Housey Slang.....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

3rd Former

Re: Housey Slang.....

Post by Goatherd » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:40 pm

We used 'drut' in Peele B in the 60's. Whether it came up from Maine A when some of them transferred to Senior houses, I don't know.

2nd Former

Post by Jabod2 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Richard Ruck wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:49 pm
apologies in advance to those of a sensitive nature -

The bocker whose job it was to clean the bogs in Mid.B. had a habit of regaling anyone who would listen to him about his latest discoveries therein :

"Gawd, it was THAT big, buggered if I can shift it, can't get it round the bend, wot 'ave you lot bin eating?" etc. etc.
I recall the incident in question, which was a setup. We smuggled a 'Hamburg Roast' out of dining hall for the sole purpose of giving Bogwasher Bill heart failure, and were in the adjacent stall when he found it. Stifling laughs was painful... A Hamburg Roast was a sausagemeat-based dish, 2 of which fed a whole table, so you can guess the length and girth, and it looked exactly like a gynormous richard. Suffice it to say the lid wouldn't close. Credit where credit is due - the evil genius behind this was one Chris 'Derek' Baker, I think...

Real perpetrators were generically called Submarine Jim, Polaris Pete, or Minelayer Mike (floaters...)
Last edited by Jabod2 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2nd Former

Post by Jabod2 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:01 pm

Mid A 15 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 pm
For some unknown reason the word 'drut' recently came into my head so I thought I should post while I remembered!

Whether it was a word peculiar to Maine A in the mid sixties or a more general term of CH slang I don't recall at this distance.

It was a derisory term for somebody considered wet and pathetic who needed to 'man up' to use the modern vernacular.
Spell it backwards...

Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Goatherd wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:40 pm
We used 'drut'
This reminded me of an argument between our antipodean cousins plus UK contingent versus the USA gang.

Americans use the word "drug" where we use "dragged" (as in we dragged the body out of the ditch). To them "dragged" is totally wrong, unacceptable....

Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Completely off topic, but in 1972 I took a bus from Costa Rica to Miami. On the US border at Nuevo Laredo, I had to go through customs. The customs lady was not amused when I answered "I think I have some aspirin" when she asked if I had any drugs.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)