Wierd Hobbies

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Before my time, I'm afraid. Wasn't H.S. Housemaster of Middleton A or B ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Re:

Post by 5h17shoveller »

sport! wrote:Don't know whether this counts......maybe need a thread on the generally wierd........

anyway, who recalls a couple of blokes who were in Lamb A, I believe in the mid 70s, one of whom had blonde hair, a limp and tended to wear army gear as much as possible, including some sort of scarf........anyway, their weird hobby, or was it just a myth? was going out on Big/Little Side after dark and hurling a sheath knife randomly up in the air and ........ :shock:

do not try this at home children
Yes i can confirm with Andy S that it was Jeremy Shields , I was in the same house as him in Lamb B and he certainly kept himself to himself, I never knew why he limped and I feel he may have stayed on an extra year because of the injury may have set him back a year. However that's more guesswork than anthing else . He was only friendly with Steve Barrett , they were always disappearing to the usual smoking haunts. The scarf was great wasn't it !

I MUST FIND THAT HOUSE PHOTO HE WAS ON :)
Barnes A 45/ Lamb B 9 71-77
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re:

Post by michael scuffil »

J.R. wrote:Before my time, I'm afraid. Wasn't H.S. Housemaster of Middleton A or B ?
After your time, John. Sarah Spurrier was born about 1961, I think. You weren't that much of a cradle snatcher?!

HS was housemaster of MidB, and taught history lazily. His classroom (uniquely) had a large wall-clock, and all-wooden desks. He was also Capt. Spurrier, company commander of C Coy (where the rookies were).
Th.B. 27 1955-63
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Re:

Post by AndrewH »

5h17shoveller wrote:
sport! wrote:Don't know whether this counts......maybe need a thread on the generally wierd........

anyway, who recalls a couple of blokes who were in Lamb A, I believe in the mid 70s, one of whom had blonde hair, a limp and tended to wear army gear as much as possible, including some sort of scarf........anyway, their weird hobby, or was it just a myth? was going out on Big/Little Side after dark and hurling a sheath knife randomly up in the air and ........ :shock:

do not try this at home children
Yes i can confirm with Andy S that it was Jeremy Shields , I was in the same house as him in Lamb B and he certainly kept himself to himself, I never knew why he limped and I feel he may have stayed on an extra year because of the injury may have set him back a year. However that's more guesswork than anthing else . He was only friendly with Steve Barrett , they were always disappearing to the usual smoking haunts. The scarf was great wasn't it !

I MUST FIND THAT HOUSE PHOTO HE WAS ON :)
He was in a glider crash (I think that his instructor was killed) and missed about a year.
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Re: Wierd Hobbies

Post by 5h17shoveller »

photgraph of Jeremy Shields now added to " LAMB PHOTOGRAPHS " so take a look .Sorry no sign of the scarf.
:wink:
Barnes A 45/ Lamb B 9 71-77