Explanation of the 'Tube'

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: Explanation of the 'Tube'

Post by jtaylor »

There's no tunnel - just pipes. The Tube was only to make access to services easier - for the water to sharpenhirst, a tunnel (as opposed to a trench) would have been excessive. Digging up those pipes if needed wouldn't be problem - but digging up The Avenue would!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The idea of a Tube to Sharpenhurst is, frankly, absurd.

Nothing wrong with a comma before 'and', though. It's recommended by the OUP and called the 'Oxford comma'.

I'd never thought I'd see an OB write 'wouldn't of'. But I think cazzro is deliberately trying to provoke us with factitious illiteracy.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Cazzro
3rd Former

Post by Cazzro »

:D Oh dear, I'm extremely sorry for my incorrect grammar.
Cazzro
3rd Former

Post by Cazzro »

If i had know of the forums formality, I would have made sure i had no grammar mistakes what so ever. :)
(i bet you i got something wrong in that)
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Cazzro wrote:If i had know of the forums formality, I would have made sure i had no grammar mistakes what so ever. :)
I thought "whatsoever" was usually written as one word? :wink: (Or maybe I'm wrong and it is actually slang?)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Cazzro wrote:If i had know of the forums formality, I would have made sure i had no grammar mistakes what so ever. :)
Seeing you ask:

I
known
forum's
I
whatsoever
I
I
Th.B. 27 1955-63
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

"wotsewevvar" nardaze, innit? :roll:
BEANY
2nd Former

Post by BEANY »

I think that the water supply from the well under Sharpenhurst was piped through
the tunnel together with the complex steam pipe system which enabled cooking in the
school kitchen as well as the central heating and plumbing to the "ends",
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Here’s some internal photos of the reservoir taken by urban explorers a couple of years ago...
https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/s ... -15.96206/
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

Great Plum wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:00 pm Here’s some internal photos of the reservoir taken by urban explorers a couple of years ago...
https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/s ... -15.96206/
Nice, hadn't seen any properly lit photos from there. Definitely much bigger than you'd have guessed from the outside.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Cazzro wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:40 pm :D Oh dear, I'm extremely sorry for my incorrect grammar.
What is "correct" grammar? I am in constant touch with many authors, mainly US nationals, and this is the subject of constant argument. They seem to have at least three schools of thought of which The Chicago School get a lot of column inches. Certainly spelling is not the only major difference to proper English. As has to be the case one character considers Cajun to be proper whilst Hillbilly has more adherants.

In our London office we had two weighty tomes of correct grammar (or claimed to be so). One, which I still have, was published by the Readers Digest in London. The other was the Financial Times guide for their contributors of what is acceptable (which my secretary got). Yes, we did argue which was correct.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

BEANY wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:05 pm the complex steam pipe system which enabled cooking in the
school kitchen
I imagine that's "cooking" in its loosest possible sense!

Is it true that the tube goes all the way out to the station? You can clearly see a bricked up arch at the bottom of the underpass to the other platform...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Jim Rayner
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jim Rayner »

marty wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:09 pm
Is it true that the tube goes all the way out to the station? You can clearly see a bricked up arch at the bottom of the underpass to the other platform...
The bricked up arch will because when the lovely old station building was demolished the new one was built on top of what had been platforms 1 & 2. Originally the subway extended out to a spot that is now under the car park.

This is an interesting account of the history of the station https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ' ... ay_station

I’m fairly sure the tube only extended as far as the laundry/boiler building, which was to the left of the old gym building. One Sunday afternoon in about 1972 I and two others (whose names I’ll protect) walked past the laundry building and noticing the door was open decided to wander in. Just inside the door we’re steps going down to the tube, so of course we went down them and started walking. Most of the way it was quite wide and sufficient light came in from the thick skylights that ran alongside the Post Office path. But when we got nearer the Dining Hall it was dark and we could hear noisy machinery. So climbing on the pipes we lifted up a skylight cover and clambered out onto the grass. Unfortunately the clerk (Robinson?) who lived in the house that faces that way (Crossways?) was enjoying his Sunday tea and spotted us. We were dragged in front of Michael Carrington, who let us off very lightly and just told us to go and clean ourselves up. I’m fairly sure he misunderstood where we’d been and just thought we’d been caught emerging up the steps from the normal tube.
LHA 67-70; ThA 70-74
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

marty wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:09 pm
BEANY wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:05 pm the complex steam pipe system which enabled cooking in the
school kitchen
I imagine that's "cooking" in its loosest possible sense!

I think your question has been asked on her before, Marty. Maybe you should troll through old posts.

Incidently, everytime I spot your avatar, it reminds me of that brilliant film we have all discussed before.

I wonder what IF Lindsay Anderson had introduced master/pupil abuse into his fantastic film. He did come very close with the monitor/pretty boy relationship. People would probably have said... "Oh No - That would never ever happen in such a good school !"

Just shows you how times change.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

J.R. wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:05 pm

I think your question has been asked on her before, Marty. Maybe you should troll through old posts.

Incidently, everytime I spot your avatar, it reminds me of that brilliant film we have all discussed before.

I wonder what IF Lindsay Anderson had introduced master/pupil abuse into his fantastic film. He did come very close with the monitor/pretty boy relationship. People would probably have said... "Oh No - That would never ever happen in such a good school !"

Just shows you how times change.
Thanks JR. I will have a trawl, rather than a troll! Apologies for the pedantry but I think you'll appreciate it!!! :lol:

If... was truly ahead of it's time. My current favourite quote, which I find frighteningly current is "Education in Britain is a nubile Cinderella: sparsely clad and much interfered with."
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.