Housey Slang.....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

cj
Button Grecian

Re: Housey Slang.....

Post by cj »

With regards to toyces, I have just googled the word and was suprised to see that it is used as a Christian/given name. There is a La Toyce Lee (f) and a Toyce Le Grange (m) both registered on Facebook. (Now going to look for Lav-End Lestrange and Bocker Batty.)
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Lol ..as the young people say. ..!
Squit the Younger ? Oh dear..That is really poor but I see pages of Housey slang puns ahead of us.
Westondonkey
2nd Former

Post by Westondonkey »

You have heard it all before

Crug-Bread
Kiph-Tea
Flab-Margarine
Muck-Jam
Podge-Porridge
Cheese-National Carbolic soap
Toenail Slush-Italian mince.
Bonfasts- These probably got C.H. the well deserved mention in the ' Encyclopaedia Of Human Cruelty' if your house number was say 15 everybody in the house was entitled to give you 15 slaps on the back. It had been known for people to use cricket stumps. They were outlawed the year before I arrived, but they happened occasionally. There is a strong rumour that an old Blue wrote the training handbook for the Gestapo.
warne011
2nd Former

Post by warne011 »

What I can think of:
We still do trades in house
People use the word buff for fit/attractive
Of course squits has survived
Quiz and ego
We do use the term lav ends!
Moist-immature
Bait-obvious
That's it really.
Ellen
BAA
Current pupil
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Nice to see some of the old one still survive.

One or two of the above are new to mr, though.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

For some unknown reason the word 'drut' recently came into my head so I thought I should post while I remembered!

Whether it was a word peculiar to Maine A in the mid sixties or a more general term of CH slang I don't recall at this distance.

It was a derisory term for somebody considered wet and pathetic who needed to 'man up' to use the modern vernacular.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 pm For some unknown reason the word 'drut' recently came into my head so I thought I should post while I remembered!

Whether it was a word peculiar to Maine A in the mid sixties or a more general term of CH slang I don't recall at this distance.

It was a derisory term for somebody considered wet and pathetic who needed to 'man up' to use the modern vernacular.
I certainly don't remember this one, so must be Maine A.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Goatherd »

We used 'drut' in Peele B in the 60's. Whether it came up from Maine A when some of them transferred to Senior houses, I don't know.
Goatherd
Jabod2
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jabod2 »

Richard Ruck wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:49 pm apologies in advance to those of a sensitive nature -

The bocker whose job it was to clean the bogs in Mid.B. had a habit of regaling anyone who would listen to him about his latest discoveries therein :

"Gawd, it was THAT big, buggered if I can shift it, can't get it round the bend, wot 'ave you lot bin eating?" etc. etc.
I recall the incident in question, which was a setup. We smuggled a 'Hamburg Roast' out of dining hall for the sole purpose of giving Bogwasher Bill heart failure, and were in the adjacent stall when he found it. Stifling laughs was painful... A Hamburg Roast was a sausagemeat-based dish, 2 of which fed a whole table, so you can guess the length and girth, and it looked exactly like a gynormous richard. Suffice it to say the lid wouldn't close. Credit where credit is due - the evil genius behind this was one Chris 'Derek' Baker, I think...

Real perpetrators were generically called Submarine Jim, Polaris Pete, or Minelayer Mike (floaters...)
Last edited by Jabod2 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabod2
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jabod2 »

Mid A 15 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 pm For some unknown reason the word 'drut' recently came into my head so I thought I should post while I remembered!

Spell it backwards...
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Goatherd wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:40 pm We used 'drut'
This reminded me of an argument between our antipodean cousins plus UK contingent versus the USA gang.

Americans use the word "drug" where we use "dragged" (as in we dragged the body out of the ditch). To them "dragged" is totally wrong, unacceptable....
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Completely off topic, but in 1972 I took a bus from Costa Rica to Miami. On the US border at Nuevo Laredo, I had to go through customs. The customs lady was not amused when I answered "I think I have some aspirin" when she asked if I had any drugs.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Most discussions of Housey slang concentrate on words, but there was also Housey grammar. It particularly affected prepositions and articles.

For example, one went 'back to house', and was then 'back at house'. You went 'up' to school, or to chapel, or to choir practice. And if you were ill, you were 'over the sicker' (this was AL Johnstone's particular bête noire). You were of course 'on' the LFA, or whatever. As a punishment you were 'on silence' or 'down bottom'.

I've noticed that younger OBs on this column refer to having been 'on my deps' or even 'on my squits'. (This is a new departure.)

Are there any other examples of CH-specific grammar?
Th.B. 27 1955-63