Scalextric shocker...

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Scalextric shocker...

Post by Straz »

I was a huge Scalextric fan before I got to CH, and was delighted to find a four-lane Scalextric set when I arrived in LHA. It was great to race the set's Panther and Europa Vee grand prix cars, but after a while they felt a little slow and pedestrian. Consequently it wasn't too long before we started building our own, much faster, slot cars to race on the track. I remember assembling 1/32nd Riko slot car kits, often with excellent results. Three other cars I remember from this period were a 1/24th Ford Popular, painted in metallic blue, a 1/24th Renault Caravelle (owned by Mark Whitaker I believe), and my own very fast but difficult to handle 1/32nd AMT Studebaker Avanti. I also recall many hours of tinkering and making fine adjustments to Scalextric cars, and therein lies a shocking tale...

I believe it was the summer of 1971. I had just made some fine adjustment to one of my Scalextric cars and decided to run a quick test on it in LHA's hobbies room. I plugged in the Scalextric mains transformer, connected the hand throttle to the transformer and the track, and then tried the car. Nothing. Not a bloomin' bleep.

Irritated I yanked the mains plug out of the socket, without turning the socket off. However in my haste I had forgotten that a few weeks before I had had to change the plug's fuse. Unfortunately I had mislaid the large screw from the mains plug, and had simply sellotaped the cover onto the plug. Now, as I yanked the plug out, suddenly the plug's cover came off in my hand. One of my fingers strayed into the live plug and I touched the fuse.

Within nano seconds I shot about 20ft across LHA's hobbies room and slammed into a wooden cupboard door. My whole body was shaking and, quite understandably, I burst into tears. I was still shaking an hour later, and It was many weeks before I went back to tinkering with my Scalextric cars...

To this day, that incident in LHA's hobbies room remains the biggest electric shock I have ever had. Not to be recommended.

Any other Scalextric memories?
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75