Picture in the Times ? Housey

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Picture in the Times ? Housey

Post by Mid A 15 »

It certainly doesn't look like anywhere I can recall from Horsham.

I'm with the London theory too I think although did they not have boys in Hertford too pre Horsham?

In other words could it be Hertford?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote:Based on photos from a booklet "Christ's Hospital in Photographs", it is a Ward from London. There is a similar picture on page 25.
If so then full marks - not - to the Times for a totally relevant illustration.

I agree that the lighting looks like a gas appliance of which I have seen and used many when young.

The ward / dormitory looks wrong for a house at Horsham. We didn't have the considerable woodwork at shoulder height (looks a bit like a radiator cover)- just a simply moulding if I remember right. At one end the end of each dormitory we had cubicles - not very high - and behind them at both ends a plain solid wall with glazed doors in the centre leading to the washrooms - nothing like the cupboards and solid door shown in a recess different to the Horsham dormitories. We had no tables in the dormitories (these look too narrow for those in the dayroom and dining hall) whilst the benches are like those in the dining hall. We had no padded chairs anywhere and we never wore coats in the house unless for special occasions like Prep, prayers or about to go out. (I'm not sure we even took our coats up to the dormitory). The boy in bed on the right seems to be wearing a nightcap - used in earlier centuries but not in the 1950's or later.

I do accept that the sicker is a possibility - I was generally too "off" to notice my surroundings there but yes, there were tables in the middle of the main wards.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Another one from Mr Hopgood, sent to me as "WardPhoto", perhaps he can add some details as to where/when it came from.

Incidentally where has Harsha's guide to posting gone, and is there an easier way than via Photobucket?

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

So who is going to send a letter to the Times to point out using an uncopyrighted work that is more than a century old is not a great illustration of a modern Psychoanalytical Study? :?
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by John Saunders »

Great picture. Gas light is the same as Times picture. Suggest photo taken same time as the Times version but slightly to the left and nearer the end wall. Height of window above ground-no way of looking out again points to late 19th century architecture for schools. However what is the ladder that appears to go nowhere? A portable escape step perhaps. The Grecian has adopted a Byronesque pose so is he is taking detention.. Very convict -like haircuts on the boys.
And speaking of convicts this may be of interest to those who enjoy historical jumps in time.
In 1949 I was travelling home in Housey Uniform from Liverpool street when I was addressed by a Lady who said that her Father had been educated at Housey and that one of the favourite pastimes was to watch the hangings in Newgate Prison from a high vantage point in the school.Apparently a bell chimed as a warning to the malefactors and alerted the boys.
Regards John Saunders
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

[quote="englishangel"]Another one from Mr Hopgood, sent to me as "WardPhoto", perhaps he can add some details as to where/when it came from.

See above, page 25
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
efsis
3rd Former

Post by efsis »

Ha Ha Ha! Love the last paragraph in the cutting from The Times.
I was unhappy every minute of my years of being at CH..and I still had to stay. Refund please?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Now --- WHO is it who owns the "Times?"---------- :lol: :lol: :lol:
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

It's certainly NOT the Infirmary at Horsham :)
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

John Saunders wrote:Was Horsham ever illuminated by gas-unlikely?
It was all-electric from first build - a DC system with its own generating station. It got connected to the mains and went over to AC in my time - around 1956, I think.

I'm inclined to believe that the photos are of a ward in London, but I've no evidence to confirm that.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Since, it appears, that the Times has made a total, and somewhat insulting, cock-up of this story, is there any chance of an apology --- or at least a correction ?

I am not holding my breath ---- ! :lol:
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Not unless one of us tells them......
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Since, it appears, that the Times has made a total, and somewhat insulting, cock-up of this story, is there any chance of an apology --- or at least a correction ?

I am not holding my breath ---- ! :lol:
It does say "things have improved since this photo was taken" at least 110 years ago!!!!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

John Saunders wrote:Great picture. Gas light is the same as Times picture. Suggest photo taken same time as the Times version but slightly to the left and nearer the end wall. Height of window above ground-no way of looking out again points to late 19th century architecture for schools. However what is the ladder that appears to go nowhere? A portable escape step perhaps. The Grecian has adopted a Byronesque pose so is he is taking detention.. Very convict -like haircuts on the boys.
And speaking of convicts this may be of interest to those who enjoy historical jumps in time.
In 1949 I was travelling home in Housey Uniform from Liverpool street when I was addressed by a Lady who said that her Father had been educated at Housey and that one of the favourite pastimes was to watch the hangings in Newgate Prison from a high vantage point in the school.Apparently a bell chimed as a warning to the malefactors and alerted the boys.
Regards John Saunders

Quite possible. I would have to check the exact date of when executions at Newgate were moved from 'outside' to 'inside'. The bell announcing the execution is quite correct, and continued for a short time after executions became 'private'.

Just for the record, my maternal Grand-Mother, (as a very young girl), was taken to see the last public hanging in London.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
John Saunders wrote:Great picture. Gas light is the same as Times picture. Suggest photo taken same time as the Times version but slightly to the left and nearer the end wall. Height of window above ground-no way of looking out again points to late 19th century architecture for schools. However what is the ladder that appears to go nowhere? A portable escape step perhaps. The Grecian has adopted a Byronesque pose so is he is taking detention.. Very convict -like haircuts on the boys.
Regards John Saunders

Quite possible. I would have to check the exact date of when executions at Newgate were moved from 'outside' to 'inside'. The bell announcing the execution is quite correct, and continued for a short time after executions became 'private'.

Just for the record, my maternal Grand-Mother, (as a very young girl), was taken to see the last public hanging in London.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A987861

It appears that the last public hanging at Newgate was in 1868 and the last one of all in 1902.