Punishment Record - How Bad Were You?

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: Punishment Record - How Bad Were You?

Post by Great Plum »

Emma Jane wrote:
sport! wrote:OK, I was a goody-goody.......can you remember how many official punishments you incurred......

Suggested Scale 0, 1-5, 6-20, 20+

Me....

CANED = 1-5
CRACKED = 0
DETENTION = 1-5

own up!........
One detention, a few dress parades, and red card on my 3rd form :D
What did you get the red card for? I can't remember...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

huntertitus wrote:My silliest punishment from P.P. de W. "Potty" Burr for being late to Physics was a 200 word essay on "Punctuality and Punctiliousness"
Burr! This bloke once sent a couple of us out of the classroom to hang our coats up as we were going to do some sort of experiment.

Upon re-entering the room, we were both given a double detention for 'being late'. A tad unreasonable, I thought (although I think I was thinking a few other choice phrases).

This caused me to raise the issue with my House Tutor - the only time I EVER felt moved to complain about a member of staff. I remember being told that I could "take the matter further" if I wished, but as Burr was leaving anyway there might not be much point, so I dropped it.

In wet weather he also used to referee House football matches from the warmth of his car. I'm sure he thought this was witty and 'amusing'. Those of us who were getting cold and wet didn't really share that view.

Others may feel otherwise (I know, for instance, that he was still involved with the Scouts well after he left C.H.), but he always struck me as a disagreeable bloke.

There! And I've got through all that without using any of the words which are coursing through my head.......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I do remember Mr Burr as I met him on my squits scout camp at Welford... the only real thing I remember was that he used to get irate if you called his canal longboat a 'barge'... :lol:
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Great Plum wrote:I do remember Mr Burr as I met him on my squits scout camp at Welford... the only real thing I remember was that he used to get irate if you called his canal longboat a 'barge'... :lol:
'Narrowboat', surely? :lol:

Longboats are for Vikings!

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Oops,

I meant narrow boat! :oops: :oops:
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Great Plum wrote:Oops,

I meant narrow boat! :oops: :oops:
:lol:

I don't mind! I'm sure Burr would, though!

Double DT for you, boy!

AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Does anyone else remember getting a DT on a Saturday when your parents were visiting. I remember my parents surprise, having travelled from London to visit, to be informed by me that I would have to come back for an hour at 5pm.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Richard Ruck wrote:
huntertitus wrote:My silliest punishment from P.P. de W. "Potty" Burr for being late to Physics was a 200 word essay on "Punctuality and Punctiliousness"
Burr! This bloke once sent a couple of us out of the classroom to hang our coats up as we were going to do some sort of experiment.

Upon re-entering the room, we were both given a double detention for 'being late'. A tad unreasonable, I thought (although I think I was thinking a few other choice phrases).

This caused me to raise the issue with my House Tutor - the only time I EVER felt moved to complain about a member of staff. I remember being told that I could "take the matter further" if I wished, but as Burr was leaving anyway there might not be much point, so I dropped it.

In wet weather he also used to referee House football matches from the warmth of his car. I'm sure he thought this was witty and 'amusing'. Those of us who were getting cold and wet didn't really share that view.

Others may feel otherwise (I know, for instance, that he was still involved with the Scouts well after he left C.H.), but he always struck me as a disagreeable bloke.

There! And I've got through all that without using any of the words which are coursing through my head.......
Lord you have a fab memory, Dick! - You are very accurate about p p de w - I think I posted on another thread how cruel he ALLEGEDLY was to little Julian Berkeley when JB made the mistake of singing (quietly, to himself) during Physics - what do you think the teacher did?

p.s. does using the word allegedly mean the censors don't remove the post?

I could go on to say my memory is hopeless and I am probably making it all up - hey PLUM - does that make it safe to go on?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

AKAP wrote:Does anyone else remember getting a DT on a Saturday when your parents were visiting. I remember my parents surprise, having travelled from London to visit, to be informed by me that I would have to come back for an hour at 5pm.
Not sure if that happened to us.

DTs were always on a Saturday evening (similar time to prep, I think).

Can't imagine that the masters who had to supervise were too chuffed about it. Perhaps they'd been naughty boys too.....!

AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

I always thought they did it for the pleasure of it.
I can think of one who seemed to take great pleasure in anything to do with punishments.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

huntertitus wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:

It normally saves you from an embarrassing appearance in the law courts, allegedly !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

huntertitus wrote: Lord you have a fab memory, Dick! - You are very accurate about p p de w - I think I posted on another thread how cruel he ALLEGEDLY was to little Julian Berkeley when JB made the mistake of singing (quietly, to himself) during Physics - what do you think the teacher did?

I could go on to say my memory is hopeless and I am probably making it all up - hey PLUM - does that make it safe to go on?
Gin! Preserves the brain (but makes it behave a little oddly at times). Don't worry, I'm only having a tinny now.

By the way, Plum isn't a moderator, just a 'Button Grecian' (well, the ONLY Button Grecian.........).

Whether you can post it or not depends on what Burr is alleged to have done.... :wink:

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

AKAP wrote:I always thought they did it for the pleasure of it.
I can think of one who seemed to take great pleasure in anything to do with punishments.
They get everywhere, don't they?

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Richard Ruck wrote:
huntertitus wrote: Lord you have a fab memory, Dick! - You are very accurate about p p de w - I think I posted on another thread how cruel he ALLEGEDLY was to little Julian Berkeley when JB made the mistake of singing (quietly, to himself) during Physics - what do you think the teacher did?

Gin! Preserves the brain (but makes it behave a little oddly at times). Don't worry, I'm only having a tinny now.

By the way, Plum isn't a moderator, just a 'Button Grecian' (well, the ONLY Button Grecian.........).

Whether you can post it or not depends on what Burr is alleged to have done.... :wink:
Sounds like a dare, Dick!

Wasn't there a 1950's Private Detective called Dick Dare?

I'm going off track, just for a change.

Time for the fist wee little drinky!
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

PPdeWBurr!!! what a blast from the past. Yup remember his minor eppie fits over his barge.

As for punishments - house drills were the worst in my opinion...