MEMORABLE THEATRE OR MUSIC CONCERT AT CH

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Re: MEMORABLE THEATRE OR MUSIC CONCERT AT CH

Post by mvgrogan »

not sure it was ever released....

JJT - what a character! don't think I've seen him since my last stint with NYMT as FOH manager at Edinburgh in 1996.

So Adam, what are you doing in the west end? I worked for Stoll Moss for three and a half years in the early nineties before I went freelance.

Did you know that CH owns a large chunk of Shaftesbury Avenue - including the block where the Lyric, Apollo, Queens & Stoll Moss offices were?
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I have just fished out of the loft a boxful of old CH paperwork. It includes programmes for Castles in the Air, Jungle Book, Noyes Fludde, and lots of others. I also have on VCR the TV 'Down Your Way' programme featuring Bodywork including shots of Maria rehearsing the Appendix part with Richard Stilgoe - I used to bring it out to scare boyfriends!! JJT was involved some years ago with rehearsals for an NYMT production of Pendragon which took place (the rehearsals) at our local community arts centre. By a strange coincidence it is just being revived with children from local schools at the Rose Theatre in Kingston.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

mvgrogan wrote:not sure it was ever released....

JJT - what a character! don't think I've seen him since my last stint with NYMT as FOH manager at Edinburgh in 1996.

So Adam, what are you doing in the west end? I worked for Stoll Moss for three and a half years in the early nineties before I went freelance.

Did you know that CH owns a large chunk of Shaftesbury Avenue - including the block where the Lyric, Apollo, Queens & Stoll Moss offices were?
I worked for Ticketmaster as Marketing Manager in the late 90's working first on West end Theatre and other London/south East.

I did know about the CH link, it all came up when Delfont Mackintosh took over the Queens and the other theatres in 98/99 or so. What did/do you do?
Barnes B / Mid A
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

I started as an usher/merchandise at the Palladium (?89 ish I think) then FOH at various others including a bit of management at the Royalty then Box Office mainly at the Lyric but when they computerised I ended up in the phone room so I got fed up & left to work for the Chippendales :shock:

Did that for about 6 months (happy days :lol: ) and then went freelance as an adminstrator working with a consultant based in Teddington until I finally went to Uni in 94 to get a certificate to prove I could do the job I was doing! Did a semester in Finland, met H2B, graduated in 97, worked admin at De Montfort Hall for a few years, then it all went horribly wrong and I ended up as a Letting Agent!!

Long story short, sold business in 07 to move to Finland and here I am - full time mum, part time book sales (Usborne books http://www.usborneonline.org/MariaVatanen)

The story of my life since CH in a nutshell....I bet you're sorry you asked :D ..and it all started with the merger in 85 and I found the theatre....

How about you? what happened after Ticketmaster?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

mvgrogan wrote:Iand it all started with the merger in 85 and I found the theatre....
I can remember you were hardly ever in house :lol: You were always off to the theatre (or so you said! :lol: ).
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I caught some of the Pinter night on BBC 4 last night.

A 1986 version of The Birthday Party was part of it and it reminded me that my introduction to Pinter was a CH production in Big School featuring an excellent performance from Peter Bastick as Stanley.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

mvgrogan wrote:
run an organisation developing partnerships between business and the cultural sector in the North East, based in Newcastle. No two days the same, lots of fun, credit crunch aside...
Barnes B / Mid A
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Vonny wrote:
mvgrogan wrote:Iand it all started with the merger in 85 and I found the theatre....
I can remember you were hardly ever in house :lol: You were always off to the theatre (or so you said! :lol: ).
Vonny, are you throwing nasterciums at me? :lol:
adlop wrote:
mvgrogan wrote:
run an organisation developing partnerships between business and the cultural sector in the North East, based in Newcastle. No two days the same, lots of fun, credit crunch aside...
Adam - Sounds interesting - I'm hoping to get involved with the City of Culture - TURKU 2011 - but 2 little kiddies and a lack of Finnish Language skills are slowing me down somewhat!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I remember from my squits David Newell (then second monitor) playing Salieri in Amadeus - amazing...

I was in three plays at the theatre... one was Peer Gynt (the junior play) that had been truncated from its original length of 3 and half days to a much more manageable (but still very boring and unintelligable) 2.5 hours. I played a priest and said the same thing at the start of the first act and at the second... memorable only because I remember someone counting the number of times Mr Ward took his glasses off and put them on again in one rehearsal...

The second was on my UF - Orpheus and the Underworld - a DNP spectaular - we had a sloping stage, a cast of 130 (me in the chorus right at the back trying not to do the Can Can), Tom Jeffers in leather on a motorbike, a singing headmaster and a squit who broke her arm falling into the orchestra pit...

The third was on my Deps (I thought I had got out of acting by then!) but my friend Tim Edwards persuaded us to put on a performance of Terry Pratchet's Mort. It was only the second time it had been done and was a bit of comic farce from start to finish... It was notable because Matt Holliday (who played Death) had a full mask on and had a throat mike in order he COULD SPEAK IN CAPITALS - no one from his house knew it was him!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

We had a lot of G&S in my time at CH
I remember that the brilliant Mr Malins produced "'Omlet" in my last year, in which I played Polonius,
the review, states "A shrewd piece of casting -- as a buffoon !" -- now i ask you :oops:
The whole Cast were taken to see a "Famous Actor" (Whose name now escapes me ! ) playing Omlet,---and this was quite exceptional expense for CH during the War !
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

I was in a Barnes B house play where I played a fat woman addicted to chartreuse. The ladies clothes I had to wear including a bra the size of 2 parachutes smelt musty. Then in Peele B I was in "One Way Pendulum" playing a singing weighing machine and performed the play stuck inside a number of painted cardboard boxes - How I suffered for my art!
Then Duncan Noel Paton arrived and I was in "Indians" (in Big School) where I first heard "Metal Guru" by T Rex, and later on was in "Cain" in the brand new theatre). I still have the dreadful record. It was all good fun
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

huntertitus wrote:... and later on was in "Cain" in the brand new theatre). I still have the dreadful record.
So do I. Bands like Visitor 2035 were the reason punk had to happen........

Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Hey Dick - would you like to see what Rory looks like now? I was sent a photo of him recently. He's a died in the wool smoker and doesn't give a monkeys about the health implications! If you send me your email address I'll send it to you. (info@robinft.co.uk)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

huntertitus wrote:Hey Dick - would you like to see what Rory looks like now? I was sent a photo of him recently. He's a died in the wool smoker and doesn't give a monkeys about the health implications! If you send me your email address I'll send it to you. (info@robinft.co.uk)
Have sent e-mail.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Have sent photo!