfortunate woman in the street referring to her as sir out of habit!

I was never taught by Ma Massen but ISTR some female did say that to avoid complications she would accept "Sir" but I can't remember her being taken up on it. Matron was always "ma'am" and the maids "miss"
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!