House numbers

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Prep B - 30

Coleridge B - 4

(I've just had to edit this. I got 'em round the wrong way !)
Last edited by J.R. on Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
midget
Button Grecian

House numbers

Post by midget »

1-3 then 3-31
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Prep B 43
Mid A 28 (House captain Morrison my distinguished predecessor)

Also occasionally used on lottery
Last edited by DavebytheSea on Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Prep A 51
Col A 9

I also had a few items until perhaps last year - 'kerchiefs, rugby socks
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:and remember that , at Hertford anyway, we didn't have any non-CH issue clothes, or name-tapes - so numbers were a lot quicker to china-ink onto a tape ( I've just rembered that I was 5:25 before 2.24 ...)
B.
Hockey boots/tennis shoes and tennis racquets.
meera
2nd Former

Post by meera »

leigh hunt a 29...... always and forever!!
xx Meezie xx
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

NUMBERS

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

The other thing about numbers is Army numbers - ask anyone who did National Service (between 1947 and 1962) and I guarantee that they will remember their number.
Signed: 23462195 (oh yes and Lamb B 13!)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: NUMBERS

Post by englishangel »

petard249 wrote:The other thing about numbers is Army numbers - ask anyone who did National Service (between 1947 and 1962) and I guarantee that they will remember their number.
Signed: 23462195 (oh yes and Lamb B 13!)
My Dad (now 80) still knows his.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

at uni i'm P04275075..
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Service No. was V952000P
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I remember my birth certificate number DWSI 186 because it was my wartime identity card number.

(BTW - I cannot legally get a copy of my birth certificate (the original is impounded by the courts) without all sorts of complicated rigmarole. I got one anyway without telling them!)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

sejintenej wrote:(BTW - I cannot legally get a copy of my birth certificate (the original is impounded by the courts) without all sorts of complicated rigmarole. I got one anyway without telling them!)
bizarre......dare one ask why?
BaB, ColB 1973-80
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

Lamb B 35
Mid A 27
Thorn B 29

Then finally at grecians west i got Thorn B 29 with a greeny blue line underneath.....good eh.

I think my towels still have the name tags on, and at uni for exams i have become 500060126 not as personal i feel
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

sport! wrote:
sejintenej wrote:(BTW - I cannot legally get a copy of my birth certificate (the original is impounded by the courts) without all sorts of complicated rigmarole. I got one anyway without telling them!)
bizarre......dare one ask why?
Quite simple really; I was adopted, once just before I went to CH and then again just before A levels. (That does mean that I can perfectly reasonably use three separate names if I want to confuse the issue). A boy in Col A dropped his surname whilst I was there; he had had 3 forenames, the third also being a comon surname; I didn't change mine.

Until some years ago an adopted person was not allowed to obtain any info about his/her original family.
Although that has been relaxed the applicant still has to undergo questioning and counselling before the authorities will consider releasing info.
In fact I have always had full knowledge about my blood parents; they and now all adopters are dead but I have contact with my blood cousin. That allowed my to go to St Catherine's House and order a copy of my original birth certificate; they failed to pick up that that person had been adopted and that the requisite procedures had not been complied with.

Now the gross stupidity of UK bureaucracy:
I went for a part time job helping kids and Essex County Council requires that we provide 3 types of ID, one being a passport, EU Identity Card, original Birth Certificate issued within 12 months of birth ...... and two from that or another list like the banks demand.

I had a passport but for the other docs they refused to accept an Adoption Certificate issued a month after the (first) court order but they were quite happy to accept a bank statement writen in French by a French branch of a French bank.

:vom:
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

dont start on the red tape - I finally got my birth certificate whilst at CH as I was so tall no one would give me a junior/child train ticket, so I had to carry my birth cert with me - even then I always had to haggle..

I know my NI number off pat - used to know all my car's regestrations - byt have slowly forgotten them - except this one I have now!

I was a ward of court until I was 21 - which really can piss on your parade - I had great difficulty getting a library card! The Ward of Court business was due to my blood mother putting me in and taking me out of care on a sort of weekly basis - by the time I was 18 months apparently I had been with so many foster parents the courts interjected - it didn't however stop my blood father taking me away from my foster parents who had completed 2 out 3 court requirements when my father got a bent solicitor to stop them from adopting me - I wouldn't have gone to CH then though - is that a pro or a con?????

5.38 (I was a new number!!!)
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach