Health & Safety...

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

Health & Safety...

Post by tobeconfirmed »

The 'health and safety guy' here reportedly had a rather odd accident in a crane, in which he was in the 'cockpit' to 'test' how high it would go, until he went over the limit, which was when the whole crane fell and slammed back down to earth. He was thankfully and amazingly not seriously injured. Did he have to be in the crane to test how far it goes up? Maybe that's where the only controls are, I don't know...

I've just had an unpleasant but very amusing and exhilirating experience involving being locked inside music school. It was 10:30pm, I'd been in there since about 10, and obviously whoever locked it inexplicably did not come and check all the rooms before doing so. So I was left inside, with the only option to jump out of the window...extremely incompetent of whomever was locking the doors, but a friend just suggested that an easier way out might have been the fire escape on the stairs. Oops, didn't think of that!

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea at all what the point is of the large central concrete area that is outside and surrounded by music school.?
Also curious as to whether anyone has any interesting stories concerning buildings, e.g. I know that two certain people once absailed up dining hall; and I've heard many rumours that some people have climbed up the south block and had picnics up there - any truth whatsoever in that? It would be interesting to hear of some adventures of this kind.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I expect you enjoyed being locked in - how did you get out...

When I was a squit, they used to have concerts in that concreted section...

I'm sure you could have forced one of the dorrs in music school if you had too!

I'm sure you have heard of the famous Andrew Mansergh incident where he abseiled down Col B on Valentine's day to give Megan Fisher some Milk Tray! LOL
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

there seems to be this misconception that 'health and safety' guys are 'healthy' and 'safe', rather than (correctly) assuming that they get the job by default!

i have many interesting stories about buildings. I can PM you some if you really want but i don't think JT is too happy about them being posted in the open; curious juniors etc.

someone managed to abseil up a building?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik - you are a pedant... ;-)

Email me some stories - in case I haven't heard them! LOL
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

I was in Maine A lav-ends one afternoon. It had snowed the night before and a few of us had been up on the quiet room roof earlier in the day to throw snowballs at passers by (extremely mature I know). I noticed that two UF,Alex Reid and a mate of his,were up on the roof arsing around. Being the responsible Grecian that I was I beckoned them back in. At this point I saw Alex lean back and then disappear compeltely from view. When I climbed up onto the sinks he was nowhere to be seen and my worst fear was that he'd fallen over the side. I asked his mate where he'd gone and he replied that he'd fallen through the skylight! I ran down the fire escape and met Alex at the bottom of the quiet room stairs, covered in blood and glass, and rather upset. He was fine, thankfully. I think he's in the army now....
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Al Reid has just recently passed out of Sandhurst - I think he's in the artillery now. If anyone remembers his big sister, Pippa, she's getting married at the weekend!

I remember when he fell through the skylight - from my memory he fell on the computers in the small computer room in the quiet room and destroyed one of them!
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

..from my memory he destoyed a monitor. Glad to hear the boy has acquired some discipline at last! He should join the SAS - they're always smashing through skylights...congrats to Pippa!!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Was it a school monitor? or just a house monitor?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

DavebytheSea wrote:Was it a school monitor? or just a house monitor?
LOL, very droll! ;-)
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

funnily enough as I was typing the words "he destroyed a monitor" I wondered if someone would be daft enough to make that joke...so congrats Dave...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

oh! Dear! :oops: :oops: :oops:
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)