Michael Cherniavsky

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Re: Michael Cherniavsky

Post by Ajarn Philip »

I'm fairly sure my post was removed in error, as I simply stated that he returned to CH in 1983 and when he died in 1992 his ashes were scattered in the grounds. I didn't know MC personally, but Internet research suggests he was highly respected and fondly remembered wherever he went.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Hi Phil.

After sorrespondence with Julian, he removed the post from a one-off poster who went a little too far over the top. I know you were defending The Churn. It wasn't YOUR post that was offensive. John R.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:Hi Phil.

After sorrespondence with Julian, he removed the post from a one-off poster who went a little too far over the top. I know you were defending The Churn. It wasn't YOUR post that was offensive. John R.
Ajarn might be having the same problem as me; posting to a forum (in my case several) and posts simply not appearing or messages being prepared for email disappearing. For me it is probably this new PC - see my sig comment. If so it is not just this forum
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Whenever we moderate anything, 99% of the time we'll comment to say what we've done - and any moderation is usually following someone bringing a topic to our attention, and us then judiciously moderating as little as possible to ensure the Forum stays within its founding principles.

If you have any PC problems you need help with, I know a great company who can provide you with assistance! www.grovegeeks.co.uk/pcsupport
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Forgive my computer ignorance but how do you know if someone's a one-off poster, unless you've waited for a while to see if he posts twice. Just think what would have happened if EMI had declared the Beatles to be one-hit wonders after Love Me Do and had terminated their contract before Please Please Me. The poster was alleging all sorts of things in Barnes B in the 1950s but suppose he was right? How can you know unless others who were there at the time come in with their two pen'orth?
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

rockfreak wrote:

After correspondence with Julian, he removed the post from a one-off poster who went a little too far over the top. I know you were defending The Churn. It wasn't YOUR post that was offensive. John R.
The poster was alleging all sorts of things in Barnes B in the 1950s but suppose he was right? How can you know unless others who were there at the time come in with their two pen'orth?
Must have missed the offending post, but as someone who joined Barnes B in 1959 and had Cherniavsky as housemaster for a year, I would have liked to know what was said to compare them with my memories.
Mind you, as a squit, I spent most of my time trying not to peer over the parapet to notice much of what was going on at the other end of the house, or even in the lower dormitory.
I seem to remember that Paddy Cullen was junior housemaster, and that both were replaced at the end of the year, by C J Miller and Noel Simms, if memory serves me right.
Keibat was there even earlier and so would have better knowledge of what went on.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote:

Forgive my computer ignorance but how do you know if someone's a one-off poster, unless you've waited for a while to see if he posts twice. Just think what would have happened if EMI had declared the Beatles to be one-hit wonders after Love Me Do and had terminated their contract before Please Please Me. The poster was alleging all sorts of things in Barnes B in the 1950s but suppose he was right? How can you know unless others who were there at the time come in with their two pen'orth?

Moderators can check when posters have been active on this site, and indeed, if they have made fresh posts....

In fact, Julian, as Head Honcho has even more powers than that. SIMPLES........

I trust this answers your question.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:
rockfreak wrote:

After correspondence with Julian, he removed the post from a one-off poster who went a little too far over the top. I know you were defending The Churn. It wasn't YOUR post that was offensive. John R.
The poster was alleging all sorts of things in Barnes B in the 1950s but suppose he was right? How can you know unless others who were there at the time come in with their two pen'orth?
Must have missed the offending post, but as someone who joined Barnes B in 1959 and had Cherniavsky as housemaster for a year, I would have liked to know what was said to compare them with my memories.
Mind you, as a squit, I spent most of my time trying not to peer over the parapet to notice much of what was going on at the other end of the house, or even in the lower dormitory.
I seem to remember that Paddy Cullen was junior housemaster, and that both were replaced at the end of the year, by C J Miller and Noel Simms, if memory serves me right.
Keibat was there even earlier and so would have better knowledge of what went on.

John.

I'm about to PM you.

John.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Thanks John

Have replied and can only add that the thoughts expressed in the deleted article do not line up with my memories.

Probably best that unsupported comments remain unpublished.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

I'm glad I don't carry the responsibility of deciding which articles should be published and which should be deleted.

I did see the "offending article" before it was deleted. It suggested things that I had not been aware of, so it did surprise me. On the other hand, it was no more outrageous than a good deal of today's public discourse, so it didn't greatly offend me. I have no way of knowing whether there was any truth in it. I'm inclined to think not, but I'm also aware of my own ignorance. In any case, it didn't say anything so significant that the "public interest" would demand its publication.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

jhopgood wrote:Thanks John

Have replied and can only add that the thoughts expressed in the deleted article do not line up with my memories.

Probably best that unsupported comments remain unpublished.
But if they are unpublished how do you support or contest them?
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

The forum is not for debating potential controversy or individual allegations - it was not setup for that, and never designed for that purpose.
So by all means debate it, just not on here please.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Thank you Julian.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

My contribution was deleted presumably because it quoted the offending post. I can only say what was in the public domain at the time, namely: Three BaB monitors were de-monned (for reasons unknown to me); three monitors (incl. a house captain) were brought in from other houses the next term; Chern was replaced as housemaster by Chris Miller.

I presume (and so did everyone else) that the reason for the latter was that Seaman thought a tougher hand was needed. Chern was, as everyone knew, not a disciplinarian, and I think even his admirers (of which I was one) would agree that he displayed a certain unworldliness which might not have made him the best person to run a house in the context of c. 1960.

Pat Cullen was junior housemaster; he was presumably 'next in line' for a senior housemastership, and moved to ThB when John Page moved to ThA. (But I don't think this happened at precisely the same time as the above, though I can't remember.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

At least two of the three came from MaA. It left us scrambling to find additional people to become monitors basically a year early. I never knew why the transfer took place (I don't remember any other cases) other than "BaB needed extra monitors"
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg