Punishment Record - How Bad Were You?

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:
huntertitus wrote:I once saw a tortoise who had fallen in love with a small football and tried to mount it but the ball kept rolling away so the poor tortoise just kept on walking along on his hind legs following the ball all over the garden

It was hilarious but a little tragic as we knew he would never get his way and he would not give up

It was a bit like an allegory of the human condition
Didn't Flanders and Swan have a song about a lovesick armadillo ton Salisbury Plain that fell in love with a tank?
I'm sure you're right, Dave. I seem to remember my Dad telling me about that song ! :lol: [/b]
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Surprise find!

Post by Angela Woodford »

Caroline!

Have braved cupboard under stairs and found box of slides taken by my father 1963 - 65 - pix of Richard Atkins and CH. Lying in the dark since then, they seem to be in good nick. He even took photos of the Needlework Exhibition, and DR West mingling away at Speech Day. I believe it's possible to convert old slides to a ?disk of some sort. You see, I'm not so good at technology! I will find out.

We drove past your home in New Park Road on Tuesday on a Jean Visit trip! There were the shops opposite! I remember on the way back form school, a bakers' shop there which sold hot peanuts out of a dispenser machine. They were so delicious. Nobody else remembers hot peanuts!

Lovely to talk to Alex on the phone the other day.

Love

Munch
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Surprise find!

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Hi Munch

I dug out some photos and scanned in the CH ones this morning. Will try to remember to bring in the Richard Atkins ones tomorrow, but it may not happen until after the weekend (a long one - yippeeeee).

I look forward to seeing the slides. At my last place of employment we had a scanner which would scan slides and negatives.

Oh, the photos to date are in Hertford Memories, pics from the 60s and 70s. Not wonderful quality - seriously dodgy viewfinder, or distracted photographer - but some faces are recognisable ;-).

Please watch out for a private message :-).

Love

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Re: Surprise find!

Post by huntertitus »

Angela Woodford wrote:Caroline!

Have braved cupboard under stairs and found box of slides taken by my father 1963 - 65 - pix of Richard Atkins and CH. Lying in the dark since then, they seem to be in good nick. He even took photos of the Needlework Exhibition, and DR West mingling away at Speech Day. I believe it's possible to convert old slides to a ?disk of some sort. You see, I'm not so good at technology! I will find out.

We drove past your home in New Park Road on Tuesday on a Jean Visit trip! There were the shops opposite! I remember on the way back form school, a bakers' shop there which sold hot peanuts out of a dispenser machine. They were so delicious. Nobody else remembers hot peanuts!

Lovely to talk to Alex on the phone the other day.

Love

Munch
There are scanners which can now convert slides and negatives to digital format which then can be sent to you on cd or emailed to you

I am getting one soon as funds allow - they are over £2000

If I had one I could do it for you but I'm sure Snappy Snaps or someone will do it for you and it shouldn't cost a fortune
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Slide Conversion

Very grateful for your advice here huntertitious, am going out tomorrow to town where there's a Snappy Snaps and will ask them! How kind of you.

I'm getting into my boots for work now Caroline (not a day for killer heels) but will look for your pix later! Peers out of window - v wet!

Love

Munch
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Re: Slide Conversion

Post by huntertitus »

Angela Woodford wrote:Very grateful for your advice here huntertitious, am going out tomorrow to town where there's a Snappy Snaps and will ask them! How kind of you.

I'm getting into my boots for work now Caroline (not a day for killer heels) but will look for your pix later! Peers out of window - v wet!

Love

Munch
Glad to have been of service, ma'am

Judging by the time of your post and the boots you are getting into for work, would I be guessing right that you are a farmer?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Boots on!

Huntertitus -

When I left CH I was deemed one of the hopeless career wise, so did what I knew, joined a uniformed female heirarchy and trained as a nurse!

At the beginning of this year, I realised that nursing is no longer what I could possibly cope with - "treat 'em and street 'em" etc, and I'm as soft as a Mc Flurry left out in a heatwave. I belonged to a womens' gardening association, so joined their scheme of being placed to garden at a historic house. I love it!

Hence the boots!

Munch
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

What a lovely thing to do

I love the early morning when the mist is rising from the fields and rolling about

I'm off to photograph a family now

see you later
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

CH was as I remember, a photographer's heaven.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

I took a few pictures there but most of my hampster and me and bad friends hangin abaht in the art skool bogs!!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Should Have

My camera was only a small simple effort, but surprisingly there was no ruling on photography - no confiscation, no forbidding of taking pictures. I really wish I had recorded more - as you say, a photographers' paradise! A frank powerful study of a hamster in the Art School loo...hmm....

Sunday Times potential!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

That is an interesting thought. We didn't have radios, record players or any of that normal stuff, but a lot of us had cameras.

I had a little Instamatic and probably still have a lot of photos somewhere, mainly 2's I suppose as there were very few friendships between houses.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote:That is an interesting thought. We didn't have radios, record players or any of that normal stuff, but a lot of us had cameras.

I had a little Instamatic and probably still have a lot of photos somewhere, mainly 2's I suppose as there were very few friendships between houses.

How true Mary. I have been wondering about that since soc asked if you were in any of the photos.

Does anyone have any insight into why this was? It wasn't that I didn't like anyone outside of 6s, it was just that we didn't associate outside of the school block.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Inter-house friendship

I was the last of my year to be left in 6's - it seemed fine to have friends in other houses too!

I'd love to find Josephine Maude again.

Munch
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think once we got further up the school there was more interaction especially in the Sixth form, I was quite friendly with a couple of 7's and Ailsa and Carol in 3's.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"