Favourite teacher

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Favourite teacher

Post by J.R. »

I also know from a conversation with him that he worked 'behind-enemy-lines' in North Africa.

That smacks of the LRDG ! He told us in class how they were short of salt for a couple of days, and when relieved, ate salt tablets which tasted like sugar to him as their bodies were so short of the substance.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Killer was the Best Hall warden ever and such a great guy too. He taught me Biology for a while...his son Dominic won the scholarship (Morehead) to that university in USA...

Can anyone enlighten me on the history teacher, Andrew Husband...?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Vièr Bliu wrote:
michael scuffil wrote:I am trying to be a detective and date this pic.
Summer 1984 (ref: p3, The Blue, Summer Term 1984)

Ah yes, I remember it well...

Our last term Geraint...well you stayed for Oxbridge of course. I think it's a Deps English lesson and being Senior Grecian I had already given the green light for allowing half housey dress because of the weather. It looks like Grant Bardesely is in this photo and maybe a guy called Tim Coxall...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

CHAZ wrote:
He was my (medieval) history teacher. Didn't he have a son (and maybe daughter) at the school?
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Vonny wrote:
CHAZ wrote:
He was my (medieval) history teacher. Didn't he have a son (and maybe daughter) at the school?
Yes mine too and he did have a son who just started in 1983 or 1984...I don't know when he left though and where he ended up...?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Vonny wrote:
CHAZ wrote:
2 sons and a daughter...

He 'left' sometime on my 3rd form (1993/4)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I have been browsing this topic and you will realise that any teacher post-1946 is unknown to me !
However, for the benefit of the Geriatrics -- what about Teddy Edwards who lived in the Master's house opposite Ba B and taught History in a fascinating way. I shall, forever remember the date of Charles 1 execution, he wrote on the black board (!) 1649 with the 9 ad an AXE --- I imgine we have all remembered it !
Somebody mentioned salt deprivation inthe LRDG in N Africa. I served, (Not LRDG !) in the Sudan, and we had salt tablets on the Mess table at meals. If one didn't take salt, the result was a complete "Droop" and fatigue, most unpleasant, but it is corrected within minutes by a teaspoonful of the NaCl.
My wife (Ex Nurse) tells me that it is neccessary to correct the electrolytes in the body, and an excess of Potassium causes heart problems ! ---- Now you know why I changed my first wife -- a Model for my second -- a Nurse, that's how a man's priorities change in his Life ! !
I imagine that should get the Hertford Mob going !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I remember Teddy Edwards.

Didn't he become the School Librarian ?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

J.R. wrote:I remember Teddy Edwards.

Didn't he become the School Librarian ?

Yes, but by the time you knew him he was very doddery and was never seen without a cap and a scarf. As librarian he removed an issue of the New Statesman which had a front-page editorial supporting the decriminalization of homosexual acts. Magee has some critical words about him too: he (Magee) was given a bollocking in class for utterances not entirely supportive of the British Empire.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

As a frequent visitor to the Library, I always found 'Teddy' to be a lovely guy.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I have been browsing this topic and you will realise that any teacher post-1946 is unknown to me !
However, for the benefit of the Geriatrics -- what about Teddy Edwards who lived in the Master's house opposite Ba B and taught History in a fascinating way. I shall, forever remember the date of Charles 1 execution, he wrote on the black board (!) 1649 with the 9 ad an AXE --- I imgine we have all remembered it !
Somebody mentioned salt deprivation inthe LRDG in N Africa. I served, (Not LRDG !) in the Sudan, and we had salt tablets on the Mess table at meals. If one didn't take salt, the result was a complete "Droop" and fatigue, most unpleasant, but it is corrected within minutes by a teaspoonful of the NaCl.
My wife (Ex Nurse) tells me that it is neccessary to correct the electrolytes in the body, and an excess of Potassium causes heart problems ! ---- Now you know why I changed my first wife -- a Model for my second -- a Nurse, that's how a man's priorities change in his Life ! !
I imagine that should get the Hertford Mob going !
Gee, I ain't never been part of a mob before!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

J.R. wrote:As a frequent visitor to the Library, I always found 'Teddy' to be a lovely guy.
Don't get me wrong, I thought so too. And he was "honorary" librarian, so he did it for nothing.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

michael scuffil wrote:
J.R. wrote:As a frequent visitor to the Library, I always found 'Teddy' to be a lovely guy.
Don't get me wrong, I thought so too. And he was "honorary" librarian, so he did it for nothing.
I think he'd gone by the time I arrived.

I'm racking my brains trying to recall the librarian during my time. Olive Peto rings a distant bell but I'm really not sure and, like JR, I spent a fair amount of time in the library.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

michael scuffil wrote:
I think I went there once to see what it was all about. The reception was such that I never dared go anywhere near the place again.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

For myself Bill Kirby was the best. He looked forward to the day when I would get a secretary, as he, and everyone else, deplored my bad writing. Every report complained about it.
I have a soft spot for Reggie Dean; I only knew him for one term, after I had failed O-level French. He taught Finch and me well: he said if we passed that he would eat his hat. We did, but he didn't
Kit Aitken was a good housemaster, though I do not think he was a very good teacher.
Col A 1946-1953