"They were sweet and meant well"

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Re: "They were sweet and meant well"

Post by chaosriddenyears »

I'd hate to think that Nutto was alienated as a consequence of the last war - the Austrians are still suffering under a Nazi image (whether real or imagined) and are very sensitive about it. It infuriates me to see my children affected by this as well.

I'd forgotten Ms Copley - she was a really nice teacher. I also liked Mr.Upton. He was a bit of a joke because he was so vague and didn't seem to relate very closely to any event that occurred after the Fall of the Roman Empire. He firmly believed that we were dear innocent young ladies and we had a lot of fun with this but we liked him.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I was never taught by Mr Upton as he arrived just as I was going into the VIth form, and I didn't do Latin A Level (which I rather regret now). He is still alive, aged 90-something, and there was a picture of him in the Hertford Museum exhibition last year.

Miss Copley was nice - I think it was probably her first teaching job and she wasn't much older than us.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

chaosriddenyears wrote:I'd hate to think that Nutto was alienated as a consequence of the last war - the Austrians are still suffering under a Nazi image (whether real or imagined) and are very sensitive about it. It infuriates me to see my children affected by this as well.

I'd forgotten Ms Copley - she was a really nice teacher. I also liked Mr.Upton. He was a bit of a joke because he was so vague and didn't seem to relate very closely to any event that occurred after the Fall of the Roman Empire. He firmly believed that we were dear innocent young ladies and we had a lot of fun with this but we liked him.
Re Nutto: It might not have been this at all, it was only a thought, as it was a relatively short time after the war.
Fran
2nd Former

Post by Fran »

I think Mr Upton has recently died, there was a short obit in the Church Times last month.
Fran
4's ('74 - '79)
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Church Times? Was Mr Upton ordained? I'll check it out - if so he deserves a mention in The Old Blue too.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Hmm, more difficult than I imagined - the Church Times online is, of course, subscription only. And I don't know if Mr Upton was well enough known to have an obituary anywhere else. Plus, it's not an uncommon surname and I don't know his first name. Can anyone help? Fran, do you by any chance still have a copy of the Church Times in question please?
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Fran
2nd Former

Post by Fran »

If you google the Church Times + his name I think you'll find it, I just came across it online when I was googling CH!
Fran
4's ('74 - '79)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Fran wrote:If you google the Church Times + his name I think you'll find it, I just came across it online when I was googling CH!
Hopefully this link will work.

http://www.churchtimes.co.uk/content.asp?id=75477

I think this is the right chap as CH gets a mention.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Many thanks, I should have taken a step back and thought of that! If no-one has any objection, I'll also pull a few comments (nice ones!) about him from here, unless anyone would like to write a short piece specifically?

Never knew he was ordained. Not that there's any reason I would have done, but some priests do insist on wearing their clerical collars everywhere and I never saw Mr Upton in one. (My dad hated that, he thought it was pretentious to wear it more than necessary so he saved it for services and hospital visiting :) )
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Interesting to hear that the "Heidelburg Accent wa staught by an Austrian.
I once worked with an Austrian (In S.Africa) who to annoy me, would speak German (Which I do, reasonably fluently) in Austrian German -- which was unintelligible !
The same thing applies in Switzerland, where my Elder Son has lived for 25 years, Schweitzer Deutch is virtually another language, I went to a comic Play, and laughed ,whenever everyone else did --- didn't understand a word ! :oops:

I regret that I cannot remember the name of the first Female Teacher at Horsham, a stunning Blonde --- perhaps she wasn't -- but to starved 17 year olds, she was absolutely Gorgeous ! this was 1946 :heart:
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Interesting to hear that the "Heidelburg Accent wa staught by an Austrian.
I once worked with an Austrian (In S.Africa) who to annoy me, would speak German (Which I do, reasonably fluently) in Austrian German -- which was unintelligible !
The same thing applies in Switzerland, where my Elder Son has lived for 25 years, Schweitzer Deutch is virtually another language, I went to a comic Play, and laughed ,whenever everyone else did --- didn't understand a word ! :oops:

I regret that I cannot remember the name of the first Female Teacher at Horsham, a stunning Blonde --- perhaps she wasn't -- but to starved 17 year olds, she was absolutely Gorgeous ! this was 1946 :heart:
Sadly, we were not given any Male Teachers who could possibly have been described as stunning, even by starvation standards!

Your Austrian colleague must have been speaking dialect quite deliberately just to annoy you - was he perhaps Viennese? It would be a very Viennese kind of thing to do. Although Austrian German IS different to German-German - I've been here so long I don't notice these things anymore!
I agree, the Swiss are often very difficult (even impossible) to understand. They speak as well in a kind of dotted rhythm and as though they have something stuck in their throat.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

.. and if you really want to have fun, try schwaebische deutsch...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Jo wrote:Church Times? Was Mr Upton ordained? .

I think so! We used to call him "The Reverend Dante Gabriella Socrates Upton" - don't remember who started that one.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Euterpe13 wrote:.. and if you really want to have fun, try schwaebische deutsch...
What does a sheep say in Schwaebia? No, no sorry, I'll go away :oops:

Speaking probably only for myself, I thought there was a certain sweetness about Mr Mulholland. :oops: again.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Never had 'Monty" Mulholland as a teacher - but he had frighteningly bushy ginger eyebrows and an obsequious manner of rubbing his hands together as he eyed you up and down, slurping saliva through his teeth!! I was always one for eye-ing the mannerisms and foibles of staff members - with a view to later mimmicry!! Didn't stand me in much good stead with the staff sometimes, but I had fun!