Picture in the Times ? Housey

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Picture in the Times ? Housey

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

englishangel wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Since, it appears, that the Times has made a total, and somewhat insulting, cock-up of this story, is there any chance of an apology --- or at least a correction ?

I am not holding my breath ---- ! :lol:
It does say "things have improved since this photo was taken" at least 110 years ago!!!!!!
Now THAT would have been a challenge, in the Debate with the Grecians on Old BLue's Day ------ "It was better in my time"
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

John Saunders wrote:Great picture. Gas light is the same as Times picture. Suggest photo taken same time as the Times version but slightly to the left and nearer the end wall. Height of window above ground-no way of looking out again points to late 19th century architecture for schools. However what is the ladder that appears to go nowhere? A portable escape step perhaps. The Grecian has adopted a Byronesque pose so is he is taking detention.. Very convict -like haircuts on the boys.
And speaking of convicts this may be of interest to those who enjoy historical jumps in time.
In 1949 I was travelling home in Housey Uniform from Liverpool street when I was addressed by a Lady who said that her Father had been educated at Housey and that one of the favourite pastimes was to watch the hangings in Newgate Prison from a high vantage point in the school.Apparently a bell chimed as a warning to the malefactors and alerted the boys.
Regards John Saunders
I think the ladder does go somewhere. If you look, the left bannister stops short, and there is a door in the structure sticking out of the wall. My question is, what is that structure? It seems too small and claustrophobic to be sleeping area for one of the senior boys.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

If anyone has the time, email addresses are on this page, feel free to add me as a co-signatory :lol:

http://www.timesplus.co.uk/welcome/tp_contact.htm
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Have just seen this thread, and really doubt the accuracy of the story as well - my ds1 boards occasionally, and he is 7, and LOVES it. He is very cross with us to come home again!
simongibbs
3rd Former

Post by simongibbs »

The photograph that appeared in The Times also appears on page 12 in the Postcards book in the excellent Christ’s Hospital Heritage series of books. The picture shows the Infirmary at London. The original postcard shows a nurse standing on the left of the picture, which is a bit of a clue. If The Times had reproduced the full picture it would no doubt have caused further confusion amongst the public given the name of the school and/or might have suggested that the psychological damage of attending a boarding school was so great that it sent many pupils over the edge such that they needed 24 hour nursing care.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I think that MOST of us --- although not all --- believe that we went to the Best School in the World !

I realise that it ain't perfect, and has changed over the years --- but I can't think of a better one !

I would have LOVED to send my children there, but I was too rich/too poor to do so, and they (SSSHHH) were not bright enough !